Does anyone think the Headmasters are weird?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by BreakY, Jul 8, 2016.

1. BreakY

BreakY Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Before you guys kill me, hear me out.

When I was a kid, I thought the headmasters were pretty cool. I remember owning Chromedome as a kid and thought it was the bee's knees.

But now as an adult, the idea of the Headmasters seem so weird to me. A small robot that serves as the head to a bigger frame. I dunno, I just feel like if you aim for the head of these guys, you pretty much win. Not to mention that the actual headmaster figures don't really serve a cooler purpose aside from it serving as the head or being a driver with limited posability.

I feel like the Powermaster stuff was a lot cooler. It felt like it didn't exactly compromise the main TF, but served as a power core to enhance abilities.

Anyone else feel the same way? Just had to get it off my chest after seeing more posts about the various headmasters returning in the Takara line.

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The US version, Yes. I don't mind the Japanese version.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Robot life forms with cavities inside them for smaller life forms in them is normal though?

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think it's strange that there are so many headmasters but no students.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus TFW2005 Supporter

I think that Headmasters and especially Powermasters, are a very cool gimmick for a toy. But from a storytelling point of view, they are kinda bizarre and off putting. I don't like the idea of non-sentient "drones" in TF fiction and in my mind I see the "body" of Headmaster or Powermaster ("transtector") as a drone, or non-sentient robot. In my head canon, I view Headmasters as one sentient being that can split into two (a head and a body or vehicle and driver). That's just my preference. I really really dislike drones in TF fiction. I did not like how Energon Prime had drones.

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

To be fair if you aimed for the head on a normal TF and blew it up, you'd get the same effect.

And the play pattern intention with Titans Return is actually centered around those mini robot head guys. All the toys in the line are designed to work universally with them (+ CW Buzzsaw since he's really TR Laserbeak) and the Leaders all form bases the tiny guys interact with.

Actually, IIRC without the Powermaster, the TFs generally couldn't even move. And with Doubledealer his entire gimmick relied on putting in one of his two powermasters to unlock specific parts to assume a faction-aligned 'robot' mode.

Headmasters was big in Japan. Big.

7. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    When I was younger, I thought the Headmasters were strange. I agreed with Aaron Archer in that the robot forms are useless if you lost the heads.

I was a little more open to the Targetmasters in that if you lost one, the toy itself was not compromised. Same with Powermasters to a lesser degree.

Either way, 1987 was when I bailed, Goldbug being my last purchase before returning to the franchise as a collector during G2 in 1993.

Now, however, my views have changed. I like the idea of robots being able to drive or ride around in larger bots. Headmasters was a compromise with Diaclone...to not confuse kids over whether it was really alive and not simply being controlled. I can respect that.

Now, Titanmasters has to be my favorite gimmick in the post-Beast Wars era of Transformers. The fact that base modes are being incorporated is nothing short of awesome.

8. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Ditto for Pretenders.

9. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I really don't like the Headmasters concept. I can tolerate the Targetmasters concept. That being the case, I was able to live with Hot Rod, Kup, Blurr, Cyclonus, and Scourge becoming Targetmasters. However, had they become Headmasters, I don't think I would've been too happy about that.

10. Galvatross

Galvatross Make it Mac Tonight! Veteran

I like the idea of Headmasters when the heads are smaller robots. I'm not much of a fan of the head being an organic humanoid. Maybe I don't like in part because Arcee and Daniel together were really annoying and creepy in Rebirth, but maybe that's just. Still, I don't like the Nebulan origins much.

:lol 

You win the thread!

• Like Like x 2
  11. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

In seriousness though, I think it's weird when the idea is that the main body is a living robotic "person" and needs another person (human, Nebulan, or robot) to serve as its head. When the idea is that the main body is a mechanical or pre-sentient transtector to be used as a powerup for a smaller robot(/human/whatever), or the reverse, for a large robot to interact with smaller life forms, then it's kinda cool.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GoLion

GoLion Sé que me estás robando

News Credits:
    The headmasters and pretenders ARE transformers to me. I inherited a huge collection of these bots from one of my mom's co-worker's kids. None of them were complete (except chromedome, which I still have) but they were awesome. Plus they were pretty much the only guys running around the comic at that time anyway.

I do remember back in the day that the Headmasters concept was pretty divisive amongst the fans. I think that's largely been let go at this point, especially since the release of the TR stuff.

13. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I greatly prefer the Japanese idea, particularly since it allows the characters to interact with humans in areas where that didn't always make the most sense. (There were a few times in the G1 cartoon when we see the robots using human sized doors for plot convenience.) It also makes more sense than having Cerebros just hanging around the server room all day.

14. batfan007

batfan007 Grimstrong Shipper

News Credits:
    I always thought they were stupid when I was a kid. Still do now really.
    But I will pick up some of the TR line.
    Although, I do like the headmaster on both G1 and T.R. Fort max (i only have TR fort max), as he's normal sized in bot mode, instead of a little thing you lose and never see again, then make it cost a fortune to buy the toys with heads decades later on ebay.
    Stupid toys! Damn you G1 Mindwipe! Damn you to hell!
    Actually, because of this, I'm going to pick up the G1 mindwipe KO, as I don't want to pay over $100 AU for a ratty Mindwipe with headmaster that is floppy, with scratches and worn stickers etc. I'd prefer a proper G1 mindwipe with the head, but the prices are just outrageous, even for ones in crap condition.

15. GoLion

News Credits:
    Bingo.

In the Super god masterforce cartoon the human was the character and the bot/vehicle was just a suit (the bot portion later turned sentient).

The toys were the same way. You needed the smaller power-master component to transform the larger figure (hence the reason for all the broken groin PMOPs on ebay).

16. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Rust Bucket

News Credits:
    If I was a Transformer I'd sooner jump into the smelting pits of Kaon than let a little shitty organic live inside my head and leave my utterly useless when he/she decided to fucking walk. :tongue: 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    Like others here I like how Japan did the Headmasters, and from a story telling standpoint the small robot is a way of interacting with the smaller life forms that seem to be the majority in the universe. It makes more sense that holomatter avatars.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GoLion

News Credits:
    Suicide over symbiosis? That escalated quickly.

19. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    I lol'd.

20. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Rust Bucket

News Credits:
    :lol