Does Anyone Else Plan On Skipping The ROTF Toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Nov 24, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    Let me just say that when the toys from the first TF Move came out in 2007, I was all over them. I think I bought alot of them because they were the only thing out at the time and I needed my fix of plastic crack.

In the almost year and a half since they were released, I have gotten rid of a majority of them. I looked at alot of them and thought to myself "Why the hell did I buy these?.....They're junk!!"

I kept only a handful of them including all of my deluxe Bumblebees, Big Daddy, Landmine, Wreckage, and Arcee. I also kept all of my Voyager Primes and that's it. I kept Big Daddy because that's what my wife calls me. I have to admit, the best figures in the line were of characters who weren't even in the movie.

This has made me gun-shy when it comes to the ROTF toys. I think I'm going to totally stay away from them. I have had my fill of Movie toys and I'll be really picky this time around. Unless a certain ROTF toy REALLY knocks my socks off then I'm avoiding this line completely.

I'm sticking with Universe and Animated. Those lines are superior to the movie toys in every way. Don't get me wrong either, I loved the movie designs for the characters in the 2007 movie. I just don't think very many of the toys were that good.

Is anyone else out there avoiding ROTF toys? Why? Why not?

THANKS FOR POSTING!!

2. LatinJEM777

LatinJEM777 TFW's Premier Shredder

As funds are getting tighter, I get more picky with my purchases. I only buy Universe/Classics compatible figures and Optimus Primes. Don't get me wrong, Animated is a beautiful line. Also yeah, the Movie figs look very dated already, and thankfully sold all of mine off when they were still considered collectible. I only plan on buying the Primes, and maybe Bumblebee if he looks even better than the Deluxe Concept version, which will be a feat.

3. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say skip it exactly, but I can see myself passing certain one like Optimus Prime. Unless the mold has some great feature I will more than likely pass on it.

I guess it all comes down to if they are all completely brand new mold I will more than likely think about it. But I won't be as so easy to fork out my money for it like I did the first movie.

4. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I wonder if fans go cold on the ROTF figures, if this will affect how Hasbro and Retailers deal with TFs in the future.

For example, if ROTF figures are shelfwarmers this time around, will this affect the Universe and Animated lines? Will Hasbro and retailers slow Animated and Universe down because of this? (And under order.) Or will Universe and Animated get ramped up even more if ROTF fails? This will be interesting to see.

5. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

If this happens this wil send a message to not stop a line that sells (Universe) to sell a new line? Sell them all together. Its like that old saying "If it aint broke dont fix it".

6. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I hope I can pass on them. As of right now, I don't want any more movie toys.

Buying stuff out of boredom though...I hope I've learned my lesson from before.

7. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:

Honestly? No. For every 5 fans that don't buy RotF, there are 200 kids who do.

8. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    I won't be able to avoid them.

Ha, I'm skipping some Animated and Universe in anticipation.

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Outside of BT/Alts (which for me will be extremely difficult to ever top), the original movie toys are my favorite line in TF brand history. If the ROTF line follows the same look-style-feel of the first movie toys, I'll be extremely pleased.
    Could not possibly disagree more strongly. But at least there are plenty of OPTIONS for fans today. That hasn't always been the case.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  10. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm skipping ROTF toys. just don't have the space and money for it. although, if they make robot heros I'm all over that!

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    This sums it all up. I won't be going hog wild with the ROtF toys, but I'm sure I will get a few of them. The engineering on the toys for the first movie leave all the other TF lines to shame (Save for MP Megatron) so I definitely want to check out the ones from the sequel.

12. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No plans on buying movie figs here, I plan on being able to actually SAVE money for once, Wheeeee.

13. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nope wont buy none!

14. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I respectfully disagree. The engineering on the 2007 movie TFs was terrible. Most if not all of them were too complicated and difficult to transform and fell apart/ broke way too easy when transforming them. This was a result of bad design and engineering and not QC.

MP Megatron was also one of the most aggrivating, difficult to transform toys ever and should've been engineered differently as well.

IMHO the character desings for the 2007 movie were great but, they didn't translate into a very good toyline.

15. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I probably won't skip... but I will only buy figures for characters who are in the movie.

16. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    They'd have to do some awesome stuff with existing character models for me to 'rebuy' them. That said, I'm probably going to get Soundwave and Devastator and call it a day.

17. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seeing as we've only seen soundwave thus far, I can't really say. However, if we're gonna be looking at a lot of repaints/minor redecos of the previous Movieverse toys, I'll be giving this one a miss.

18. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I was very selective with the figures from the first movie (only got 08 BB, Barricade, Leader Optimus). I imagine I'll do the same thing with the next movie as well.

This has pretty much become my buying philosophy in general... buy what I like, not everything that is available. However, that is not to say that I will not purchase one or two impulse buys that I will regret later.

19. hutchprime

hutchprime Made of sterner stuff

News Credits:
    Yup. I was infatuated with the movie toys for a short time, now I just want to unload the ones I have. I hate to say it, but they're too much of a PITA to transform, too many bits that pop off when changing. Also, in retrospect I'm not that much of a fan of the designs. Cool in concept, and I'm not sure the toys could have been executed much better, but I like my robots to look like robots and not piles of parts.

Animated all the way from here on out for me.

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I won't be skipping the line all together, but I won't be getting any of characters I already have toys for, as I'm happy with the one's I have. The one exception to that is Prime, who I have the 3" Titanium and one of the RH figures, and I plan on getting a Voyager class figure of him from the ROTF line.