Does firing that cannon damage Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Driftx3, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

G1 Megatron "draws energy from a black hole" to fire his "fusion cannon". Now there is absolutely no known way to harness anything from a black hole. The reaction of a black hole would actually absorb and dissipate any energy that went into it.

What we do know is that black holes seem to convert huge quantities of energy constantly. So it is safe to say that if it was possible to run something using a black hole as a power source, the amount of power harnessed would be re-donk-ulous.

My question is: Does routinely using a black hole as a power source have adverse affects on Megatron and his circuitry/nervous system or his superstructure or his mind?

Also, does Galavtron use the same system to fire his cannon?

2. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Megatron's cannon doesn't use the black hole as a default, constant power source - it's only an alternate potential power method that generates, as you say, utterly redonkulous levels of power, since he's actively drawing on anti-matter. It doesn't *always* run on it. He's only ever used his black-hole link-up twice in fiction, but those renditions of the power - based on the cut-down sentence fragments of his Tech Specs which didn't specify that the black hole link-up was related to his cannon - depicted him as actually channelling the anti-matter through his own body. The results were always explosive, and these two instances both came from the Marvel UK comics. And Megatron eventually went bonkers in the comics, so maybe!

Galvatron's cannon fires chemically-produced direct-current electricity, according to his bio (though it also describes it as a laser, and that's a tremendously odd thing for a laser to do). The UK comics described it as a particle cannon. No mention's ever been made of Galvatron having Megatron's black-hole link-up ability.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Maybe it uses the immense gravity somehow as a way of catalyzing a reaction or supercharging the fusion process? Material already under the gravitational pressure of a singularity would be under a greater influence to compress and fuse at the atomic level, as in a star. It probably doesn't directly use the black hole though, just the connection to it.

I would hope this cannon had failsafes and design tolerances such that firing it doesn't damage its user, but given Megatron's character I would not be surprised if he intentionally bypassed these safety measures to increase the weapon's destructive potential, however.

Galvatron's cannon is something different, I imagine the wiki could better tell you which technobabble they used to describe it.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Megs' official bio says that linking the cannon to a black hole puts a tremendous strain on him. So I would say yes, it does damage him.

5. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Dx3:

Sure, there are ways to draw power from a black hole. If there weren't, we wouldn't be able to see active galaxies or quasars, right? :) 

Maybe Megatron taps into a relatavistic plasma jet and conducts the hot stuff through his fusion cannon. Once you have a pipe that can take the heat, generating the dimensional gateway is the only hard part. :) 

(Of course, he could just gate the enemy to the black hole, or gate in a rock to drop on his head, but that's got no finesse.)

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

As has been mentioned, Megatron can draw anti-matter through an interdimensional link to a black hole... which is already a pretty wild and crazy power. Presumably this means that at any place in the universe, Megatron can just open up a wormhole in his body that connects to a black hole, like a one-way teleportation with a fixed address at a specific black hole (probably) that he can make antimatter withdrawals from.

Unlike Metroplex, his cannon presumably does not actually fire Antimatter, but rather uses it to generate an even more powerful explosive reaction within the cannon that is contained and directed outward as a phenomenal blast. As a kid, I always imagined that this was intended to be represented by the giant cannon mode you could build out of all his attachments (stock, scope, silencer)

He only uses this power occasionally, when he wants a really powered-up blast. It's unclear whether the "tremendous strain" it creates on him is from the energy required to open up his trans-dimensional link, or from containing and directing the actual explosive reaction itself... or both. Still, this makes a pretty strong case for Megatron's Fusion Cannon being even more indestructible than he is.

Also, although it is strenuous for him to use this attack (even once), it's not really certain whether using it actually leaves him weak, or if the strain is limited to the act itself. It seems to me that if using this attack left him weak, or had some cumulative effect over time, it would be considered a "weakness"... and of course, Megatron has no known weaknesses.

I say no to damage... he's been doing this a very long time. If he was going to be damaged by it, it would have become an issue by now. I think it's just hard for him to do, and he may have to rest between blasts. It could really just be the trans-dimensional link itself that sucks up energy, and he might need to recharge before using it again. He might handle the anti-matter blast as well as any regular blast he fires through his cannon.

zmog

7. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

It's G1, it never made sense.

8. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

Alright now we're getting somewhere.

9. MrSneis

MrSneis Build Giant Robot!

News Credits:
    1) When does Megatron do this black hole-thing?
    2) This reminds me of those types of side scrolling games where when you do your character's special move you lose health ala Streets of Rage :) 

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Fixed.

If you stick to the Budiansky bios, it makes 99% sense. ;) 

zmog

11. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Megs definitely need BenGay for that right elbow after all this mega-fusion-black-hole-antimatter-extradimensional-cannon shooting