Does anyone ever get on your case about displaying your collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MonkeyBusiness, Aug 26, 2010.

1. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

So, I have these friends. We went to college together, were in the same frat, live in the same neighborhood, and hang out pretty much every weekend. We went out for drinks last night and they told me, in no uncertain terms, that my toy shelves were embarrassing.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, I have a pair of standard sized five-shelf bookcases in my bedroom. I've got Transformers, Iron Man, a few video game characters, etc. Nothing like Barbie or Polly Pocket or My Little Pony or anything like that. Manly toys, as it were.

I'm proud of my collection. I do my own customization, so most of them have been painted or modified in some way. I have a few rare pieces. But that conversation has really kind of thrown me and I don't know what to do.

I'm hoping that maybe you guys can provide some advice or insight into how to deal with this particular issue.

2. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

That's the same thing my own family says.I just blow them off because I don't care what they say.I've got eight bookcases full of stuff and I love 'em.

3. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I've deal with it before, but I just didnt care. It makes me happy, that is all that really matters. Any true friend rather see another friend happy. My advice would be just to ignore them. If they keep annoying you, then find some new people to call friends.

4. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Sounds like insecure boys that thrive on public acceptance and approval.
    You don't need to bend to the norm and fashion they follow.

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I don't give a damn what anyone says....... the guy was probably just drunk and being an Ass. I'd ignore it but that is something your going to take as a toy collector. People are very quick to judge because they can't understand the enjoyment we get from our hobby.

HOWEVER.... on the flip side, you don't want to become a toy hoarder. What does your room look like?

6. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I don't really give 2 shats what other people think. If my friends said my collection was embarrassing for them I'd tell them to s#@% a )!@k.

7. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Sounds like you need cooler friends.

8. reptileman

reptileman Well-Known Member

You can't pay attention to what people say.You would be under control by them if you let them get to your head.Just fund someone who accepts the fact that you liike to collect toys.

9. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

Steve Carell gave in to pressure in 40 year old virgin and what did he get for selling his awesome toy collection? Some 40 year old ass. Why did you give up your collection!!! You could have had both!!!!!!

Seriously though, if you're the kind of person who cares what other people think, transformers are probably the wrong hobby, b/c before too long they really get to be all over the place.

10. CorporateZombie

CorporateZombie Great Odin's Raven

I honestly don't see what the problem is. Everyone is entitled to some hobby or another and I don't see why you have to modify your for the comfort of your friends. If they cannot overlook such a thing I question their friendship in the first place.

11. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Judging by your collection count in your profile your friends just don't get it. You've only got 37 figures, so its not like you're drowning in them.

It could be the way you choose to display them. Now this is NOT meant to offend anyone here, and is just my personal opinion, but I do feel that displaying your figures around/on your TV in the living room does come off as a bit childish. The care you take in displaying your collection, can sometimes enhance peoples perceptions of your hobby. My figures are for the most part all in my Den. It's not that I think you need to hide your collection, but if your going to put them in the center of your living space you should do it with class and great presentation. Right now I don't feel that my living space can handle displaying my collection effectively, without overpowering the purpose of the living room. Now when we buy the McMansion in a couple years, things will change, especially if we build!

Check the collection threads. There are some truly well displayed collection in there! As well as some truly awful ones.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't worry about what anyone says. Buy what you want and can afford.

13. JCMGTX

JCMGTX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't worry what they say, if they are true friends they would understand, and you know you always have friends here.

14. The touch79

The touch79 Sparticon

I'm not trying to sound stupid, but by hanging with people that were, are, or will be in a fraternity, the majority of frat guys expect you to act like the stereotypical man where everyone has to be the same or predictable in order for them to feel comfortible. I am at the age of early adulthood right now and I have realized how much energy/creativeness my collection and fanboy interests have given me throughout my life. I have also realized no matter what your interests are, people are going to be critical because that's just human nature. They are testing you to see what's so special about that particular interest and if it is worth getting into themselves. No matter who you are there is usually at least one thing that you wish you could change about yourself. If it's something that you love, then you're just gonna have to fight to defend it. If they respect you, they'll understand.

15. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    I don't hang around with douchebags that judge me for what I do. So no. One of my closest friends is a HUGE jock, but he thinks my collection is cool more then anything else (He's actually particularly fond of my GI Joe's).

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

If they care that much about your toys that are in your room on your shelves... they they're jackasses. I'm not even going to sugarcoat anything. They shouldn't care, and have no right to.

Hang out, watch football games, go get drunk, pull some ass. Have fun. Your toys really have nothing to do with any of that or with them.

My friends, family, even my girlfriend's entire family know I collect toys- going so far to my little repaint and kitbash workdesk in the garage. My little sister calls me a nerd. Whatever. No one else says anything negative about it. Simple fact is: I'm an adult, I spend my own personal earnings on my hobby, and I take care of what I need to such as rent, bills, keeping my girlfriend happy, etc.

No one says shit about my collecting, simply because no one can. They have no right to.

17. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

You can offset the nerdiness of the toy collection, by acquiring a large collection of assault rifles and knives in a gun cabinet next to the toys. Even when people might feel the desire to mock you or comment, they will probably keep their mouths shut.

18. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

^ LOL

Yeah, I should note that I'm a martial artist, have been for a number of years, and it's really not much of a secret from any of my friends. I also keep a couple of swords (a ninjato that I use for forms, and a couple Bleach replica swords) not too far from my shelves.

19. AMG

AMG Old School

I've never had anyone give me trouble about my collection. My advice would be to ignore the naysayers.

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no one says anything about my 400+ toys in the living room, anymore...

they sound like some pretty immature friends