Does everything mechanical have sentience?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Pikatron, May 26, 2008.

1. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

Me and my friend were talking about the Constructicon episode when he brought up how they (the Constructicons) were able to remember what they were doing prior to receiving the allspark fragment and coming to life. So that raises the question - In the Animated universe, do all things mechanical have a hint of sentience in them?

I'm leaning towards 'yes' because most things will probably be running off of some Sumdac-manufactured piece of electronics based off of Cybertronian technology. Most everything will likely be running off of some sort of AI, no matter how basic. What do you guys think?

2. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

I think that the machines of future Detriot, or rather the whole world for that matter, have reach the level of sopistication that even rough and tough machines like those construction vehicles have a computer in them -harddrives and a processor, so all the things it does is recorded down.

After given life the data in the harddisks become 'memories'.

3. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    I actually think this line of reasoning is entirely contrary to what was intended in that they weren't so much 'remembering' as establishing that their awareness was indeed something new in that they were aware now that they had once been unaware.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Well, but the Constructicons ended up being aware of stuff that had occured while they were previously unaware...

I'm going with Julliant here.

5. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

the G1 aerialbots were made out of shuttles. They had memories from when they were simple shuttles because Silverbolt was a low-flying shuttle and hated heights.

They probably had computers and data tracks and know that they built things.

6. Zot

Zot Just hacked your system.

Ah, but this also raises another question: if they had sentience before, than how do they learn to transform when it was recorded anywhere on their computer hardrives?
    This might be a little off topic, but it just kinda occurred to me.
    Both the constructicons and the dinobots just transformed, without trying to.
    Scrapper even says that Mixmaster 'was building himself', and both were surprised, like when Grimlock first transformed.
    Just a little thought here.

7. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

The Transforming sequence could very well be unrelated to their memories, it simply being triggered by emotions or some kind of gut feeling.

8. Legless Pete

Legless Pete Chairman Kaga

I'd imagine transforming is kind of like moving, a basic function that requires a conscious effort, as opposed to a subconscious thing like breathing. IE, when you're first born, do you NEED TO LEARN how to move your arm?

9. Zot

Zot Just hacked your system.

Oh....that puts it in a new, and better, perspective. Thanks!

10. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

i think this person is right i would think that the cybertronian robotics would have some sort of data track and record stuff into it

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    am kinda agreeing to the way machines are built in Detroit in the TFA-verse, the machines would have all kinds of computers running things.
    way i see it, the automated trash vehicles, or security bots or whatever, when the allspark gives life, they aren't exactly accessing a memory so much as reading something similar to a post it note or name badge and understanding what their tasks were.

so if a machine gets "sparked", it transforms, then as it tries to figure things out it accesses the internal computer and then has to asssume things.

or what about amnesia? a man has amnesia for 5 years and can't remember anything, so he goes home, looks at his PDA or his PC and it tells him- You were a plumber....wife, kids, here's the last thing you did before things went dark.
    is that the point being made, Julliant?

Last edited: May 29, 2008