Does Anyone Go to a Chiropractor?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lildevilchick, Oct 6, 2007.

1. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

Okay, I'm going to see a chiropractor on Wednesday. We had a "Healthy Living" expo at my work and I spoke to this really nice Chiropractor who sat me down and did this weird heat reading of my neck to show me where I was putting the most stress. He also felt along my spine and told me areas that should be looked at.

I'm only going in for x-rays and the like at first, but I'm still freaking out. I've had some people tell me that going to a chiropractor is incredibly relaxing, but I've had others tell me some really scary crap - like necks being twisted farther than they should be able to go and the like. I spoke to the guy about this and he told me they don't do anything like that, but I'm still freaking out.

So does anyone here see a chiropractor? What do they usually do? They didn't have a long time to sit down and talk to me about what they would do, so any information you guys could give me would be great. Thanks!

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Awesome.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I went to the same dude as Sock, he does great work but his hands are chilly and I was a bit floppy afterwards.

5. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

The only thing I've heard about chiropractors is once you start you can't really stop going. It's one of those "constant adjustment" things.

My advice would be to not go if you don't feel like you're in pain constantly.

6. lildevilchick

O___________O

Well, I definitely won't be feeling any pain afterwards then, huh? =P

7. Dragonwolf

Dragonwolf dragon-bot

News Credits:
    i only goto one if my massage therapest says i need to, being a health care professional i know the muscles are much more important to the spine and alignment then the position of the spine

8. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In all seriousness, my mom works for a chiropractor. Getting "adjusted", as it's called, helps relieve tension, pain, stress, and headaches. All they do is crack your back a few times, and your neck once. You might be scared before, but it's not that bad afterwards.

Biggest load of bull I've ever heard.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Chiropracty is garbage. And 'heat reading' is especially bullshit.

There's no reliable, consistent research supporting it. I know, I know, somebody's gonna bust in here and be all like, "My chiropractor helped me!"

And they probably did. But shit, placebo pills work 50% of the time, and they're a hell of a lot cheaper, especially since like BigPrime3000 pointed out, you're never 'cured' by a chiropractor.

I believe it may have some value as an adjunctive therapy for certain serious orthopedic conditions and injuries, but only alongside legitimate medical care.

If you're having problems with your neck, I'd recommend cheaper, easier solutions. Like buying a bad-ass Tempurpedic neck pillow. Or developing a daily regimen of flexibility and strength building exercises. Or going to an Asian massage parlor advertised in the Sports section and paying the girls there to walk on your back instead of...I don't know, whatever else it is they do there. Or buying "Magic Neck Pills" from me, which I swear will work and cost less than a chiropractor.

All these would be better choices than chiropracty.

10. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Naw, it's all about the shiatsu massage for me :p 

11. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

I dunno, I feel I can do the same technique anywhere, I just grab something with one arm and twist my upper body and get a couple good cracks.

But, my friends tell me if I keep cracking my knuckles ill get arthritis. I dont believe that one bit because it feels kinda good to crack my knuckles and back. But I think its becoming a habit. like biting nails or something, thats somewhere I dont want it to get to because in the back of my mind I kinda hear their side of the argument, but at the same time, its kinda releiving.

12. lildevilchick

Yeah, that's true.

I've been having some pain in my neck lately - the chiropractor I spoke to said it's because of the way I sleep, which might be true. Their facility doesn't house just chiropractors, there are also physical therapists and massage therapists, plus some others that I can't recall.

I've always had this thing about going to hospitals or doctors offices for the first time. I get uneasy. And it's as the chiropractor told me: "It's like acupuncture. You see it being done, and you're mind tells you 'Ow. That looks like it hurts.' It's the same for chiropractic work." Well, that's essentially what he said, anyway.

But I'm forced to wonder if there aren't some practicing chiropractors out there who actually do some of the scary crap I've been told. Otherwise, why would people say it's happened to them?

13. lildevilchick

That's actually an old wives' tale. Though you should be careful with how often you crack your knuckles and how you do it, because you CAN wear the joints down over long periods of time.

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, that is indeed an old wives' tale. I actually read some research that suggests regularly cracking your knuckles can promote joint health by preventing stasis of the fluid in the joints, which may facilitate bacterial growth and possibly autoimmune disorders.

Nothing concrete, definitely, but kinda interesting. I just pop 'em once a day 'cause it feels good.

15. lildevilchick

I'd read that somewhere too. I do believe cracking your neck or back yourself, however, is bad. I crack my back every now and then anyway, but I've messed my eck up before so I don't crack it anymore.

16. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Went to a chiropractor just once and quickly decided not to go ever again. After he took a look at my x-rays the chiropractor flat out told me: "Either get good insurance or win the lottery for us to be able to fix you." Then, when I decided to go see a doctor about some pain I was having the chiropractor flat out refused to release my x-rays to me. :( 

17. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I love those desk/chair combo things they use in classrooms. I'm tall enough that the chair back just reaches up to the small of my back. I place my hands on the desk, sit up straight and get my back against the chair back and push. Great pleasure there.

18. lildevilchick

That's awful! :( 

I used to do that all the time. It would gross out whoever was sitting behind me. Now I just lay on my bed and bend my back over the side so I'm hanging upside down...that even pops my lower back a bit.

19. Dragonwolf

Dragonwolf dragon-bot

News Credits:
    most chiropractors are begining to bring massage therapist in to work with them for the simple reasons of both are vital to good health of back and muscles.

and it has been proven by john hopkins univesity, and the american orthopedic socity, that massage therapy 2 times a mounth and visiting a chiropractor at least 1 every 2-3 mounths can prevent chronic back pain and when combined with a diet with calcium, vitamins and minerals can possably prevent arthritis, osteoperosis and osteomyilitis

20. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Yeah I go to the Chiropractor once a month because of the duty equipment I have to wear and sitting in that car for 10 hours a day is just hell on the lower back. I love what they do. He just stretches me out and pops my back and puts this vibrating machine on the lower back. I feel 100 times better when I walk out of there. Oh but the first time I went I was sore for a few days after.