Does Hasbro own Go-bots?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by chazparks, Jan 29, 2007.

1. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

If so would you like a Cy-Kill, Leader-1, Turbo, Scooter, and Copter classic?

2. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Hell yeah. Throw Crasher, Smallfoot, Pathfinder, and Fitor in there as well.

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ah, no. There will be more than enough Transformers and related products to buy.

4. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'd be up for it, but might want to wait till after the movie merchandise has run its course; otherwise, it would just get lost in the shuffle.

5. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I would definitely like to see an updated Cy-kill. Really...how many hawt TF motorcycles have we gotten over the years?? I needs me a new Turbo too!

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Some of the gobots would make pretty good Transformers if they just updated them a bit.

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not all the gobots sucked. Heck the sub minicon is a hell of a lot like Dive-Dive. Alot of gobots did suck but most suffered from poor names.

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Hasbro owns the rights to the Go-Bot name, but not the original molds

And yes, I would definitely buy Classics Go-Bots

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    also, it is accurate to say that TFs, which are awesome, proverbially own gobots, which are lame.

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I would kill to get updated Gobots, but alas, Hasbro only owns the name, not the molds. I presume that would extend to not being able to make updated versions of the characters as well.

And hell, even if they COULD, it seems highly unlikely that they WOULD. Those of us who actually like Gobots are a small subset of an already small population. Most people both hardcore and casual think of Gobots as a punchline. As much as I'd love to see it, it wouldn't be very fiscally responsible to do.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Optimus_Prime_Rules_007, when did you change your screen name?

Oh wait, he wouldn't use the word 'proverbially'. :) 

I guess Hasbro has the title and maybe use of a character name or two (Armada Leader-1), but it's a good bet Hasbro probably would avoid 'classic' Go Bots for fear of Bandai raising a legal stink if Hasbro made something with too strong a resemblance to a Machine Robo.

12. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol :lol :lol 

Is it wrong for me to find that funny?

*tells conscience to go back to sleep*

13. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    Personally, I'd love it if Gobots were maintained in some way, if not by an actual line or comic, then maybe shoehorn Gobotron into some TF continuity as another planet full of giant robots.

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Takara and E-hobby sorta did that. They made a set of repainted minibots that were supposed to be stray Guardian and Renegade Go-Bots that got trapped in the TransFormers universe.

15. Ultimate_Menasor

Ultimate_Menasor peanut butter jelly time!

go-bots suck IMO.

16. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

They own the name, not the molds. Confuse me.

17. flamepanther

It's not just the molds though. They don't own the designs either. The absolute closest any modern Go-Bots could be to the originals would be about as close as Classics Jetfire is to a VF-1S Valkyrie.

18. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    That's still pretty close. I wouldn't mind if they revamped the Go-bots into more modern day vehicles. It would probably be kinda neat if they did an MP SS up as Leader-1 but with a different head. A repaint of Mirage with a different head could make a pretty good Turbo.

On a side note, who does own the designs and shouldn't they be like 20+ years old now? I thought after 20 years, patents expired and then it's anything goes unless the company renews them.

19. flamepanther

Thing is though, the VF-1S has a very nondescript head and a complete lack of any face, apart from a blank space and a visor. The most memorable Machine Robo figures have much more distinct heads and faces, and those would have to change in a way that wasn't too close to the original. Classics Jetfire adds distinctive characteristics to the design that weren't there. Classics Go-Bots would first have to take some distinctive characteristics away. Jetfire also has the "advantage" of having used a different design in the comics and cartoon, so they have something to draw from that we can recognize. The Go-Bots cartoon was extremely accurate to the toys, so there are no alternative interpretations from which to draw.

20. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I thought this Japanese Go Bot looked pretty sweet: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320074881622&rd=1&rd=1
    but apparently so do a lot of other people.

I still dig the Gobot Snoop - the blackbird jet. For it's size, it destroys Transformers of equal size (read: gestalt-limb figures) in detail. Too bad it suffers the same craptastic structural quality most gobots have goin for them. Nearly all the ones I had as a kid didn't stand the test of time, as did my Transformers.