Does anyone miss the RoTF-style complexity?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sideways77, Mar 20, 2012.

1. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Not necessarily. I prefer an effective transformation than one that's complex just for the sheer sake of it.

2. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes, I miss the complexity.

Or more to the point I don't care about the transformation complexity- but I do love the increased level of detail that came from the toys having more parts and faking fewer things.

3. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is why I wonder if I'll even collect 4th movie toys. I found the DOTM toys very disappointing over all, and I don't see hasbro going back to the good stuff.

4. ubertenorman

ubertenorman Well-Known Member

I like complex transformations that are intuitive and don't feel like work. FE Optimus or Bulkhead, for example. I enjoy really hard transformations too, brings out the puzzle lover in me, but I'd much rather fiddle with a toy that I can transform without having to work my schedule around it :p 

5. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

Size and paint was the real downside of the DOTM line. For example I would have liked DOTM Barricade more if he had original movie size.The DOTM transformations are about where you want them to be. Rotf line was okay. but it felt kind of kibblish.

6. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.

For the love of God, this.

I love Transformers that don't take 15-30 minutes to transform.

7. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    While not all of the DotM toys were disappointingly simple, I do miss some of the more complex transformations of RotF. They made the toys more challenging in my opinion, which I'm sure pissed off a lot of parents of 5 year-olds, but made me happy because it seemed as though Hasbro was saying "Hey, it's okay for you to be older and buy these things. That's why we made them a little more challenging."

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the transformation difficulty should reflect the toy line or the cartoon it is representing.
    TFA or TF Prime should have simpler transformations for the kids to enjoy.

Classics is a gray area, i think it can range from simple to challenging.

Movie Toys with a little more complexity doesn't bother me so much.

But really, i don't miss the added challenge. i like a quick transformation that is intuitive, not rote memorization or puzzle solving.

<<----- 7,000th POST! Woo-Hoo!

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But Mixmaster only takes, like, 2. :p 

On one hand, I miss the RotF-level of accuracy, and how mind-boggling it was that some of those movie designs could be reproduced so faithfully in plastic.

On the other hand, I find that TFs in general have gotten a whole lot more "elegant" in their transformations since then. Even if they have to cheat a tiny bit more, they're more intuitive to handle, while still being reasonably complex. They tend to be a little more fun on average.

Not that I don't shy away from a good challenge when I see it.

10. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Eh... kinda. It feels more intricate and there are usually a lot less kibbly bits hanging off, but it can get a little annoying. However, I can TF all of my ROTF toys with ease now. They are complex, but still intuitive to a degree.

However, simpler toys have less room to have parts fall off or break, and a lower piece count can also mean less pins, so less cost. If toys were still the same size and complexity as ROTF, we'd be in for some trouble in terms of prices.

11. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I never again want to see things like Jetfire's nightmarish panel aligning. *shiver*

I didn't get too many of the recent "mainline" figures (just DotM Air Raid, Megatron, Shockwave, and Deluxe Optimus), so I can't quite compare the modern lines to RotF (which I have vast legions of). AR, Megs, and Shocky don't seem particularly different from the rest. Optimus is the only one with a somewhat boring transformation, and mostly because that darn backpack doesn't fold in on itself.

The problem for me is the current figures just don't attract me. WAY too many automobiles and (to a much lesser degree) aircraft, far too little of anything else. And less realistic alts altogether. And big doofy guns...

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jetfire's problem isn't that his panels are hard to align. They're dead simple.

The problem is that the slots in his wings are super, super close-fitting, so it's a bitch and a half to get the wings tucked into his engines, which then knocks all of the panels out alignment as you struggle to feed them all into the slot.

13. snoopcow

snoopcow Mold hoarder

i hate rotf's complexity

14. Ravage101

Ravage101 Well-Known Member

What you are really referring to is the sub-line from the ROTF line Hunt For The Decepticons! That line really was the best line out of the entire movie collection. Battle Blades Bee, Battle blades Prime, Leader Starscream, Sidearm sideswipe.

DOTM had only a spare few winners. HA Roadbuster Deluxe Topspin and if you can get one Deluxe Leadfoot. Also Deluxe Starscream really was an amazing figure for the size class, sorta like "now why couldn't we have gotten this before? Huh?"

But I totally agree while the movie Sucked, we got some great toys out of ROTF and mostly from it's Sub-line!

15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    No. I think there is a fine balance between simplicity and complicated, and that perfect mix is the level where an intuitive, fun Transformer sits.

16. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Yes and no.

I really like deluxe Rampage. I'm not a fan of Sideways (I have the Dead End repaint).

I really like the simplicity of TFA Prowl. It just seemed so neat. I despise the simplicity of TFA Starscream. It just seemed so lazy. (Granted these aren't recent examples.)

Bottom line: It just depends on the toy and what you're looking for from it.

17. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't mind complex transformations as long as they can be somewhat figured out. I rarely needed instructions for complex toys like alternators, but with rotf toys I felt like if I wasn't using the instructions I'd always end up with a ball of a mangled transformer.

So no, I don't mind complicated but the transformation should make sense and be fun to do. Lots of the rotf toys were overly complicated and just not fun to transform. I'd much rather have today's simpler transformation and nice looking bot/alt modes then go back to that.

18. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I do, I miss it dearly.

With every banner under it [HA, HFTD, Japanese Autobot Alliance, MMP] I still regard it as the best line in overall steady quality!

Sideways\Dead End is designed by the same person as LDR Prime, he's quite a typical example of "everything locks together in a tab in robot mode".

Ice Cream twins were a nice surprise. BB Bumblebee was awesome. HA Jazz, HA Skids, Sidearm Sideswipe, LDR Starscream...so many goodies from that line!

19. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    If a TF is so complicated that I get frustrated trying to transform it, then it's not a good thing. There are a few TFs in my collection that I refuse to transform just because they pissed me off.

20. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I hate the Ice Cream Twins... I didn't used to, but that damn peg/clamp/thing on Skidz to hold his hood down is just too short to do the job adequately. They really should have just scrapped the dumb spring loaded head reveal gimmicks on those two.

As for the issue of complexity, the only Transformers I ever felt were too complex for their own good were Alternators. Some years later, and thanks to RotF, I'm beginning to see Alternators in a whole new light. They still are no fun to play with, but having one or two for your display shelf doesn't hinder the amount of time spent on TFing figures.

Now, to save up some cash and get a MISB Leader Jetfire so I can finally learn for myself what all the stress/fuss is over that guy.