Does anyone think the Headmasters are weird?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by BreakY, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Robert Snoke

Robert Snoke Well-Known Member

i always thought the Japanese Headmaster lore is inspired by Kotetsu Jeeg, as in this:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  2. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Nowadays, I liken the Western interpretation of Headmasters akin to upgrading to a multi-core processor. The combined duo is then able to process, filter, and react to more input than a Transformer would've been able to in their default configuration. I'd like to that expanded upon more in stories. Unfortunately we never seem to get beyond, "Oh weird, you've got a little person living in your head now. Oh well, moving on!"

• Like Like x 1
  3. VictoryBot93

VictoryBot93 Well-Known Member

I can see why people would look at things like Headmasters as being so weird. But I myself am used to it since I see it so often in media based on robots. Transformers is just the first time I've seen a genuine attempt to add character & story to the concept. So I'm more than accepting, I borderline love the idea.

4. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I literally just finished watching Super God MasterForce. The Headmaster concept I don't mind, if they stick to them being robots but that human head/pretender thing is just stupid imo. Probably the dumbest thing I've seen in transformers, EVER!

5. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Japanese version worked from a story perspective. A lifeless piloted mecha is a smart way of boosting your chances if you're human-sized.

US version, I never cared for. Looked like a near-suicidal solution for a Cybertronian to gimp yourself by bounding with a short-lived and frail organic partner.

6. prime roller

prime roller introspective reflector

News Credits:
    I prefer the U.S. version of the Headmasters. I like the idea of the bot and Nebulon coexisting in the same body, and eventually becoming almost as one mind.

In later fiction where the Headmaster guys don't seem to be Headmasters anymore, like Chromedome and Brainstorm in IDW, I imagine that Stylor and Arcana died and were removed from their heads (or were flushed as waste material, or rotted away). Perhaps the bots reverted back to their old self, or remain forever altered by the Headmaster process.

Also makes sense they could fit another partner if the need were to arise again.

I also like the extra fun of having two characters to play with, although never both in humanoid form at the same time!

The obvious drawback to both the US and Japanese versions is that the larger robots are left disabled without their heads. If the Nebulon could come out of his suit, it would add to the playability, be better for display, and wouldn't leave the larger robot with a Nebulon pooping inside his head (maybe they have a drainage hose or something). Perhaps just be able to take off the upper part of the exosuit, seeing as their knees must have been totally replaced to be able to bend forwards! The Nebulon would look cooler with robo-legs anyway.

I wonder if it's traumatizing or relieving when they die. Hmmm?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  7. Davohn

Davohn New Member

Facebook:
    I like the Headmaster concept in toys of view. When I am a kids I like the vehicles will have a driver on it. It give more fun for me to play with 2 characters and it make sense for me that the human form small character transform into a head of a robot.
    But this is really a problem that I always lost the heads when I play with. :( 

8. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Especially now since robots who never had a headmaster have titan masters, the gimmick has almost worn itself out

9. Macross79

Macross79 Well-Known Member

The only thing I hated about Headmasters was Japan's version, they totally ignored the US G1 Rebirth. They could have easily picked up right where Rebirth left off

10. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

actually they couldn't pick up after the rebirth

Because they started production on their Headmaster series before the rebirth cartoon went into production

As a matter of fact the first episode of the Japanese Headmasters aired a bit over four months before the American "the rebirth"

11. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

*raises hand* I think they're weird. I've never liked this gimmick. Targetmasters make more sense since they don't potentially leave robots wandering around without their heads.

12. GogoDG

GogoDG Come and help me somebody quicklyyyyyyahhhhhhh!

Twitter:
    The idea for transtector is much better in my opinion than having some green guys stuck in your head.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Soundwave902

Soundwave902 The Lone Survivor

I have liked the G1 take on Headmaster because you can't fit a brain module into a chest cavity, I liked the JG1/IDW interpretation with the Titan Master/Headmaster being able to control a lifeless body