does anyone else...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Metal Chaos, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    When collecting and grouping TFs does anyone here come up with different stories/origins or group by factions/subfactions/custom factions?

Right now I'm doing some stuff like that with my collection and TFs I'm gonna buy soon.

I'm gonna have them split into different groups such as:

Autobots:
    Classics Optimus Prime
    Henkei Jetfire
    Classics Bumblebee
    Classics Magnus
    Cybertron Metroplex
    Universe Downshift as Wheeljack
    Classics Mirage
    Classics Grimlock
    Universe Prowl
    Universe Powerglide
    Universe Silverbolt

Wreckers:
    Universe Springer
    Classics Rodimus
    Classics Cliffjumper
    Universe Roadbuster
    Universe Sunstreaker
    Universe Sideswipe
    Universe Ironhide
    Universe Hound, deluxe model.

Ultracons:
    Universe Ratbat
    Classics Constructicons/Devastator
    Universe Dropshot
    Universe Onslaught
    Classics Deluxe Megatron as Bludgeon

Decepticons:
    Classics Megatron
    Henkei Astrotrain
    Bruticus Maximus (if I can get him)
    Universe Octane
    Classics Soundwave
    Energon Shockbast as Classics Shockwave
    Universe Galvatron
    Universe Cyclonus
    Movie Breakaway as Classics Runamuck
    Cybertron Crosswise as Classics Runabout

Seekers:
    Classics Starscream
    Classics Skywarp
    Henkei Thundercracker
    Henkei Ramjet
    Henkeis Dirge and Thrust if they make them

Stormbringers:
    Universe Acid Storm
    Universe/Henkei Sunstorm if he's ever made

Decepticlones: these guys are made by Shockwave as his loyal troops.
    Allspark Overcast
    Allspark Dreadwing
    Allspark Swindle
    Allspark Payload

no factions:
    Universe Nemesis Prime
    Scrapmetal drone troops

Unicron Faction:
    Armada Unicron

Heralds of Unicron:
    Universe Razorclaw, commands other 3 heralds.
    Armada Cheetor, commands 3 energon ravages
    Transmetal Terrorsaur, commands 3 energon dinobots
    Universe Silverbolt, comands 3 energon birdbots.

Well what does everyone think?

2. therealjondoe

therealjondoe Well-Known Member

i group
    convoys:
    optimus,scourge/nemi.,ultra mag. repaints
    megatrons
    starscreams
    g1s
    classics

3. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    so no one else does this? What's everyone think of my groups/ideas for groups?

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I think people do stuff like this all the time. Many collectors are sticklers for established canon, but poke around the Toyark or General Discussion and you'll find lots of people saying things like "I'm building my own AEC continuity" or "I'm filling out my Classics roster with such and such figures." Some people take it very far, constructing elaborate alternate continuities to their own liking, while others just swap a figure here and there from line to line.

Me, I only do it a little bit. The only other-line stowaways I have on my Classics shelf are Energon Superion, Cybertron Armorhide, Energon Downshift, and Cybertron Swindle. Oh, wait, I lied, I also have the Walmart Movie Deluxe repaints (like Big Daddy and Grindcore) in there. And I pretty much only have them broken up into Autobot, Decepticon, and Shattered Glass. I guess I also have an "Ancients" section composed of Unicron, Primus, Alpha Trion, Vector Prime, GF Vector Prime, Titanium Fallen, and the TFCC combiner limbs.

But I like your groupings, you have some neat ideas in there. I particularly like the use of the movie drones as Shockwave's troops (don't forget Payload, he's a lens-face too!). And adding Ultracons and Wreckers as sub-groups is nice, it gives you some extra display flexibility.

5. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

The only Transformers I do this with are the Classics. I've incorporated the following characters from other lines/continuities into my Classics universe:

Energon Downshift as G1 Wheeljack
    Cybertron Blurr as G1 Blurr
    Titanium Scourge
    Energon Shockblast as G1 Shockwave
    Energon Rodimus as G1 Rodimus Prime (or perhaps Titanium Rodimus)
    RiD Ruination as G1 Bruticus/Combaticons
    TRU Reissue Soundblaster as G1 Soundwave, along with Ravage and Laserbeak
    Energon Galvatron as G1 Galvatron (I'm thinking of keeping him in even when the new Galvatron comes along, because I think Galvatron should be bigger. Probably make Universe Galvatron into another character or a beta character who later morphs into Energon Galvy.)
    Armada Unicron because all Unicrons are basically the same, aren't they?
    I've also eliminated most of the Classics Minicons from my canon.
    I plan on incorporating Movie Crasher in the future.

6. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Reading this really made my day, thanks!

I've been meaning to snatch up Payload as he's abundant in my local wal-mart. I have swindle and dreadwing on the way from BBTS. I'm actually hoping to see more lens heads be released soon so he can have a bigger army.

I had wanted the Wreckers for a long time and seeing that Springer AND Ratbat are being sold together and that Ratbat has an Ultracon insignia made me very happy. I'm gonna need bigger shelves and I'm gonna have to make a custom sign for each faction/subfaction's symbol to hang over there display area, all I have now is the Autobot magnet that came with the dvd and transformers sign that I yanked from the walmart TF section :p 

7. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Cool, I'm glad! :)  Sounds good to me, signifying your various groups with different faction flags like that. And yeah, giving Ratbat an Ultracon symbol was a welcome surprise... I'm quite looking forward to that figure as well.

Have fun setting up your display! That's the most fun part of collecting, to me... the organizing and grouping. :p 

8. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    I can't wait to get the new Universe characters and the rest of the henkeis I have preordered. Also very much looking forward to having Classics Magnus in his new armor, can't very well let my City Commander go around naked. Right now I'm rearranging my TFs to put the groups together but I don't have enough space, only 3 small shelves and no more room for any more shelves.

9. BlitzFire

BlitzFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i only group mine by series and faction from the box.

i only have 3 shelves (+ 2 TF on another shelf) and this is the break down:

top shelf: BW transmetal depthcharge and BW transmetal Tarantulas among various non tf suff

next shelf down: movie autobots (including big daddy and grindcore, since they were labeled movie toys) + 1986 TF The Movie

next shelf down: 3" titaniums bots and cons + plus various non tf toys

last shelf: movie decepticons (including jolt and divebomb since they were labeled as movie toys) + japanese 04 encore starscream reissue

future: well im planning on buying the legacy of bumblebee 3 pack coming out, so that will be 2 other transformers from lines i dont collect..which will make there way to that top shelf with depthcharge and tarantulas. i might pick up some more toys that dont belong with my toy lines because i think they are cool. im thiknig a unicron, and some G1 combiners and classics/henkei seekers (just the main 3, SS, SW and TC)

10. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    I finally named my Constructicons, I got them loose so I don't know what the names were on the box so I came up with names for them from the G1 Constructicons.
    [​IMG]

11. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

My shelves are as follows:

1. Classics cons, all of the ones released so far as well as the last 2 botcon villains from the sets and the evil autobots are w/ them. Target Nemeses big convoy, tit Fallen and Scourge are their too.

2. classics autobots, the same as the cons bought em all and the hero decepticons as well as the club combiners and Energon Downshift.

3. all the 84-85 cons.

4. all the 84-85 autobots

5. Unicron and all the accessories that wont fit on shelf 3 and 4 like Megatrons stock and Primes trailer...

My first two shelves basically follow the club fiction and 3 and 4 I consider to be in the IDW universe. I like your ideas as well. Might copy cat that Omnicon/Wrecker idea.

12. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

though in storage they tend to be kept in their respective lines (RID, Cybertron/galaxyforce, G1) i do have my own twisted universe. the day i explain it is the day i can be made to type a fan fiction about it all.

13. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Added 2 new bots for potential cons.

Walmart Movie Exclusive Breakaway (Cybertron Hot Shot Redeco) as Runamuck
    Cybertron Crosswise as Runabout.

Will just have to cover their Autobot symbols with Decepticon stickers.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I don't do too much grouping, but when I get my collection back onto the shelves they were on (currently going threw some stuff, so had to move them to the top of my dresser), I'm going to firstly split them up into Autobots and Decepticons, and then group them onto the shelves into these groups (and probably in the same order from top to bottom when I put them back on the shelves).

-Animated TF's
    -Classics Autobots
    -Classics Decepticons
    -Other TF's
    -Movie TF's

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm super OCD when it comes to having two TFs with the same name. So I rename all the TFs with recycled names and it fis in my hodge podge of a G1-centric universe. I dont think about storylines and stuff so much as I did when I was writing fan fiction a few years ago though.

For my display I try to keep all the toys from one series together, but I do have all my Beast molds on one shelf, including those from BW, BM, Armada and Universe...and all the Vehicons I keep with my RiD and G2 stuff on another shelf. I don't hve enough room for all the Cybertron repaints from the various lines to occupy one shelf unfortunately so I have them interspersed throughout the shelves. I'm at capacity so I really need to put up a couple more shelves.

16. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    I'm looking forward to the new Universe line up. I think I'm gonna try to get some energon chips/stars (if you have any you're willing to give away please pm me) and buy a few sets of Energon blocks to go with my collection. I was thinking the energon blocks could be normal energon and the stars and chips could be super energon and ore 13 from the IDW comics, hence the reason the Ultracons have energon chips.