Customs: Does anyone know how to find this guy?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Master Blaster, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Customiser L_K and his classics MP Superion

The custom above is amazing, and has inspired me to begin preparations to produce my own classics Superion. I've begun hunting for classics Starscreams to repaint (no Ramjet though, don't favour the conehead design), but what I really need to do is understand how the combined mode works.

I've noted that L_K last visited Seibertron in April 2010. I'm not sure if he's native to here too, never seen him post. But if anyone knows anything either about his current tf lurking grounds or indeed how the combined mode functions for this piece, please let me know!

Aside from that I wanna lay out my plans in here, notes for me for later and also to see what you guys reckon.

Of course the base for the four appendage bots will be Starscream. The mold will be easiest to work with considering I plan to dye parts in the appropriate colours where possible.

I'm told that dying is the best way to recolour a transformer since the dye bonds directly with the plastic and cannot be scuffed or scraped off. Is this right?
    There's a lot of white on the aerialbots, is it possible to recolour plastics white? As in dye, or perhaps bleach with hydrogen peroxide?
    The plastic on Starscream is mostly grey and painted, which is nice. But can it be dyed white?
    Details will be added in enamel paints for their durability, and a clear coat applied to seal the deal.

Starscream's feet and lower arms are blue plastic. Will it be possible to dye these parts grey? Or will painting be necessary? I understand painting will probably be necessary to make the arms white.

These are the colour schemes I plan to use::
    [​IMG]

A sort of classics style update on the original G1 decos, I believe it'll help differentiate a bit more in bot mode. I'm still thinking about how to fix fireflight's wings so they look more G1-style, but I know an extra pivot joint will be needed on all four figures to allow the wings to fold back. I actually believe there was a set that contained these pivot joints? The special seeker null ray set perhaps?

Any and all links, comments, advice and directional assistance will be greatly appreciated and heeded. This is my first major project so I'ma need all the help I can get! :D 

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    L_K is here in Radicons also and here's a profile link: L_K's Profile - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

It shows he was last active today, so check it out.

As for doing the Aerialbots, I would say pick up a nice spray for them. I use Krylon Fusion Satin White on most of my bots that need to be white. I can share a few WIP images if you'd like to see. I would suggest taking them apart (I'm working on a Skywarp right now--planning to auction since I have a Classics Skywarp already). I haven't tried dyeing, so I'm not sure how well it would turn out. My guess is the white won't completely cover, but maybe someone more experienced in that department can help you out. As for folding the wings back, you could pick up some small airplane hinges and use one or two per wing (or even small brass hinges).

I dig that artwork and if you're going for something similar, that's pretty cool, man. Good luck with this and I hope you find the info/help you need.

3. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Absolutely epic, thanks man! Now to interrogate him for his secrets :lol 

I've seen the results of dying but not actually felt it in-hand, but I'm led to believe it's the bees knees for durability and quality. To quote one customiser, it provides essentially factory-quality results!

Yeah I'm really not sure about the effect of white dye on grey plastic, but I'm hoping the light base plastic colour will make it somewhat possible. I'm currently seeing if I can get the special fold-back hinges that came with the classics seeker coronation set cast in white for the wings, figure it'll provide nice tidy results and can dye them their correct colours upon receiving.
    I'm also looking into castings for the lower arms and hands, the head, the feet and the upper legs since they'll be handled a lot more than other parts.

For the wings on Fireflight and Slingshot spraying might be the way forward, can you actually get spray-on enamel? Everything else is small details though so can do that with a brush; the chest is a separate piece so will dye that.

Thanks for the advice mate, really appreciate it! I'll be using that artwork as a close guide and only making small changes here and there; I really like how it makes them look and the wings are pretty damn cool!

4. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's just been pointed out to me that 25th Anniversary Starscream is mostly white plastic! Huzzah he said! That'll make the job a lot easier :D 

5. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

Dying is quite effective, though my understanding is that it can be tricky if its a first time, and you can only dye darker, not lighter.

6. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aye you're the second to tell me that, it's now confirmed.

Not too much of a problem though, using white Screamer with casted white parts to replace the blue parts, and a little paint removal, I should have four blank white seeker figures to work with!

With respect to dying, I'm considering having a friend do it for me so I don't risk ruining something. Though I could always get the stuff in myself and just do some practise on my spare Energon Skyblast so I get the hang of it.

I can't believe how excited this all has me, a perfect classics Superion is within reach! :D 

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    *looks up*Yep!

Sending a pm is a start. Also, I'd humbly submit to dispense with the colored font - it's hard on the eyes/graphic design 101

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Anytime, man! Also, check out the tutorials here. There's a LOT of great info that can also help you out.

Can't wait to see how this project goes. I've had Superion and the Aerialbots planned for a huge reshell project (my first reshell). I'm using 4 Acid Storm figures and 4 model kits, just haven't had the time to plan it all out and start.

9. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alright alright, within Radicons at least I'll dispsnse with the green out of it. Five years I've been writing with that colour! :lol 

I've PMed the lad so can't only wait on the response. Have procured two of the four Starscreams necessary, and I'll be reading up on the dyeing process and practising to perfect my methods. Have received a lot of advice from a guy providing the Starscream figures in exchange for Windchargers, and his advice is sound!

I'm thinking of practising by dyeing Energon Skyblast in to the Autobot clone Cloudraker's colours. If it's successful, I'll offer it up! I'll be sure to read all of the related radicons tutoirals, and also the Transtopia ones so I know as much as possible.

A reshell could be real interesting mate! I'm doing a simple recolour/ slight remold jobby cos the planes the Aerialbots are never fussed me too much (as long as each looked unique), but reshelling the seeker mold could produce some amazing results! I look forward to seeing what you do :D 

Yeah I won't have time to start this project really til end of May, but getting the planning all done and producing a portfolio for then I can do at night for a few hours. [/color]

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm actually pretty surprised that L_K hasn't posted in this thread already. He's active on here :) 

As for tutorials, the Radicons Tutorials is second to none for making TF customs :)  With nearly 400 customs tutorials, you've got some good readin' ahead :) 

Certainly keep us posted in Customs with your progress! :thumb 

11. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aye I was surprised to hear that! Pretty lucky for me I think. But then this thread's only been up less than a day, give it time.
    I've read quite a few tutorials already in my spare time, but never looked into the dyeing ones since it was something I didn't plan to get into. But I can't argue with results, dyeing will produce me some figures I can handle without worry of sticky paint, scuffing etc etc. I understand it only dyes the top few layers of the plastic, but that's more than enough for me.

I'll post updates in this thread as I learn more and become more prepared for the job. I'll also update the first post with what I learn from L_K so others can try this amazing custom themselves!

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    In your defense, there are some pending things in the dying category of tutorials. We do have some things about the subject, and I've focused more of my attention on tutorials that I think are a bit more currently relevant and even "hot", if you will.

As far as dying, it's a very finicky process, I think. Everyone has their own processes, but my main reasons for dying is that if/when there is paint rubbing, an alternate color doesn't show underneath. This is the same purpose I use spray coats. I still tend to apply a top coat of paint to more things by brush + Future.

13. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've read up on a few tutorials and the "wish I knew before I started" thread, and here's what I've learned and plan to use in my project::

1) Purchase a medium size boiling pan and use a metal sieve to dip parts for dyeing.

2) Add acetone and dye to cool water before boiling to avoid loosing eyebrows/dyeing myself a funny colour

3) Leave dyed parts for five days, washing each day to allow time for the dye to bond completely. I'll be using enamels rather than acrylics so the dye affecting the paint should't be too much of a problem, but better safe than sorry.

4) Wear a mask and goggles to protect me sensitive parts from toxic fumes.

5) That the dye mix is reusable! So get some storage bottles---- are plastic bottles okay for this considering the acetone? Or are glass bottles preferable?

6) Dip the parts to be dyed in for 3-5 seconds a time, allowing to cool, and repeating until the correct colour is acheived-- to avoid plastic warping and getting too dark a colour

7) After using rubbing alcohol to remove paint from parts, wash well with soapy water. For dyeing is sanding necessary at all? I know it's suggested for acrylic work but that's it...

8) That you guys need to tell me all about plastic weld!

9) That I NEED some future finish!

10) Patience is key

In no particular order of course!
    I've also learned that I need to acquire a dremel a little further down the line if I'm really gonna perfect my figures.
    And also that I'm a dumbarse; this is my first full custom and I'm doing a gestalt :lol  But I have patience, I'm willing to do a little each day over the whole summer to finish this.
    Luckily I'm already quite good at the pin removal trick (both types!) and I'm a neat painter thanks to my amazing arts skillz from school; neat lines, even coats all the way!

Of course before I even get to the painting, I'll need to make sure all mods work and are structurally sound, and that the gestalt mode functions okay. Then paint!
    Can you guys recommend any commission parts casters for me? I was looking at C. Wallace since he seems to have a quite a good rep.

Is there any other valuable lessons you guys recommend?

14. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

In case you were wondering, I'm pretty sure those shoulder joints for the combined mode are from the Movie 07 voyager prime figure. it looks like you tilt the nosecone section back a bit and they clip onto(into) the chest area somehow. not sure how they connect to silverbolt, but that whole front section for superion attaches to silverbolt, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were attached there with the same "rotate out" hinge that the Voy. prime toys has already.

Randy!

15. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had a good long look at some 2007 voyager Prime pics this afternoon, and while there are definite similarities I'm not sure they're the same joint. I think they might actually be from the 2007 leader Prime figure, with just a touch of trimming done. Would make sense considering the combined mode is the same size as Energon OS.

I note that Silverbolt's backpack's been modded so that the alt wings have hinges in them, folding them out of the way for combined and bot modes.
    I think ideally I need to fit Slighshot and Fireflight with waist swivels, to give the combined mode arms proper elbows. Will study the mold tomorrow and see if it's possible.

Gah! I wish there were more pictures in L_K's thread, preferably ones with the gestalt pieces separate to the figures so I could see how they worked.....I note L_K's been online again since I PMed him and Superquad posted on his wall (thanks for that mate :)  And yes, I kept check), so I guess he doesn't really fancy playing in here.

Will look into someone to cast the parts I need tomorrow, get that sorted at least. Still trying to get a hold of some of the wing hinges, thought they'd be more popular and therefore more populous than they apparently are, hmph.

At this rate it might end up being that I commission someone to produce the gestalt parts and make that mode work, and indeed do the little mods like altering the wings on Silverbolt, Slingshot, Fireflight and Skydive. I can paint but I can't kitbash yet, and obviously I don't want to mess up what will be quite a pricey piece.
    I really do need L_K's help with this un...

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    What specifically do you need from L_K that you feel no one else here can help you with?

17. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well nothing specifically, but I think being the original designer it'll be far easier for him to explain the combination system used to work the gestalt mode. There's no more pictures than the one in the linked thread, so even you accomplished radicons I think would have to scratch your heads a bit over it. I think Randy is most definitely right about the arm though, I think most likely they connect to the chest armour and perhaps some holes drilled into the backpack for a snug fit.

EDIT:: Starting the day well! A friend is gonna sketch up the wing hinges for me with a slight redesign to remove the necessity for pins, will update on that since it'll be a shapeways product and I'm sure there's radicons who wouldn't mind an easy fix for the seeker wings. It's a toss up between a 3mm clip system to also make the wings detachable, and a friction pin system (like how Wreck Gar's handlebars clip into place in alt mode).

Looking into getting the parts casted as always, have decided to step away from enamel paints in favour of acrylics thanks to their solubility in alcohol, and to avoid any paint leeching between the dyed plastic and the enamel deco. This means I'll shall have to invest in some clear coat! But I'll get to that later when the mods are finished.

Am looking into acquiring black nosecone pieces from someone I'm sending a Windcharger to, so I don't have to worry about painting them at all. I think once these three things are sorted that's the basic mods done for the limbs! Next I'll need to look into getting Silverbolt's backpack fixed.

18. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

19. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Indeed! Cheers mate :D  The hands are from the same figure, I'm slapping myself in the face for selling my 2007 leader Prime now!

Ah I'm really only chatting so much about the castings now because it's an easy thing to sort out I can do without having to buy in more parts, is all. I'll definitely get the castings done because it'll reduce the amount of paint I'd need to worry about, but yes there's more important things!

I've been waiting to hear back from L_K, and I just got a PM from the chap! Will read it in a mo and post what I find. From examination of the pictures provided I don't believe there are any extra mods to the individual figures so I assume the combination parts are contained with the gestalt knee, feet, and chest plate sections.
    I've no need to worry about nose cones now since a friend is sending me some to help out, and with the wing hinges sorted I'm ready now to concentrate on the gestalt mode design!

Money's not too much of a problem. I've got funding from the sales of parts of my old collection and I'll be working all summer so that'll help for it, ideally I'm looking to keep it all under £150. The four seeker molds cost about £10 a pop so that's £40, paint and dyes will probably cost £30-£50 I think (no clue really, it's a guess lol), and I attribute probably £30 to extra parts.

EDIT:: Read his post, quite enlightening! Shoulders and hands are indeed from the 2007 leader, and the limbs are all connected using some very clever scratchbuilt parts.

The arms are connected to the wings via parts that plug into the chest cavity of the seeker plane's alt mode and is attached directly to the shoulder. I'm asking how the shoulder is connected to the body.

The knees are two fold- on one side the seeker plugs like above, on the other pieces that plug into the hollow recesses of Silverbolt's legs. I'm asking how the cockpit is transformed for the mode.

I'm just asking the chap how the head, chest armour and hands/feet connect (I believe they attach the same way), and then I think that's everything I need to know to get to work!
    Though I admit, scratch building isn't my area at all. I'm brand new to customising to be honest, but I think myself quite adept in painting now since it's mostly just patience and a steady hand. I'm not too sure how to produce these gestalt pieces.

But at the very least I now know how it all works, so that's a big step in the right direction!

20. MissingSea

MissingSea Well-Known Member

You're definately braver than I was for my first custom, but I've seen some stunning first time customs recently. After reading your post over in the UK Toy Discussion (and admittedly before I read that L_K had helped you out here), I was thinking of the best connectors. Since the Seeker mold isn't all that heavy, have you thought about trying to integrate the PCC connections into both Silverbolt and the Seeker molds, they are fairly small, but seem tight enough. Though I have to admit that I only have 2 pack PCCs so I'm not entirely sure how well they would hold together. Also, some food for thought, have you thought about maybe using other deluxe plane molds? The only reason I ask, is as I was thinking of connectors I was looking at my Uni Darkwing who is stood behind the RTS Cyclonus mold on my shelf and I think that mold would make a reasonable arm?