Does it ever fascinate you? 3rd Party and Hasbro Pricing

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exomega255, May 24, 2011.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Hey, I am a big 3rd party nut. I think most of the 3rd party prices are reasonable. (in fact, even when others complaint about them, I still think its reasonable)

As I am sitting at my cube, "pretending to work", I thought about just Hasbro and 3rd party price and I recognize why some collectors don't dabble in 3rd party.

THIS IS NOT A COMPLAIN THREAD. Its just a discussion/rant.

I mean, have you thought about things like:

FP Warcry/Flameblast, being MORE expensive than a DOTM leader Sentinel Prime?

Or

How FP sidearm is almost the same price as DOTM Topspin, or Classics Warpath?

Or

even Devil's Horn CJ upgrade kit's money can be used to buy 2 generations deluxe, like Thundercracker and Wheeljack?

Or

For the amount that TFC Devy will probably cost, you can buy the entire DotM Hasbro line?

When I take a step back, sometimes these comparisons stuns me. I know all the reasoning. And I find them reasonable. Its just still, "wow" sometimes.

Have any of you thought about it?

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Yeah...when you take a step back it's ridiculous what we spend.

3. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    True, true. But then again, you could look at it the other way: I think my HOS Prime is worth more than two ROTF Leaders. I'd rather have the 3 FP insecticons over all of the DoTM Leaders. I don't have them, but given the choice (and the money), I would take Warcry and Flameblast over 7 HFTD scouts. At least that's what I try to tell myself when my paypal account has $0 because I spent it all on 3rd party figures :D  If you have no regrets, then it doesn't matter what it cost.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    lol so true. And I agree. Although, it wouldn't be Warcry AND flameblast for 7 HFTD scout; it'd be around 12-13.

I just try not to think at all when I purchase and preorder all these 3rd party items. Its just amazing when I take a step back and think about it.

I should just never take a step back. That's my conclusion.

5. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

ive thought about it often but my preferences keep my spending in check as im picky whether its an official or 3rd party release. the only 3rd party stuff i preorder on sight is fp stuff with the exception of black repaints as theyre not my thing.

6. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lower production runs and fewer avenues to sell figures are the main reason 3rd party products are so expensive.

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Batman, did you read my post? v.v I said I know the reasons. Yes, lower production, smaller batches, higher quality, etc etc. I am well aware x.x I am looking for discussion of stepping back and thinking, not complaining about the reasoning =)

8. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

I agree with you completly. And honestly, it is why I haven't bought any of the FP sets, is because of this comparison. It is always there in the back of my head, and really. I'm not going to buy Something that if I break i'm S.O.L. on in a year. I'd rather just buy something that is en masse in sales, that in ebay. I wont be spending a down payment on a car to buy.

9. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends on taxes - weren't scouts $8.99? Anyway, I'm not nitpicking - I'm not sure there's a magic number you could put together where I would take 7 or 20 figures over 2 awesome ones. I guess it really just depends on the figure, and the difference is that there usually aren't that many 3rd party shelfwarmers, where some official lines (for me and maybe me only) can have over 50% of the figures be something I wouldn't pay retail for. Since 3rd parties take more risks and can't afford to fail, we don't see that many expensive and crappy 3rd party figures - at least not for long. I would have paid 3rd party prices for Warpath (and nearly did). I pay Masterpiece prices for a reason too.

10. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Nope, because none of it's expensive. Some cost more than others, but none expensive

11. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    maybe not to you but to most people it is expensive for toys

12. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I find the stuff very expensive.

13. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    The reasons for the costs are justified with the molding process. Unless they're using steel press molds, the molds will wear out very fast. One of my friends worked for Squadron, and he gave me insight on the third party world in general. If I remember the numbers correctly, steel press molds can give you thousands of presses before you have to replace them. Steel press is very expensive though...and third party companies usually won't have the overhead needed to sustain the use of steel molds.

Other molds are less durable...may only give you a few hundred before replacement. So a steel mold may press your entire third party production line for a single product, but you may need two or three molds if you're using something other than steel. Mold replacement is EXPENSIVE, and when you look at third party stuff, the biggest reason for the cost is going into the overhead of the operation.

When I was into Games Workshop minis, a squad of 10 Space Marines may have costed you 30 bucks, but third part resin Forgeworld kits of 10 Space Marines would cost you 60-70 bucks...and that's all due to Forge World using high detail, high stress techniques that wore out the molds extremely fast, and I came to the realization that when you saw how expensive FW minis were, it's because they're replacing molds left and right.

So when you're thinking of why third party is so expensive...consider those factors above. You can be sure if Hasbro tackled Scouting Force X, it would be considerably cheaper.

TL;DR -- Third party toys are expensive because they don't have the kind of overhead Hasbro has to keep costs low.

14. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Guys, I appreciate the posts about "explanation and reasoning of why 3rd party products cost much more". You realize I stated in my initial post that I know about that. I am ranting about how when I step back, its quite amazing how it is.

Basically, I didn't start the thread to ask for explanation of why they are most costly. So could we try to keep away from that generic response?

15. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Nope, not to me, and that's who I spoke for. I said why "I" don't think of it, and not everyone else. I don't exspect anyone to buy around my standards just like I don't buy around others'.

That's the beauty of everyone being different and having different lives. No need to explain other peoples' perspectives or situations to me when I was was answering a question from my own perspective that was aimed at everyone posting their own perspectives/answers to the questions... geezus.

16. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    $500 for a city commander on ebay? Yeah...it's expensive

17. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Yes, I've thought about it.
    I think Fansproject is reaching a point where they'll soon be able to pump out the cheapest figures. Sidearm's pricing was quite a feat.

18. Minnemagnus

Minnemagnus Armada Starscream!

Yeah, you can pre-order the Thundercracker, Warpath, and Wheeljack case or FP Thundershred from BBTS for about the same price.

19. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:
    Quality over quantity. =) And FP is quality.

20. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I consider 3rd party items to be in the same pricing category as convention exclusives. With that kind of mindset it doesn't (usually) see so bad.