Does anyone want to visit a Native/Hunter-gatherer society?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Mar 20, 2010.

1. MixTapeEqualize

MixTapeEqualize optimal primus is best

As a note: when Godzi "hosts" his long pig roast, I call loin cut. I like to make crude jokes a dinner, and that would give me a great starting point to build off of.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Godzi, sounds like a trip to a historical re-enactment village would be more your speed at this point.

3. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

This part is key I think. He's young. I remember when I was young, I got super excited about everything too. It's normal. No need to bring him down. Let the rest of the world do that.

BTW, I have my degree in history as well, which is likely why I agree with you so often.

4. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

Naw, I'm good man :)  Even if I can get past the language/culture barrier, I'm not one for humidity, parasites, or predators lurking.

I don't think they have outlets out in the miles and miles away from civilization.

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Hope this is'nt like a Jonestown thing.

If not go for it. You may meet some neat people , learn some interresting things.
    It'll broaden you're cultural senses.

6. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

I have? I'm sorry I think I'm wording my post wrong. I was just implying the longest I've gone without the things I use the most was for a month, and that going without pretty much little modern technology for 6X that length I think I could actually handle it for I'd be surrounded by something else very interesting. Sorry for the misunderstanding :) 

Fix'd.

I'm unfamiliar with what this in-joke is about. Roasting of an animal, following a large feast is quite common among societies. Usually when a member becomes a "big man" (A term used to describe the more respected, intelligent, stronger men of the group. Though they are not leaders they also have to contribute as much to their band as the other members) they will kill a large animal and host a feast of sorts to please the other members of their band which usually consists from about 5 to 15 people. And it is quite long, usually lasting a few hours or even an entire night.

7. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Crack your textbook open to the chapter on "Cannibalism", Indiana.

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'll give it a miss, 500-odd years of nosey foreign white dudes rolling into town and wrecking native culture is quite enougth already.

9. Tyrannosaur

Cannibalism isn't practiced by all hunter-gatherer societies. It's not rare but it is uncommon amongst many cultures of Asia and South America. Africa there are a few who practice it as a ritual (Once they kill a member of an enemy band/tribe) but I can't remember the names right now.

It is very rare that an Anthropologist is severly injured/killed by a culture he is studying. Michael Rockefeller in 1961 went missing when the boat he was on flipped over. He swam to shore to go get help and the man who he was with never saw him again. Though being killed and most likely cannibalized by a more vicious tribe is possible (There was a tribe near his location that practiced cannibalism), there isn't really any proof.

In short, this isn't something to be concerned about, especially about a culture who does not practice this behavior such as the Dani People.

10. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Well, you certainly know what you are talking about.

Enjoy the long pig roast.

11. Tyrannosaur

I'm really not understanding what this term "long pig roast" has to do with Cannibalism.

Whatever, I really do not have to worry about it.

12. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

It's a joke, dood. Once you're obviously not getting.

Whole roast human (Long pig)@Everything2.com

Hunter/Gatherer societies (like all groups of people) have resorted to cannibalism in times of starvation and extreme hardship. The joke is that if you're an observer present during one of these times, then you'll be first choice to be on the menu. Of course, it's the utmost likely event in all the world, but it's funny to think of it as possible.

.:thumb 

13. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Double cannibalistic post.

14. Tyrannosaur

And how is this funny, exactly? I know about trying the whole "Cultural relativity" method but something like this I can't help but find it disturbing. Plus, why call it a pig roast when it's human?

I'm getting annoyed by this "expert" running joke. I never claimed I was an expert and if you think I did then you're getting the wrong idea of my posts. I've stated that one of my goals is to be revered as an expert, with years of education and experience supporting me. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding ;) 

15. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    It's funny because a long pig roast refers to a roast of long pig, not a pig roast that lasts a considerable duration of time.

16. Tyrannosaur

OOOOOH I see now :lol  at first I thought it was implying something involving male genitalia mutilation (Which made me cringe when I was reading one article) then I thought it was meant as a length of time.

True, pigs look quite lengthy when stretched out.
    For example, MEGAHOG!
    [​IMG]

17. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    To answer the question, no. No I wouldn't.

Trust me Godzi, you don't.

18. Tyrannosaur

Now I don't know.

What does a long pig roast mean? Is it refering to cannibalism? A long pig? Is it some sort of penis joke? Help me before I have an aneurysm please.

19. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Long pig is another name for human meat. That's it. Nothing more. Everything is ok.

20. Tyrannosaur

NOW I see it. Thankyou :D