Does anyone have this image from SDCC 2002 / 2003

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by darthrage, Sep 21, 2011.

1. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    I dunno if you can remember but the very first teaser of a Live Action Transformers movie was back in 2002 or 2003 at San Diego Comic Con.

This was way before Michael Bay was even announced as the director.

The teaser consisted of a life size Optimus Prime in truck mode complete with trailer and his ALT mode was a flat nosed truck. And then there was a black tarp covering his entire ALT mode which had an Autobot Logo that said Summer 2007.

The tarp only covered 3/4 of the truck from the top to the bottom. But you can still see that it is Optimus. And that was the teaser for the live action movie.

I remember someone snapped a really clear photo of it and posted it online. Does anyone have it?

Thanks!!

2. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    that is awesome!! Thank you very much Incepticon! That is such a nostalgic photo. I remember sitting in front of my computer and then I saw this image and I got insanely excited like I couldn't believe it was really happening

Thanks again!

4. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Wow, first time I've seen that shot. That truck not ending up as the alt-mode must have really fooled and pissed some fans.

5. OptimusPancake

OptimusPancake Prime's Breakfest Chef

lol imagine if they made the movie with all the original cars and boxy designs

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I remember that too. It was very surreal... knowing that this WAS happening and imagining so many ways it could play out. And I remember -back then- being extraordinarily excited that Michael Bay might be directing it since I was a fan of a few of his movies.

Oh how things changed... :) 

7. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    That's what I was thinking too.

8. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    :lol  But true.

9. dino52

dino52 Well-Known Member

i wonder what happened or why they didn't use i prefer the one right now but i wonder how would have looked in robot mode

10. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Keep in mind that at this point in time (2005-ish?), not much other than "There's gonna be a live-action Transformers film in the near future!" had been announced. 2005. They had yet to nail down a director (or maybe they had Bay already, but if so, they hadn't have him for long before this), they had yet to decide the aesthetic of the robots, they had yet to get a thorough script, they had yet to decide 99.9% of what the movies would become. We're talking early, early stages of pre-production. They simply found what appeared to be an exact live-action interpretation of G1 Optimus' vehicle mode (or close enough to it) in order to entice, excite and jazz up the fans. Promotion. Nothing more. Bay went for a different looking truck, as would any other director most likely.

11. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    At that point, Kurtzman and Orci had already replaced John Rogers as screenwriters, while Spielberg was still trying to convince Bay to direct the movie.

12. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    That was a sweet, more innocent time: When I could get excited for the upcoming live-action Transformers movie. Sweet dreams of Alternator-styled robots I could recognize shooting at each other with handheld laser pistols, rifles, cannons, and rocket launchers.

*sigh*

13. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    Bless God that this never happend :) 

14. WreckNRule426

WreckNRule426 Autobot

I literally took one look and thought "That's what the movie Prime should have looked like. He doesn't have to be flat-nose, but still. No gaudy flames anywhere."

And again, this is coming from a guy who hadn't seen a single G1 episode until three or four years after the movie came out.