Does Hasbro/Takara have much input into the current IDW comics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by lazerface, Jun 27, 2012.

1. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After reading a few IDW Transformers comics, I was wondering if Hasbro/Takara has any input on which characters are used, or does IDW just have free reign to use any past or present characters? I know Hasbro always pushed Marvel to include every new toy in the 80's comics. It doesn't really matter, I'm just curious.

2. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I don't think TakTomy has any involvement whatsoever. But Hasbro definitely has veto power to some degree in the comics; regarding content and character usage.

In issue #1 of the previous ongoing, Mike Costa's supposed original intent was to kill Bumblebee, rather than Ironhide. Hasbro ultimately rejected that notion.

If I recall right, All Hail Megatron on the whole was going to feature additional scenes of the Decepticons ransacking Earth. But Hasbro did not want the book to feature heavily on violence against humans.

3. MachSabre

MachSabre Blackmarket T-Cog Dealer

Well, if I am to understand it correctly, Hasbro's pretty lenient on who gets used and who does not. In the past not so much, but now... They pretty much let them publishers handle it as they wish. They still have to run the stories by Hasbro for approval, (to make sure the writers don't get a little crazy like MHC said above) and once in a while, Hasbro will make recommendations to include some of the new toy designs, such as some of the Transformers looking like their recent Classics toy releases in All Hail Megatron, or Lockdown having the movie toy's design in the Drift miniseries. But from what I've understood, it's pretty laid back, comparatively.

4. Wadeledge

Wadeledge Wrecker

Originally Springer or Kup or Perceptor was going to bite it in LSOTW but Hasbro shot that down.

5. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Hasbro can/will veto certain things. May suggest use of this or that character.

But they don't have a guy at IDW sitting there every day giving out commands, or anything of the sort.

Of course, if they did, then the IDW comics may actually be good. Or, at least, not as terrible as they generally are. Barring some oddballs like Last Stand.

6. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    im fairly certain they have had pretty extensive conversations over the last few years towards working in the spirit of the aligned continuity so-to-speak. I think that the development of the aligned continuity mentality is ultimately an attempt by Hasbro to consolidate the sprawling history of continuities into one easier to market package that will last the next 10 years and beyond (One of the Hasbro exec's in fact said something to that effect) I dont mean that IDW comics line up with Prime etc's plot arc, but that Hasbro has encouraged certain characters to be consistent in their general characterization across all mediums:

Ratchet is gruff, old, and somewhat haunted in Prime and MTMTE. Autocracy and Prime both spoke to the effect the Matrix has on the bearer making them more serious, detached, and logical (i think in effect so that they have the clear decision making skills to lead the Cybertronian race--- the Prime becomes the logical, clear-thinking leader but can tap the Matrix's ancestral wisdom when he needs to). Tailgate mentioned in Prime, Tailgate presence in MTMTE (and i could very easily picture an IDW Tailgate Repaint of FE Cliffjumper (though more likely RID /sadface). IMO Rodimus and Drift have both been redone in MTMTE in a very sleek Prime aesthetic, i hold out hope that both designs will get a toy someday in the Prime line. Orion Pax episodes in Prime, OP taking the name Orion Pax in his 'death' issue. If Ultra Magnus shows up in Prime i bet he be a no-nonsense muthafucking badass. IIRC, Prowl in the Jagex MMO is like your boss or whatever if your an autobot, the guy who gives you the missions... IDK, but i bet he'll have an IDWish edge to him. I think in the end the general outlook and approach of each character is meant to be consistent, even if the events they are going through are different from one medium to the next.

Admittedly i may be reading too much into coincidences, but it not like someone who works for Hasbro isn't reading the comics. I linger with a memory of James Roberts talking about Hasbro intervening on some level in character distribution in the comics, but maybe it was just him hashing it out with Barber for RID.

The Sideswipe remold of FOC Jazz coming is very reminicent of his appearance in RID, and i seem to remember him handling some kind of gattling gun at some point in RID or tDoOP maybe? also, the same mold for Chromedome IIRC? asia exclusive maybe?

7. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:

8. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool. I figured Hasbro has input whenever they want to. It is nice that they let the comics have more free range than the cartoons and movies.

I like your avatar WoundSave. That new album is great.

9. Transfotaku

Last Stand of the Wreckers. Spotlights. Both BW. Most of the -tion stuff.

I gave it plenty of fair shots. I didn't like any of it. Last Stand was the best, but even then it was only mediocre.

But, I'm a crazy comic fan in TFs. I really dislike Furman, those that mimic him (Shane...), and his versions of the TF universe. Not my kind of thing.

I much prefer Budiansky's style, Patyck and Brad Mick, and a vaster, wider war.

I don't want focuses on small teams and Furman's favorites. It's a war between two giant armies, I want that feel.

10. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    You should try the new More Than Meets The Eye trade paperback :)  Might change your opinion of IDW's TF comics.

11. Transfotaku

I am actually planning on it. I seen enough previews and snippets, and heard from enough people whose opinions I trust, to give it a shot.

Plus it has a few charactes I love, like Red Alert.

But to be fair, I doubt it'd change my opinion on IDW's work....it would at best, make me like JUST the MTMTE series. ;) 

BTW, the Chromedome in it...is he based off of any toy? If so, which? Might want to nab that toy to repaint it for a 'Dome if he's not just made up.

12. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, Chromedome has an all new design, much like most of the crew. We'll have to hope Hasbro comes out with new toys :)