Does ANYone know how to... PLEASE, HELP!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jon3pnt0, May 21, 2008.

1. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    Trying to get an authentic-sounding synth for Optimus Prime and Megatron. Does ANYONE know how they added the effects to the original voices???

Tried mix-pasting audio clips together, tried Flanger, Reverb, Chorus... just doesn't sound authentic to me. Sounds more like TF: Energon.

Also trying to figure out how to get an authentic SOUNDWAVE-sound. Anybody got any FOOLPROOF techniques? I've seen and heard some good Soundwave impressions here and on YouTube and just wanna know how they're done.

ANY help, ANY tips and techniques will be GREATLY appreciated! There are no bad ideas... except for all the bad ones.

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Have you tried talking into a metal can? :lol 

Sorry, if I knew a more technical solution, I'd offer it... :( 

3. magnusEXP

magnusEXP Portuguese Wha-Freak!

I ithink it´s all a matter of octaves...try to use 2 voice tracks...one straining octave lower Lord of the Rings Sauron kinda type and on the other the wailing voice one octave higher with chorus or pitch shifter wich is the register we all know...maybe you´l get it right...

4. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

Soundwave's voice in the original series cartoon was performed by Frank Welker using the Roland VP-330 Vocoder Plus MkI or MkII.

Welker's voice is very similar to the one he used for his role as Dr. Claw in the series Inspector Gadget.

5. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    that i knew. just couldn't figure out how to synth claw's voice to make it sound like soundwave's.

6. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    you mean like a voice changer mix-pasted with an octave higher of the same recording?

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    That's where the vocoder comes in. You put a noise in, and with a little work it gives you a chorded version of the voice out. Brilliant things, and very high on my shopping list of kit I want to get to take out live.

8. Da_Last_2_Walk

What sound instrument are you using to synthesize the voice?

9. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    just audio software controls like flanger, chorus and reverb. If I adjust the settings on the flanger I can get a noticeable "dual voice" sound, but it just really sounds bad to me.

Here's an example... and I KNOW it's not good, so don't bother telling me that it's horrible. It's really short, but it gives you an idea of how pathetic the tools are I'm working with.

So where can I get a vocoder? And why didn't you ever give me any feedback on my auditions for Redemption Part 2? Just looking for a little constructive critisism. Promise I'm not upset, but you got a lotta guys back at the other thread chomping at the bits for scripts and such! Might want to visit over there, bro.

10. magnusEXP

in your example that sound you came across is a real good base for you up next to add an extra track simultaneously on the same pitch but only an octave higherwith the vocoder on...it should work...On episode Roll for it there´s a bit where soundwave says``Excellent,Ravage´´that you only hear a down pitched growl such as the one you posted on your example;you really can tell that they forgot to add the extra track!wich is an octave higher...the soundwave voice isnt just one track with a vocoder but 2...one low like yours and the wailing one on top...try it...

11. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    So where do I get a vocoder?!

12. magnusEXP

try it with you usual effects...it could work

13. Da_Last_2_Walk

In my first post, I told you that the instrument used to make Soundwave's voice was a Roland VP-330 Vocoder Plus MkI or MkII. You responded by saying you knew this, but you are trying to make the Soundwave voice using a different instrument. I'm not saying it's impossible to get Soundwave's voice with your instruments, but I would advise starting with the actual Roland VP-330 Vocoder Plus MkI or MkII.

If you google "Roland VP-330 Vocoder Plus MkI or MkII", I'm sure it will show some websites that sell one. Or try ebay,craigslist.............

14. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    That wasn't the part I knew about, I knew that it was Welker's "Dr. Claw" voice that he used was what I meant, sorry for the misinterpretation. I can see how I made it seem that I knew about the hardware you were talking about.

Thanks for the help! I've just had some people telling me that it's a program and others telling me that it's hardware. So thanks for clearing that up.

15. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's software for every piece of hardware out there. I'm pretty sure you can get a VSTi for the Roland.

16. Da_Last_2_Walk

Thanks for clarifing.

I'm sure there's software out there to match the Roland VP-330 Vocoder Plus MkI or MkII capabilities.

Consider this: If you want the closest thing to the original Soundwave voice, I would use the same devise they used. That leaves the voice as the other missing part. I know a good sample of Welker's voice if you need one to use.

17. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    I'm on a really tight budget (aren't we all?) right now, so how much worse could it be if I got a Vocoder that was inexpensive. The cheapest one you and Draven talked about on eBay was like $700. I'm looking to get the closest sound to the original I can for under a hundred bucks... guess I really shoulda said that to start with, but I kinda had the notion everyone was talking about PC software and not an actual "instrument." If there is Vocoder software that could do a decent job, where would I get it? On-line? Music store? Electronics/PC store?

18. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:

Starscream sounds a bit like the original maybe slow it down slightly and add some Higher pitch to it...

19. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    You mean like this?!? or his crazed voice?

These are old, I've added a wee bit more "Cobra Commander" in since then. And normally my Megatron is better, but I was sick and off work for a week when I recorded that.

Or you can just listen to my ENTIRE demo of character impressions... if you have extra time on your hands... lol.

and here's my Prime video that keeps getting my offers on YouTube.

I am so selfish, I manage to "self-plug" myself in every thread... lol. And I was genuinely needing help. But I've gotta few vocoder leads that may fix my prob.