Does anyone know anything about soundcards?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lobsterclaw, Feb 18, 2012.

1. lobsterclaw

lobsterclaw Well-Known Member

My computer can still play sounds, but I can't record anything. I hear a lot of pops when the mic is moved around, but when "record" is press, it's just a flat line.

I looked at Windows Hardware device manager and the computer claims sound is working properly.

The card is SoundMax Digital Audio.

Does anyone have any trouble shooting, self diagnostic tips?

Thanks

2. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Have you googled the issue yet? Like "problems with SoundMax Digital Audio XXXXXXXX"? X being the model name/number. I'm sure you will get more than a few results, there's usually quite a few people who experience the same problems you'll face with these types of items and they usually post in an online forum, most of the time with the fix/solution for the problem being in the same thread. Whenever I have a problem with something, my first step is to google it and see how many others have the same problem and see if and how they fixed it.

3. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What I would do before anything is go into Windows' basic sound settings, by clicking the little speaker icon.

Up top go to Options> Properties (make sure your mic or headset is plugged in)

In bring up the recording sliders, and make sure nothing's muted. also, make sure you have the direct device set to record with.