Does Hasbro think kids are stupid?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Asterios, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Asterios

Asterios Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but it seems like Hasbro is just getting stupid in its toy making, we see cool figures like the movie ones which take a brainiac to transform and such, and now were getting these kiddiefied transformers, its like Hasbro is cataring to 3 year olds instead of its normal 5-12 market, seriously with the movie figs I needed the instructions to transform them, with the new stuff I can transform them blindfolded without the instructions, where has Hasbro's imagination gone? did it get flushed down the toilet?

2. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Spend 5 minutes reading the reviews for the RotF line on Amazon it should become abundantly clear why Hasbro is doing what they're doing.

3. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes, Hasbro thinks kids are completely stupid.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Protip: Hasbro IS catering to a younger market, since those younger kids are buying more toys, while older kids are getting into things like video games and cell phones at younger and younger ages. It's a major problem for the toy industry.

Or are you talking about things like rescue heroes and bot shots, which are explicitly focused on simple designs that younger kids can enjoy as well?

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Wow, it's almost like these things are intended for KIDS and not ADULTS.

Oh, wait. THEY ARE.

Simply because YOU, and probably the majority if not all of the adult fanbase can take the most recent figures and transform them with ease without the instructions, does NOT mean the same for the intended audience. Truth be told, I did the exact same thing with a Movie Mixmaster that was a complete mistransformed mess (I bought him secondhand from the Junkion BST), does that mean it's too simple a toy because I figured out his transformation without instructions? Hell no!

The movie toys were overcomplicated to literal faults, and more complexity does not always mean better. Take Animated Leader Megatron, for instance. GREAT figure, but his transformation is one of the simplest in the entire line as it's mostly just folding up his arms and flipping around the covers on his legs. But for playability reasons, that's a plus as it allows kids to easily transform him back and forth instead of having to spend three months just to memorize the transformation process.

Yes, there should be some complexity in a figure, to not make the gimmick of transformation feel cheap, but there is a fine line between decent complexity and going overboard simply for the sake of complexity. In my opinion, a good example of a TF that is in that sweet spot of being just right in complexity and simplicity is Prime Wheeljack. His transformation is deceptive in multiple ways, and quite clever too in where parts end up in robot mode without being insane, such as the hood breaking up and folding around itself to bulk up the legs with minimal fuss, or the entire interior chest assembly that hides the head effectively.

6. Asterios

Asterios Well-Known Member

no rescuebots and botshots are designed for younger kids, but i'm talking about the toys designed for 5 year olds and up, my nephew who loves playing with my transformers, has shown that he does not like the new prime toys or the animated toys (think he picked that up from me), and when I asked him why yesterday he said cause their for little babies, hes only 7 years old.

I'm also talking from a kids standpoint, my 7 year old nephew. (he can transform most of the movie bots without instructions.)

7. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    outside the movie toys and masterpiece line transformers have always been relatively easy to transform, beause they are for kids. little kids, big kids, but kids. You want complexity focus on MPs, alternity, 3rd parties.

8. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Every kid is different you say? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

(Again see previous comment about what parents were saying about the RotF stuff.)

9. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Pressure from Shareholders to increase profits. Pressure from retailers to keep wholesale costs down. Meanwhile exchange rates aren't great, production costs are rising steadily.

That's probably a large part of it.

And some kids really did find ROTF toys too difficult to Transform, although obviously the amount is impossible to quantify.

10. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

I'm pretty sure just one kid is not necessarily emblematic of what all of them think.

11. Doc Wheeljack

Doc Wheeljack Well-Known Member

Like with comics, kids are the future of sustaining this hobby. If Hasbro makes the figures too dificult to figure out (see the ROTF line) for young kids, then those kids will never take to the hobby.

It's important for Hasbro to offer something for everyone. I think that's what's happening now.

12. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know about you guys, but I have more fun with toys that don't take 10 minutes to transform and/or feel like I'm going to break the toy while I'm doing it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Animated had the best transformations. They were simple but accomplished a lot.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Yes, because your 7 year old nephew happens to be the standard from which all of Hasbro's products should be judged. [/sarcasm]

Simply because your nephew thinks the toys are too simple does not mean that they ARE. The fact they are simple to transform is actually a good thing for toys, as this allows kids to quickly transform the robots back and forth "in battle" without much fuss or hastle, just like the robots do in the show. Most kids do not want a toy they have to spend a large amount of time getting inbetween modes, as that's time they're spending simply doing work rather than play, and they will get bored easily if they spend more time doing work than play.

14. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It comes down to personal preference, but I agree with you. TF's in general usually have 2 modes and a puzzle to solve inbetween. I like being able to switch fairly quickly between modes, so if a simple transformation can do that and accommodate both bot and alt modes nicely, I'm fine with it.

Some people enjoy a complex puzzle to solve between modes, which is fine, but I think it separates the toy from being a functional toy and makes it more of a display piece that shouldn't be fiddled with.

I love my rotf powered prime but do I ever take him off the shelf and mess around with him? Nope. Stays in display mode 24/7. Animated? I mess around with those things all the time.

Kids want to play with their toys. There's a definite reason why they're going for simplistic transformations, and it's not necessarily because "kids are stupid". Kids want to play with their toys, not display them.

15. maximus_73

maximus_73 Well-Known Member

My 8 year old kid is playing with my FE voyager Prime now because he does not like his PRID Prime for one reason lame gun(more like useless) and sword. He wants screen accurate stuff.

16. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The thread title alone is hilarious.

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If you've basically implied that Prime and Animated figures are immature and not cool and/or lame and bad in some way, it's almost a certainty he has picked it up from you and shares the opinion as a reflection of what his "cool uncle" thinks.

Ask him if his friends like the Prime toys.

18. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

Well complicated toys are not only takes longer and more effort to transform, but also they're more fragile. As cool as they are, i can't imagine little kids (pre-teen) enjoying floppiness in bot mode or transformation of figures like Leader Sentinel or Voy. Mixmaster.

A few months ago, my three nephews (aged 7,8,9) came to my house and i showed them my collection. Among all those cooler toys like Battle Blade Bee, Both Leader Primes, Starscream and voyagers like Mixmaster and Payload and many more, they were only interested in with simpler looking and more solid toys like Universe Dropshot, G1 Rotorstorm and Rotf Skids (in their defence, they didn't know he's also a little pain to transform)

19. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

Yes, they do think they're stupid. Problem is, they actually are stupid.

20. Doc Wheeljack

Doc Wheeljack Well-Known Member

For me, this is the definitely the case.