Does anyone think the Headmasters are weird?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by BreakY, Jul 8, 2016.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Isn't that how it always is?

2. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I've never liked Headmasters. The concept only exists to restrict play. The headformer's alt mode is useless without the body, the bodyformer robot is useless without the head.

3. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love the headmasters and when i showed my boy Headmasters both JPN and American series cartoon and toys, this past christmas ( he was 7 years old ) he loved them and Still does.

4. Robert Snoke

Robert Snoke Well-Known Member

am i the only one thought the Headmaster concept is somehow or not inspired by the 70's Go Nagai super robot anime Kotetsu Jeeg (Steel Jeeg)? the fact its 'pilot' Shiba Hiroshi who is a cyborg literally morphs into the head of the Jeeg before combining with its body?

5. PANTSMAN1973

PANTSMAN1973 Well-Known Member

Oh my god! I so get this. It was Headmasters that started to put me off Transformers when I was a kid. Then Pretenders killed it for me.

I had a real problem with the Human side of the conflict anyway. I just wasn't interested in them. I wanted robots.

Then Humans started to become robots and robots started to look like Humans. Did not like it one bit. Had Headmasters been robots becoming robot heads, it might have been different.

Still don't like Headmasters. The idea of a Human controlling a Transformer? Nasty.

6. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

Eh. I dug the Headmasters, but the Nebulon aspect never really worked for me. At least the Pretenders made some sense; it was the next stage in evolution and a logical step to make. Why the Decepticons looked like rejected Power Rangers monsters is beyond me.

7. Deaths Thread

Deaths Thread Well-Known Member

Can I ask you what part of Pretenders made sense to you? Was it giant Humans with robots inside them? Or was it a Transformer disguised as a Samurai skeleton or a deep sea diver with tentacles?;) 

8. PANTSMAN1973

PANTSMAN1973 Well-Known Member

Jus09 does make the point that the Decepticon Pretenders are a bit of a joke.

Headmasters are weird though. I just cannot really imagine why a Transformer would want to in effect give up his independence in this way.

9. Deaths Thread

Deaths Thread Well-Known Member

Take it your not married then Pantsman?

10. ReximusPrime

ReximusPrime Well-Known Member

I think all the Post-86 to pre-G2 concepts were interesting. There was so much room for story-telling and longevity that it's kind of sad they were executed so poorly.

I'ts flawed, but Headmasters would have been a great concept for Season 4 had it been done right. I won't go into it now, might do a thread someday where I share some of my awful fanficy ideas, but not today.

To answer your question, yes it's a bit strange, but definitely not a bad idea at the time. Could have stood as its own series outside of G1 honestly much like the other late G1 ideas.

11. Chucez

Chucez Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the Rebirth Headmasters either. I just can't get on board with humanoids being able to improve on the processing power of sentient computers.

Plus, Cerebros was such a bitch. I understand that his, pacifism was meant to add depth to the character, but it was not executed well. Japan did a better job, in my non-arts-professional-critiquing-guy opinion.

12. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

Agreed, wholeheartedly. Throughout Rebirth, I wanted Spike to jettison Cerebros out of a cannon.

13. Chucez

Chucez Well-Known Member

Hahaha! Right? I guess this means I should get LG-Fort Max instead of TR Fort Max. Still trying to decide.

14. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

Eh. Honestly if you have to get Fort Max, I'd just recommend the LG version. I do think Cerebros' head design is more interesting than the Japanese version. But on the other hand, Cerebros in the cartoon was an annoying git. I prefer the comics' version of Fortress Maximus.

15. Ninjanicktf

Ninjanicktf She's a killer, queen

Honestly I kinda think of them s Hasbro running out of ideas. While I don't hate the concept, it is pretty weird.

16. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Regarding the original post...if you aim for the head of a non-Headmaster you're probably going to win too...

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    As a kid I liked the gimmick, even though I did lose a couple if the heads.

As an adult going back and reading the Marvel Comics and seeing Reburth for the first time I wasn't a huge fan of the fiction. The comics depiction was WAAAAY better though.

Then I watched Headmasters a couple years ago and liked that concept best.

I guess I'm ok with the gimmick but it's definitely not my favorite concept, especially the US human/nebulan combination.

18. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I think it's cool and it's more practical. If you were all the time as big as Fortress Maximus that has it's downsides when you can't go where everyone else goes. But if you can be small but also big, that's quite practical.

edit:
    I'm thinking of the way that the head is the actual robot and he uses a transtector. Headmasters with Nebulans I don't like so much.

19. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    For the Citybots it has the added intrest that they could lodge their Spark in their heads and have the other guys turn the head into a robot that uses the Citybot body as a transsector: Metroplex and Trypticon would seriously love the ability to finally be able to interact with their bretheren in a normal way i think. Having to be a citybot sucks big time: you have NO privacy, and paradoxically no social life.

20. haventgrownup

haventgrownup Procrastinator

Ba-dum-dum!!

Excellent work.

To answer the original question, I think Mindwipe is a little weird, but he's supposed to be. Weirdwolf, too. I mean, it's in his name.

The concept? In the West, it was really, really fucking stupid. So...aliens that tuck their head in between their knees and sit folded like this atop moving mechanical giants can control them better than their original CPUs, sensor arrays and neural nets?! Really?

As I understand Japan's story, it makes a hell of a lot more sense. In fact, it's just smaller robots piloting mecha or power-suits, really.