Does anyone know anything about this? WST Rodimus Prototype

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by engledogg, Jun 13, 2012.

1. engledogg

engledogg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers WST World Smallest C-78 Hot Rod Rodimus Prototype MISB | eBay

I recently purchased one of these and was wondering if anyone had any info on them. It arrived in a sealed box identical to that of the WST TRU Japan exclusive Rodimus:

Shmax.com: Product Information - C-78 Hot Rodimus

Everything is red, even the guns...and it comes with the same instruction sheet as the original.

There have been a number of these sold on eBay in the past, so I'm not quite sure it's a prototype (as, to my understanding, prototypes don't come in those high of numbers)...could it be some limited variant or something?

I opened it up since, sealed, it's indistinguishable from the WST Rodimus. However, looking at the figure, I couldn't find any stampings or anything on the figure, and it feels sorta flimsy, so maybe a KO or something? The spoiler really wasn't attached to the roof, and the roof wasn't really attached to the car, itself. It's only a peg and a hole keeping these parts together.

I'm at a loss, so if anyone has any info that they could share, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for reading,
    MIKE
    engledogg

2. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Looks like a knock-off to me. No company would have much need to pack an unpainted 'prototype' in a sealed box. Especially considering he's selling several more.

It's not an official Takara release, that's for sure, although the quality might be all right...

It's a better price than this 'prototype', though.

3. engledogg

News Credits:
    Yep, the quality is a little low...I was afraid to transform the thing, actually.

Oh well, live and learn, I suppose.

MIKE
    engledogg

4. alldarker

News Credits:
    Actually, the one I linked to has a slightly better chance of being the real deal. The seller does seem to have a very varied collection of prototypes; too many to all be home made...

5. engledogg

News Credits:
    Yeah, he sure does have a lot, huh?

The thing that's bugging me though (and has since before I even bought the thing), is why include the box (as seen in both auctions)?

Aren't most prototypes mostly loose, with no paperwork or packaging? Or, if they do have packaging, it's usually mock-up?

That's why I thought maybe it was some variant or something, a production piece that was meant for release, albeit in limited numbers.

But yeah, the lack of stamping on this was sort of a giveaway, I guess...

I can't recall...do WST figures (legit ones, not the heerotoysmaker stuff) have copyright stampings?

MIKE
    engledogg

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    just went and checked my tru wst rodimus, no stamp anywhere on it, the detail is very crisp though, and it does feel kinda flimsy lol peg and hole is the way the spoiler and roof are assembled as well

7. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I remember seeing these on a trip to Guangzhou a few years ago. Couldn't verify if they were KOs or not, and thought it was just a variation on the freebie, because they did have the TRU freebie on sale as well. I do remember it was being sold for the equivalent of a few dollars, definitely no more than $8 in some shops.

8. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Chances are it was put into the box and then sealed, I know the one I have came sealed with scotch tape.

9. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    @ OP: Takara did release WST Hotrods. (Prototype version)

These WST Hotrods are available in 2 versions with one Colored & the other one not. (Hence the term "Prototype".)

The "Prototypes" have a shorter production run & it cost tad bit higher as compared to the Colored version. I remember people paying USD $40 or more to hunt one down back then. :) 

Edit: I know that there are legit/official ones made but I don't know if these were KO-ed at later stage. Hope it helps.

10. alldarker

News Credits:
    Interesting... I collect the official Takara's Smallest transformers, and I've only ever known of two versions of Takara's Smallest Transformers: the relatively common T'R'U version (in red packaging) and the Wave 2,5 Hot Rodimus (in the standard packaging). Inside the packaging, these both contain the same (painted) toy.

I can't find any record of these official Takara (prototype version) uncolored Hot Rodimus's anywhere...

I have however seen plenty of knock off versions of especially the Seekers, Convoy, the Convoy trailer and Hot Rodimus in all sorts of colors, both solid and clear. Plenty of those were sold (and are still sold) as 'prototypes', including this dark red one.

11. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    ^ I remembered reading an article online when they were available shortly after. (That was many, many years ago) I'll see if I can dig that one out.

But I don't remember these coming as "Boxed" though...

I've one of these but mine was the Colored version & yes, it came with a box sealed as what's being shown.

Edit: I tried googling & stopped over tf.wiki for awhile but I read a particular sentence that made me :lol .

"I just realized this page is missing the World's Smallest TF version of Hot Rod, but I have no pictures or the figure itself to write anything for it.--MCRG 17:02, 5 March 2008 (UTC)"

12. engledogg

News Credits:
    I thought that at first, but the tape is exactly the same type found on my original WST Rodimus. Of course, that proves nothing, since that type of tape might be common.

Same here...Google didn't come up with too much (except for this).

Lack of info made me leery about buying it, but my curiosity won out and I ended up getting one.

So this might be legit? If not a true prototype, then a limited "Prototype Ver." or something?

If memory serves, I had asked the seller about them some time ago (back when I first noticed it on eBay) and he didn't seem to have much info about it other than the photos and eBay description.

Thanks for the input, guys. Much appreciated.

MIKE
    engledogg