Does anyone want to visit a Native/Hunter-gatherer society?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Ever since I've signed up for my Anthropology class I've become fascinated with these societies of humans, pretty much isolated from the industrialized world and possess no modern tech at all, not even metal. We've studied and learned about all kinds of hunter-gatherer and tribal groups in South America and Africa. It's amazing that after the first couple hundred thousand years since we started off on this planet there are people who still live like our great ancestors. They really do give us a good look (Despite a few more recent tools that were invented in the last few thousand years EX: Bow&Arrow) of what we really started off like.

One of my favorite tribes we've learned about are the Dani http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dani_people of New Guinea. We've just finished watching a documentary called "Dead Birds" and its interesting to see what these people do each day. Not to mention the battle scenes are epic. There are seriously 100's of people in each tribe carrying spears and shields. They fight untill they kill a member of the opposing team, then the battle is over. The winners celebrate and the losers mourn over the one they lossed. Eventually the losers attack the winners of the previous tribe and kill one of them, repeating the entire cycle. They've been doing this for the past couple thousand years and it's never going to end. They have no interest in conquering the opposing tribe of Dani, but they do this to restore balance. When looking at it from a non-culutural relative standpoint it does seem pretty pointless :lol 

Does anyone else here have a passion for Anthropology or wanted to do something like this? I just hope I don't end up like Michael Rockefeller (He just disappeared in the wild, many think a much more hostile tribe killed and ate him. Speculate in this thread if you want) just to spend a week with these people and see what their life is like would be execellent. Anthropology has become another possible future career of mine :D 

2. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Ahh, the youthful exuberance for new things to learn. It's quite interesting to see how you get so caught up in the new things that you hear about. That in itself is an interesting anthropological study.

3. Tyrannosaur

It is :D 
    Anthropology has become another one of my hobbies/interests, right up there with Paleontology and Astronomy. Oh yeah and robots and giant monsters.

They are such an interesting people. It's sad that they're kinda dying out from the industrial world spreading out to every corner of the Earth. Cultures like these I fear will not last very long. It really is best to study them now and know as much about them as possible.

4. Tyrannosaur

... I'm guessing I'm one of the very, very few on these boards who'd like to study a tribal/hunter-gatherer culture then. :lol 

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

In theory, yes I would like to study them.

In reality, no. I luvs my modern culture and all the nice things like AC, bottled beer, and shoes.

And so much this. Godzi, if you ever meet someone from Amway, dear god man, run the other way. Just run and don't look back.

6. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    yeah, just like smkspy, it would be interesting to study such tribes (which exist in my country), but i love the comforts of modern society too much...

7. Tyrannosaur

I love it too, but it would be nice to go out into the field and study people like the Dani, or the Yamamomo, or the Kalahari Bushmen, such fascinating cultures that have remained unchanged for nearly thousands of years.

I could take a break from modern society for about a few weeks or a month.

8. smkspy

Yeah, no. If (after you've spent YEARS studying and focusing on these groups) you get out into the field and actually study tribes like these, it isn't some month long vacation. You're taking 6 months-to-a year minimum investments.

9. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I'll pass.

10. Tyrannosaur

Yes I know that, but just a month I'd like to spend to see what their life is like. Not going in to prove a hypothesis, just to observe their culture and way of life.

6 months isn't that bad. Hell, you're far away from where you live, no civilization for hundreds of miles in every direction, and between you and the next city are rain forests and swamps filled with incredible (And deadly) animals.

I went a month without telephone, TV, internet etc. when I went to New Hampshire a couple of years ago. I could last longer in an environment much more foreign and exciting to me :D 

11. MixTapeEqualize

MixTapeEqualize optimal primus is best

A good post. :) 

Personally, I'm interested in learning more about the few groups of people who are still practicing Endurance Hunting, since that totally rules. Also I'd love to learn more about some of the few remaining uncontacted tribes, but who wouldn't?

On the topic of the dietary aspect, my housemate is currently frying burgers out of ground pork, which is absolutely disgusting and he won't stop trying to convince us it's anything other than gross.

VVVVVVVVVV That post down there is also totally right.

("Everything you are doing is bad, i want you to know this." "HE IS RIGGO!!")

12. smkspy

I hope that was an intended contradiction lol.

Your comparison is beyond silly. Now if you had said that you've gonna without running water, basic electricity, and even say replenish-able food supplies then I could take you seriously. I have gone without these things for a month and longer, and believe me, they are no fun.

13. Tyrannosaur

Then that's what training is for. Anthropologists train for many months (Even years) to live in these conditions to help further validate their studies. I could do it. Anthropologists have also brought supplies with them, but do not share it with the natives (Again, to validate their studies). I've read atleast 20 articles in the past few months and most of them state usually every few weeks a small shipment of goods are delivered to the Anthropologists (Read doing Fieldwork among the Yamamamo). This place, it's not hell to me. It's a place that must be observed and learned from as well as be respected. It's one of those last corners of the Earth, unknown and practically from a time long forgotten.

Was I not being clear enough? :inquisiti 

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'm game.

See y'all at the long pig roast.

15. Tyrannosaur

No Anthropological documentary would be complete without a butcher scene and a roast :lol 

16. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    Agreed. Present>Past.

17. Autobot-Girl

Autobot-Girl is possibly insane

It's very interesting to me.
    Still even now I wonder if I could make it out on my own in the wild if need be. Hunting, cooking, finding shelter, it would be interesting to see my limits.

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I wouldn't want to go 6 minutes of that.

19. MixTapeEqualize

MixTapeEqualize optimal primus is best

Uhhhhh.......

Godzi, you know what he means by that, right?

20. smkspy

Hey, there you go. You hit the nail on the head.

Definitely not hell, but it isn't country living either. But it is also just a place that, right now, only exists in your imagination, and you have no real experience to back up your claims that you could do this work.

Not one of the last corners, but definitely somewhat unknown only because we choose not to emphasize and teach about these cultures. And not so much a time long forgotten, but a time increasingly obsolete....until the zombie apocalypse that is.

You're being quite clear. It's just your common cavalier attitude to things that require years and years of training is somewhat bothersome. Don't get me wrong, it's great that you have an interest in all these ideas and areas of study you keep discovering....just you tend to go around proclaiming how you KNOW you can do every single one of these things, when you're nothing more than novice, at best, in the majority of them. Then to top off, you use as an example, in this case, the fact you've lived without television and internet for a month to prove that point... quite frankly, it's something of an insult to those in their respective fields that have striven through years of hard work and actual research.

Though again, you have a great attitude towards the field, and I hope it is something you consider pursuing through actual training.

This must just be an age thing though. When you're young, you think you KNOW that you can do anything. When you get older, you know that you can only THINK you can do anything.

As a historian, I study the past because of the things it teaches me about today. But not for one second would I want to go back and live in a vast majority of those times.