Does anyone have one - spinal cord stimulator?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by My03Tundra, Aug 4, 2007.

1. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Since last year I've lived with anywhere from moderate, to excruciatingly severe back and abdominal pain from a rare complication of mononucleosis. I've tried medication of different sorts, and I'm currently in the process of adjusting the medications with the goal of getting the bloody hell off of them. The anti-spasmodic medications I'm on, Gabapentin and Lyrica work with the right dosages but the Lyrica has blurred my vision a bit, and the Gabapentin has affected my appetite and weight. Since starting the Gabapentin alone, my weight has been anywhere from 251 pounds at my heaviest (so far) to 239 at my last visit with my GP. I'm 5'10" and I already have early arthritis in my hips and knees and I don't want to risk gaining any more weight.

As it stands now, I have a script for physical and maybe even massage therapy but I don't have high confidence that with my condition that'll help. I've tried an over-the-counter type EMS/TENS unit on my left arm with nerve damage with cubital tunnel syndrome and it helped there, but I'm not sure about the "fight fire with fire" type approach with my back. With many severe episodes I've had the pain has been so bad at times I've cried out and have even blacked out. I've had shoulder surgery and in comparison the shoulder surgery was like an ingrown toenail compared to what I have. I had to leave work early on Tuesday because of my back.

I've even had a celiac plexus block, and a thoracic steroid injection. Neither one helped much. My pain management "team" has already suggested a spinal cord stimulator system. My concerns are, one, it involves surgery. I hate that idea and prospect. And, two, it requires two surgeries if successful. Yeah, another downside. One procedure for the trail, and if it works, a second and more involving one for the permanent implantation. One worry I have with that is I do have periodic MRIs on my right knee (had one surgery on it because of a car accident back in 2000) and for other problems, when money is permitting. Oh, I do have insurance, but MRIs don't come cheap.

I'm wondering if anyone here has a spinal cord stimulator and how well it has worked for them. I know it doesn't take the pain away, but replaces it with a more "pleasant" feeling. My goal is to get my pain under better control, and my overall condition and well being in turn. I'm tired of missing work, and not being able to fully enjoy the things I love to do!

2. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

You know I could kinda go for one right about now. >.<;

3. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Does anyone have one? I'm thinking about doing the trial surgery, see how well it works, and go from there.