Does anyone use ZSNES on their PC?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Scrapper6, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I was just curious about it, until I pick up a Wii some games I want to play again just can't be played. I downloaded this SNES emulator mostly because I wanted to play Jurassic Park SNES again, I've been testing out a few other games I was interested in and no matter which file I get for Addams Family Values it won't play. Does that mean I've got totally bad or hacked versions all the time or is the ZNES emulater incompatible with that particular game?

Are emulators frowned upon in the gaming community? What other games should I try out? And why does the mouse icon always vanish when I start a game?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

3. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    I don't think you are allowed to discuss emulators on the boards. Or was that Roms?

*EDit*
    Darn it Twin twist beat me to it.!

4. Scrapper6

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    it's split down the middle. half likes them, half hates them.

I think twin twist posted the link to the rules as a reminder about how far you can go with this topic.

6. McBradders

If it was against the rules I would have closed the thread, I just wanted everyone to be clear before embarking on this discussion.

7. Scrapper6

Oh, talk about Noob behavior. *Slaps forehead* Anyway thanks for clearin' that up.

8. McBradders

Noob behaviour would be "lol d00dz I getz mad r0mz here brah!"

However, nothing beats busting out my SNES and playing it how god intended when I feel like some retro.

9. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    If zsnes doesnt work try snes9x. That usually fixes my problems (though I dont use emulators any more).

10. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

yeah, snes9x is a better snes emulator in my opinion.

11. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

i dont see why anyone bothers with the Wii Virtual Console for older games. One main problem they have is they put games like PAL Mario world on there...The PAL versions have massive arse boarders on them and run 30-40% SLOWER than the NTSC or JAP versions.

I have tons of emulators on my pc and tons of roms. i find it better to get the roms and stuff on your pc, there free for one thing.

heres some arcade/mame games you HAVE to play

MAME
    Dungeons and Dragons
    Dungeons and Dragons - tower of mysteria
    Alien 3 the Gun
    Aliens
    Alien VS Predator
    X-men
    the Simpons
    TMNT- Turtles in Time
    Virtua On
    Marvel Vs Capcom
    Spiderman the Arcade game (IF YOU CAN FIND IT! SUPER RARE)
    Sonic the Arcade Adventure (again super rare...sadly crap but still rare)

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Reminds me, need to ebay a copy of Earthbound & Super Mario RPG

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Because these games are worth the money. because it's nice having these classics play EXACTLY the same way that they did on the old systems, but on just one system. emulation isnt the same as playing these games in their native environment. it's a more optimized experience. the flicker and slowdown that was in the originals are not present in emulated form. The sound is off for most systems as well, due to being processed differently. When the screen gets crowded in an old NES game (like Megaman) and the sprites don't flicker at all, or the game doesnt slow down a tiny bit, that pisses me off. The Wii was built to run these games the same as the original systems, and that is why I love the virtual console.

I have played emulated games on PC before, and they never ever felt right to me, no matter what kind of controller I used. there is a difference, and it's enough to make me not even consider emulating any games.

PAL versions are only on the PAL VC. as an NTSC gamer, I don't have to worry about it.

Free, but not legal. Some people really cannot stand to steal things, no matter how old they are. I'm one of those people.

14. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just gave it a try and it seems to let me do everything except play (options and such). The screen freaks out when I start a game and the first screen comes up. It does seem to work in snes9x.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  15. Scrapper6

I never considered it to be stealing, I just wanted to play some games I don't own, only rented back in the day had a blast with and don't have the cash to afford re-buying a SNES that may or may not work 100% just to play for a couple of weeks to a month and then after beating them stuff'em back in the drawer where I keep my SNES and NES titles. That plus even if I did own a Wii and have the money Ocean's Addams Family games and Jurassic Park games aren't available yet for VC. But boy if they were, it would so rock to have them all on one console. ARGH if only I could score the cash.

I'd forgotten how frustrating Addams Family Values was though, I never did know what the hell I was doing with that game back when I rented it. :lolol  And my ZSNES JP save didn't work so now I got to start all over again, God I'm glad I switched to Snes9x.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I guess me admitting that I downloaded the rom to Hello Kitty's Misty Island of Fear and uploaded it to 15,000 computers would be grounds for thread closure?

The thing is that WHOEVER, and I do mean, WHOEVER, released Dungeons and Dragons (1 and 2) arcades to their online store would win my eternal love. I would Literally buy a Wii for just those two games, even though it would sooner come to Live or PSN before Wii

17. planetjacker

News Credits:
    How do you feel it is better? I have been pleased with the operation of Zsnes but would like to hear your opinions.

18. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I have ZSNES on my PC and SNES9x on my Mac, but rarely play them, if at all. That's what I have consoles for, and in particular my downloaded games on my Wii. I even used to have a CD that contained just about every NES ROM ever released in the US (and even a few outside of it) but have since misplaced it, probably file 13.

Emulation was cool when I first discovered it, but most of the games either didn't look right, sound right, or just the fact that I was playing a Nintendo game and didn't feel that classic Nintendo controller in my hand, I just couldn't get into it anymore. Honestly, I wish they'd come out with the classic style NES controller for the Wii. Now there's something I'd knock down an old lady clamoring to get.

Anywho, enough of this post, I'm rambling. :p 

19. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I've got emulators for tons of stuff pre-1995: wgens, snes9x, mame, nester, and something for the tg-16. aside from the mame stuff, obviously, it's all things that I've owned. that let me get rid of a lot of the games and hardware that were valuable on ebay, yet still be able to play them. I love it because it puts them all at my fingertips, yet I don't have to have all of my living room space filled up with tons of consoles. I also greatly miss the simplicity of 2-d games (still my favorites), so I feel emulation is a great way to enjoy what I love most about gaming.

there are tons of retro game sites out there, but sega-16.com is my favorite and seems to be one of the few that is consistently updated. I wish there was one for the snes that was as good.

sorry if this was a ramble, I've wanted to talk a little bit about emulation here, but this seems to be the first thread that's been allowed to continue on without people looking for roms and such.

20. planetjacker

News Credits:
    You can go to retrousb.com. They have adapters that will convert most classic controlers to usb for use on pc.

I bought and use thier adaptor for nes and snes to my satisfaction. No better way to play the classics than on an original controler.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008