Customs: Does Hasbro hate Kitbashers ???

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Nemesis Predaking, May 10, 2008.

1. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Alright, I really starting to think Hasbro hates us, with regards to the Animated line.
    I've now dealt with 2 figures from the line. Lockdown & Bumblebee. Aside from the fact that the plastic feels "cheap", taking them apart is a total nightmare.
    One sided pins, hidden screws under one sided pins, gluing of seams, hidden internal pins inside glued seams & last but not least,
    because of the "cheap" plastic if you try to knock a pin out you end up snapping an area. I tried to remove Bumblebee's stingers
    & snapped a part of his forearm in half. I first thought I was hitting the pin the wrong way, but after breaking the part I figured I'd just pull the pin out. Well it's glued in place!!!
    :wtf: 
    I know Hasbro won't design things & keep kitbashers in mind, but it seems as if they have gone out of thier way to insure we have a hell of a time trying to bash the animated line.

I know that not many people have bashed Animated yet, but has anyone else found these problems with the line ???

2. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I haven't bashed any Animated figs yet (gonna wait for retail release) but, I think they may be trying to stop the Knock off's more than us bashers. Maybe by making the figures more difficult to disassemble/assemble they can slow down the glut of illegally reproduced figures coming over to the US through Ebay and the Asian market.

I hope they keep us in mind. I know it's wishful thinking, but the more figs we customize, the more figures they sell.

Or maybe we're getting old, Nemy. :throw 

3. MrMurder

MrMurder Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    hopefully that's just a promo thing too.
    i'd imagine them taking those extra steps to prevent knockoffs before the actual line is even released...

4. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
    I never thought of it that way. Still make for a pain in the ass for us bashers.

I doubt it, Ontario Canada is a test market. I can't see them putting out promo items all over the province.

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I did run into some difficulty working on my Animated SS custom...the gears for the "Auto TF" thing were a pain to get back in working order...

Other than that for what I did on my practice piece, I really didnt have to take too much stuff apart.

6. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    No probs...then again, did'nt take anything apart...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
    TTT, now we can add smartass to your resume. :tongue:  :lol 

8. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Whatta ya mean "now" ???...my boss swears it's already on there.

Just put it underneath:
    Real fake Doctor and Real fake Ninja ...:wink: 

1100th post !

9. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

You do make a good point Nemesis Predaking. I don't know if I will get these figures, but still trying to keep those knock off out of the picture then they must of taking some measures to prevent this type of thing.

10. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

The Classics line looks old school, still. Maybe they will be as easy to bash as normal.

11. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
    we can only hope. As you said "the more figs we customize, the more figures they sell"

The Botcon seekers are proof of that, How many poor Ramjets & Screamers have gone to that cause. :lol 

12. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

...you know it. I've still got 3 Ramjets in the closet and just you wait until that Acidrain repaint Seeker hits the shelves, poor guy won't have a chance.

On the topic, I don't think its because of us Bashers, Hasbro has always tolerated and respected our work. If anything, they would first start sueing people like Jin Saotome who make a decent living reselling their product.

No I agree that it's to prevent KOs from happening; or at least delaying them.

Good think I only plan on bashing the cycles into a Wreck-Gar FINALLY!!!!

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    "Does Hasbro hate kitbashers?"

Short answer: No.

Do they design any of their products with kitbashers in mind? I'd think so. There are a few examples of this, but I'll have to wait for another time to go surfing for em (someone care to help me with reference and citations for this one?).

Do they make a point to frequently design toys with kitbashers in mind? Certainly not. Hasbro designs toys as an end product and acknowledges that kitbashers are a niche of the market at the very best. Adult collectors have always been considered icing on the profit cake for them to begin with. Kitbashers are an extra helping at most.

That being said, the design teams for Hasbro use produced toys for kitbashes themselves to create mock-ups for proposals and such some times (anyone remember the military "Alternators" samples?).

We've had a few winks and nods from Hasbro, but it's wise to acknowledge that they have to be few and far between just by the nature of Transformers (and other) products they create. That being said, I'll take all I can get :) 

In reference to the recent products, I wish you guys well with your projects :thumb 

14. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Classics Megatron fits your bill, SQ7. He's easy as pie to take apart, and heck the guy who designed it even said publicly "I hope you guys take this fella and paint up like we WANTED to paint him"

15. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i can say lugnut is not like that he's very easy to take apart

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, that was on example I was thinking of, but I couldn't remember the exact toy at the time. I was thinking that there were a couple more examples, but I could be wrong. Honestly, I think that example is good enough to prove my point. :) 

17. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    I think the answer to all this is; you don't have to take your TFs apart to customize them. That cheap plastic holds acrylic paints very well to its surface because of the matte finish and is much better than sections made of unpaintable plastic that will stop you from doing anything at all.

18. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

I don't really find the animated plastic "cheap". Its just a little more elastic then most of the stuff in previous lines which safety wise is probably a benefit as its less likely to shatter. Plus as Jin said it actually holds paint better then most of the stuff used in previous lines.

19. rodimuspwnzor

rodimuspwnzor Nerd-O-tron

Ebay:
    I did a quickbah on my Animated V Megs (made his cannon fit to his arm better - I'll post it this weekend!); at any rate, it didn't seemed like they designed the figure with bashers in mind. To be honest, I don't see how they could; it would be like a psychology experiment: Show 1000 bashers one figure, and come back a week later to see how many different bashes they came up with. There's no way any company with solid management would want to try such a thing.

20. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was taking apart A. Prowl legs the other day and noticed that the top lower leg piece that connects to the upper leg part was glued on one leg and not the other. I couldn't figure out why I was having such a hard time removing it until it finally snapped off and I saw the glue.

Maybe it's just random Chinese factory weirdness we're seeing.