Does Bumblebee deserve a $1 Billion at the box office?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Caminus Prime, Dec 9, 2018.

?

Do you think Bee should get $1 Billion???

Poll closed Mar 9, 2019.
  1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Caminus Prime

Caminus Prime Banned

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I personally think it does. WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET MORE OF THESE FROM TRAVIS!!!!!!!!!

2. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yup! Was a fantastic movie!

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Getting a billion dollars may not exactly be the best thing. After all, TLK came from a blind belief within Paramount they could just shit out anything with Transformers slapped onto it and it would make insane money, but look where that got us.

Bumblebee being profitable in the $700 million range, as unlikely as I think it is given the strong competition this holiday season, would be a nice benchmark - profitable but not enough for Paramount to decide they can rest on their laurels again.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    Yes it felt like a John Hughes meets Spielberg film (My 2 favorite directors)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    Yes but it won't get it - too much competition at the box office.

6. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

Well Spiderman and Aquaman will steal the Spotlight. But Bee comes out after Spiderman and same day as aquaman. There is some competition.

7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Should it? Well, sure, give Transformers all the monies. But will it? No. Not a chance in hell.

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    My guess is it probably deserves it more than Aquaman. But my gut feeling says not gonna happen. The mainstream casual audience is probably gone at this stage. The non-discerning potential viewer may not see the difference between Bumblebee and those stale tiresome Transformer movies. A lot of people turned out for these movies because it was the new thing and there was novelty to it, but that novelty value is long gone, and that sort of over the top visual spectacle has become commonplace.

I'd like to see them make a comfortable, respectable profit, but I don't care if they fail to match the insane money that the Bay movies never deserved. It's not like any of us get a share in the profits, so there's only bragging rights at stake, but it'd be nice to see them outperform expectations if only as a vote of confidence for this new direction for the franchise, and just a vote in favor of better movies.

• Like Like x 1
  9. drbeakman

drbeakman Well-Known Member

DEFINITELY deserves it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    definitely deserves it and it will either get there or close to it.

as i mentioned in another thread, it's going to pull, at the most, a Jumani. it will not be #1 during opening. that will go to Aquaman. but positive word of mouth, critical praise, a decent amount fanbase, its pop culture exposure and children who would be pulling their parents to see this will make it have stable & strong legs. so, like Jumanji, it would start out slow but all the factors i gave would make it competitive. it will make bank and could be the 2019's surprise hit. Jumanji worldwide earned $1 billion.

at the least, it would pull a Transformers 2007, earning anywhere between $700 to $800. it'd still be profitable.

then, again, i could be wrong with my prediction. just analyzing it based on existing reception to the early screening last night and the building critical praise going forward to the general release.

IF it doesn't make bank, then it would be more of a marketing issue than an issue with the movie or Travis Knight. so we're going to start talking about if Paramount did all their best to support this movie to increase audience awareness & to distinguish it from the previous 5 movies, since this is being directed by a new, more competent director who also happens to be a Transformers fan.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  11. transf0

transf0 “Well Connected” The GOAT

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    My God, you're actually Ford…
    (Context)

12. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Do I think it deserves it? Heck yeah! If mediocre (in my opinion) movies like Black Panther, Finding Dory, Minions, Incredibles 2, and Age of Ultron (as well as something as downright bad as Last Jedi) can make a billion dollars, I think a smartly crafted, fun, feel-good '80s throwback definitely deserves to.

Do think it will? Sadly no. It would have to be a huge runaway hit. It's certainly not impossible since other Transformers movies have hit that mark in the past, but it seems kind of unlikely given the brand's recent stigma. I do really hope it has some kind of runaway effect, and becomes a big hit.

After seeing Bumblebee, I don't really worry that it will flop. It's just too good for that. Word of mouth is going to be strong. I went with one guy who pretty much complains about all modern movies, and he admitted to enjoying it. I also brought my sister (who hasn't cared about Transformers for a decade), and she loved it. She said she laughed harder at this movie than she had at a movie in years (it's the same case with me). I feel confident that this will at least make enough to greenlight the Optimus movie.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Appleseed

Appleseed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It will get it since Jumanji sequel also almost can achieve that miles stone. Now all positive review all over the place, word of mouth will makes people go watch it especially china will gross at least 250 million..I predict Domestic will be 300 million and foreign would be 750 million.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    It’s a nice little side story but that’s all it is. It’s nowhere close to Avengers Infinity War.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    I think it depends on your perspective. Of the two, I actually prefer Bumblebee. As much as I enjoy Infinity War, I can't imagine rewatching it too often. It's long, relatively heavy in some places, and it really only works if you have knowledge of the previous Marvel movies and characters. Bumblebee is a nice feel-good movie that works as a standalone story without previous knowledge of Transformers. I'd argue Infinity War is like a hearty, filling restaurant meal that leaves you stuffed, and Bumblebee is like a light meal that leaves you wanting more. Yes, that is to say I believe Bumblebee is the healthier movie of the two.

• Like Like x 3
  16. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes

17. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    That's a terrible comparison given a single ticket to either film generally costs the same, meaning you just said you get far more bang for your buck with Infinity War which leaves you satisfied, whereas Bumblebee...doesn't.

18. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    Actually, I was kind of getting at the opposite. Generally after stuffing yourself at a restaurant you feel satisfied, but in a "I'm good for a while" way. You probably won't go back to that restaurant for a while. I'm saying Bumblebee leaves you wanting more in a good way. Like a fresh restaurant you could eat at every day. After seeing Bumblebee, I legitimately could have just sat through it again, whereas I was pretty much ready to leave after Infinity War (even with the cliffhanger ending).

I'm not saying Bumblebee isn't satisfying, I'm just saying it's a lighter movie.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Most people don't have the budget to afford seeing the same film twice, though. Tickets are pretty expensive.

20. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    Fair enough, but a rewatchable movie still has benefits. For one, the people that can afford to rewatch it probably will. For another, it has a higher chance of becoming a classic (which will lead to more money as time goes on, with merchandise, DVD sales, and all).

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I can't really see Infinity War becoming a classic (at least in the timeless sense). It will be hard for people to show it to their kids in twenty/thirty years without showing them quite a few other movies, or a lot of explaining. And that fully hinges on whether the MCU (or cinematic universe storytelling in general) even connects with future generations. It might connect with them to an extent, but I don't think they'll be quite as blown away by it as we are now. I sort of foresee Infinity War becoming a "dad movie", similar to a lot of westerns from the '70s. I suppose it might be considered a classic in that sense, but I don't think it's going to have the timeless charm of something like "The Princess Bride", or the original "Star Wars" movie. I think Bumblebee has a much better chance at that.

And to fully clarify, my first post wasn't to say Bumblebee will make more than Infinity War. I actually highly doubt that will happen. I was really just trying to challenge the idea that "Bumblebee is nowhere close to Infinity War, because it's just a little side story". My argument was more focused on the creative side as opposed to the financial side.

• Like Like x 2