Does Anyone remember ALF?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by SaberPrime, Oct 16, 2010.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I starting watching ALF on Hulu. Season 4 episode 13 "It's my Party" at the end of the episode ALF is reading a Transformers comic book.

2. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Thats pretty kool.

3. rohrerprime25

rohrerprime25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ALFFFFFFFFFFFFFF yesssssssssssssssssss and really

4. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haha, watching it now on Hulu. I started at ep 1.1 and have made my way to season 2. He is visiting his blind friend Jody. ALF is a huge part of the 80's for me.

5. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    And probably snacking on cat cakes.

6. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Yeah I See the show at nick at nite and i was Suprised when ALF Was reading an TF Comic at the end

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is ALF back? - in pog form?

8. megatronatlas

megatronatlas Well-Known Member

Actually ALF had trans comics in his hand in quite a few episodes. And was funny as hell

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  9. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I loved ALF.. I even loved the short-lived cartoon prequel.

10. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I've still got an ALF plush somewhere hidden in my closet. At least I think I do..

11. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    The ending to the last episode was so 'WTF' that it was hilarious.

12. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I use to watch that Alf TV show.

I remember that promo commericial of Alf annoucing his new show. every day for a month before the show started. he'd do a 30 day count down.

I think the guy "Bo" from that "days of our lives" soap opera on NBC was doing the vioice of Alf.

13. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Yes I LOVE ALF as the show WAS coming on WGN america on sunday nights but for some reason they won't play it anymore.

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Are you suggesting that Peter Reckell, "Bo", voiced Alf in the promos or in the series???

If its the series you're way off.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    ALF is great. The DVD sets of the show have had a lot of playtime in our home :)  Last episode for the series = FAIL

16. SaberPrime

He had comics in his hands in quite a few episodes but this was the only one with a clear shot of the title. They could of all been Transformers comics but sense the titles were never seen except that one time you can't really say that for sure.

Anyway I just finished the series and I'm really disappointed with the way it ended. :( 

17. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I do of course remember ALF, however I'm afraid its going to be one of those shows that doesn't hold up with time; like Ducktales. It was great when I saw it as a kid, but now, not so much.

18. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    Dont talk shit about duck tales, you take that back!

Theres a bunch of these shows that i enjoyed as kid besides cartoon. Stuff like small wonder...mr belvedere was the shit too.

19. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I think this is pretty cool, actually. These days, we're used to crappy shows like Robot Chicken and Family Guy (yeah I said crappy) making references to 80s toys because their producers are people like us who think they're being hip.

But we don't really know a whole lot about the old days of the franchise other than our own (often fuzzy) childhood memories. I mean, remember that thread where people wanted to see vintage pictures of toy store shelves and no one really had any to share? These days, we have fans who meet Hasbro employees at Botcon every year, even some fans who work with/for Hasbro, so we know a lot about the inner workings of the franchise; but we don't have that same in-depth knowledge of the old days.

So, having a show that was actually contemporary to the original series make reference to it is interesting, I think. They could've put any comic in Alf's hands. Spider-man or Batman would be more instantly recognizable than The Transformers, obviously. But the fact that they went with something that was (at the time) new, there's something curious about it.

And now that both shows are over 20 years old, finding a reference like this seems like something out of a time capsule.

Duck Tales is way better than the G1 cartoon :p 

20. SaberPrime

You know ALF is one of the shows that I watched as a kid and never got the sexual jokes and as an adult was shocked that kind of humor was in the show.

For instance, there was the kid Jake constantly making passes at Lynn. Which coincidentally was the only thing consistent with his character. The first episode he appeared in he spoke with a Mexican accent as his family just recently moved to the U.S. from Mexico. Willie spent the episode trying to track down his father before realizing that his father wasn't even in Mexico. Two episodes later Jake appears again this time speaking in a New York accent and living right next door with the Ochmonek's who where his aunt and uncle for the rest of the series despite the fact that they saw him in his first appearance and never said anything about being related to him and he never moved in with them but actually move back in with his dad.

I almost thought they were two different characters they were so damn different, then I noticed he knew about Alf which besides the thing with Lynn was carried over from his first appearance. Just his accent, his family, his living situation, his aptitude, and the fact that he never spoke or understood Spanish ever again changed from his first appearance.

Over all though ALF was actually better written than Transformers. There were glaring continuity errors at points but the show was kind of intentionally that way. I mean there was a flash back episode that flashed back to episodes that hadn't even aired yet and an entire episode was played as an episode of the Johnny Carson show with ALF guest hosting.

It actually had a nice balance of decent to watch yet bad enough that it reminds the audience, hey it's just a show, if you're concerned about the continuity errors, get a life. Which also kinda sounds like something ALF would of said.

I think because they played ALF as a real person some times added to the realism of the character even though the TV show was so unrealistic if any of that makes any sense.

I'm not really sure how to explain my opinion so I'm just babbling now. :p 

What was I trying to get at before I started to babble? Oh yeah, about not holding up to the time. Actually, after revisiting the series, I kinda wish they'd turn it into a movie. As long as ALF still looks the same and acts the same there's really nothing they can do to ruin it. The worst they could do is turn ALF into a CGI animation rather than using the puppet or the midget in a costume. I was never really sure what that was but I think they alternated between several different ALFs depending on the shot. Some times you only saw his upper body which could be a simple puppet. Other times you saw his whole body walking around with no strings attached or anything which could be a guy in a costume. Only thing I haven't figured out is how they get the mouth to move in the rather rare full body shot when he speaks at the same time. Normally it's one or the other, not both.