Does box quality matter?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Flyby33, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So recently I had to make a decision. I had a choice to get a mp-10 a take it or leave it choice. I found one recently at a tru around me they were holding it for me when I went to get it I found they sold it out from underneath me! The manager located me more incoming stock at a different tru called that manager and set it aside for me. I t wasn't coming in until the next days truck. So rather driving 30 minutes out of my way I called first just to double check it was there.

They sent me to the guy working the truck who is a bit of a collector. He knew to hold it for me. When he got on the phone he said bad news! I thought mother f*cker it didn't come in. He went on to say we got one case. So I figured they sold them. He continued to say they were on the bottom of the pallet and got smashed. One broke and the other had a pretty smashed box but prime was ok. So I had it set aside anyways so I can check it out. When I got there it wasn't that bad tape popped and a few creases so I took it anyway knowing I was opening it anyways.

Usually I am really picky with the box even when I open it I want it nice and minty! Only a couple of times have I taken a beat up box this instance and when I found universe 2.0 inferno( box was mangled).

So the question is does the box quality matter to you even when you open it?

2. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Yup.Even though I'm probably going to open it,I just want to have a nice box in case I decide to sell it down the road.

3. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I used to be a MISB collector so box quality used to be very important. It still is when it comes to high end items. Now, Im not as picky if there are maybe one or two dings, but if it looks like someone has sat on it, I will not risk getting it. Same with items I buy online. If it comes in beat up with no packing, I will say report it because I did not pay for a beat up item.

4. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    Yes...It's weird...But I want my boxes to be in mint conditions even though I'll just throw them aside, but for the deluxe sides cardboard/bubble packaging I usually hang them on my wall, because they have nice artwork or I like that character a lot even though it's empty.

[​IMG]

5. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

If you're collecting MISB (or Japanese market), obviously box quality is very important.

If you're going to open it, the unfortunate situation is that most US packaging is chintzy garbage designed to be torn apart and disposed of, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over a beat up box.

6. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Not my US boxes, they just go in the bin anyway. I keep my Japanese boxes or any special editions, fun pub etc... The toy is the important thing, I've even bought special editions like United Stepper with damaged boxes to save a few quid.

7. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only care that it holds the figure tighly and the packaging doesn't damage the contents inside. Maybe artwork matters but that's it. And then I throw the packaging away. For Masterpiece packaging however, it's gotta be in excellent condition and not be distorted in almost no way, shape, or form.

8. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    G1 boxes..yes others not much.

9. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Originally boxes never mattered to me, but as of late, I've been saving 'em, since first edition line. The boxes were nice and I usually saved the back cards since the bubbles took up space, but I've grown to appreciate a nice looking box/bubble! but I will buy a toy if the box is messed up, especially a hard to come by

10. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    don't care about anything domestic $30 and under, really. those boxes are going straight in the trash anyways. long as they toy is ok, I'm straight.

over $30 there's sometimes a chance I may keep the box so I'd prefer it in decent condition.

11. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

Unless it's a Takara packaging or some kind of special packaging, I don't care what condition the packaging is in, just as long as the toy is ok.

12. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hah, this is basically me.

Cheaper domestic stuff gets the card saved but everything else gets pitched. The more expensive stuff gets saved because I prefer selling with a box where possible.

13. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    BOXES MATTER! ESP when it comes to imports an MP's. Your paying alot of your hard earned cash on something that is more then likely pretty expensive to the average person. Alls I'm saying is get the most outta your dollar. A nice clean box plus a fresh new figure is always better then something that's been to hell an back.

14. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I think they should change up in the design every 2 waves. It's boring seeing the same box on store shelves for half a year.

15. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Yes, to me it does, aside from the fact that I'm partly an MISB collector, the ones I open are mostly returned to the boxes/blisters. I'm rather OC about the quality of the packaging, but the quality of the figure is much more important. I would rather get one with the package having shelfwear but with the figure having decent paint apps, etc. than a perfect box but the figure has obvious aesthetic defects.

One of the reasons that I love the Takara TFP AM series is that everything can be returned to the box without any fuss, even the Arms Micron can be placed back in the baggie. For carded ones that I open, I make an incision at the bottom of the blister, making a flap that can be attached with magic tape.

Also, some types of packaging really look good, for example Takara MP, Encore and of course G1, the art work are simply fabulous in some.

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    As long as the toy inside is in good shape I don't care about the box. Unless of course it's an expensive MP or G1 toy in which case I'd like the box to be in somewhat decent shape in case I ever have to sell it.

17. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope. The boxes all go into the compactor. I don't have the room for boxes.

18. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

I have a whole corner full of boxes and cards with bubbles still

19. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    As long as the figures alright and the box is still legibal I'm straight

20. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    As long as the figure is fine and has decent paint, i really don't care unless it's something I am going to put back in the box Otherwise they go in the garbage.