Does anyone else here have Fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C. Wallace, Jul 15, 2011.

1. C. Wallace

C. Wallace Freelance Artist

I was incorrectly diagnosed 7 years ago, for an issue I was having for about 10 plus years before that. Recently, I was re-diagnosed correctly with Fibromyalgia.

I have been taking Savella for about 3-4 weeks now, and my daily pain and discomfort is all but gone, however it has it's fair share of side effects.

So anyone else afflicted? Taking Savella? Do the side effect diminish with time?

LMK

2. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

I have a family member who does, but I don't think she is on those pills exactly.

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Interesting - what symptoms did you have that lead to the wrong diagnosis?

4. C. Wallace

Swelling and tenderness in the ribs. Mis-diagnosed as Costrocondritis. I chalk it up to a crappy doctor more than anything else.

It's surprising, in my quest to figure out what was ailing me, how many doctors would just dismiss the pain as nothing. Better yet were the doctors that assumed I was trying to hustle pain medications. I got into an argument with one doctor, telling him in no uncertain terms that I did not want pain medication, but instead to solve my issues with a proper diagnoses and treatment. His stance was that saying I did not want meds, is the EXACT ploy someone trying to obtain narcotics would use...he even threatened to call the police on me if I came back to his office.

One doctor insisted it was an ulcer too.

I have never met so many stupid "smart" people in my life.

The pain was pretty regular, and would get more sever with changes in weather, when allergy season hit, or when I got sick.

It's just weird that after 17 years of pain I can wake up a happy morning person now.

5. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What a prick! I would have challenged him to do so. Why? Because there's always medical documentation that you have sought treatment for your ailment. He would have had no basis other than suspicion for trying to get you arrested.

Then...once you do see someone who actually did his/her job as a doctor.....then you can show him that he was an idiot. I've actually gone through similar misdiagnosis before. I was told I was narcoleptic and suffered through seizures when all it was........was mono.

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ouch. So the meds have pretty cleared it all up and kept it under control? What are the side effects?

7. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my mom has it . they havent put her on that. whichever med shes on works but doesnt take her pain away 100%. she has good days and bad days. makes me wonder the longer your on a med does the body get used to it and the effects arent as great. i swear shes on something new every couple years.

8. C. Wallace

Most common side effects are nausea and dry mouth. But I think I am in that lovely 1% of rare side effects....stiff muscles (bordering on rigor), heads cloudy, excessive sleeping, fluttering in chest, racing thoughts, hot flashes etc...

They keep coming out with new and better meds for it, so that's probably why they switch her every couple of years.

Just got blood work back from the doc today, everything is good, but if my side effects persist he may refer me to a rheumatologist

9. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    My girlfriend has been diagnosed with it, she's studying chiropractic, and it seems if I were to go in to the MD's office, I'd be diagnosed with it, too. If I really do have it, then right now it doesn't seem to be as bad as I've been lead to believe.

I know she's always hurting though, and it kills me to see her almost always in some sort of pain (usually head and neck aches).

10. C. Wallace

Yeah, there are different degrees to the pain. Mine is most in my breastbone, shoulders & back. When it flares up, I feel it above my knees and a couple of other spots.

Some people have it but it's so mild it's nothing to worry about. Other people, like myself live for years in moderate pain, and for others it can be downright crippling.

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

This came up on another forum, I'm on. One of the posters there is certain she has it, but she only hits five of the seven check points for it, so they won't diagnose her. The only thing that seems to ease her pain is Ibuprofen, which she's not supposed to be taking.

On the accusations of seeking meds, I found out that there's a guy in my town who's been accused of this by the local hospital. (which is infamous, around these parts) He's got a condition that causes his inter-cranial pressure to rise to dangerous levels. The only treatment, when that happens, is a spinal tap. He's tried telling them he doesn't need pain medicine, he needs a spinal tap, but they just accuse him of looking for painkillers. Doesn't make sense to me, either.

12. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

My wife has hypermobility syndrome.
    It's on and off, but when she has a spell with it her joints hurt pretty bad.

13. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you're having side effects from the medications you should consider not taking them--since fibromyalgia isn't real, they can't actually be helping you.

Yeah. Lemme guess--he's going to the Emergency Room. For a long-standing condition that has already been diagnosed, and isn't emergent. And they're suspicious of him. SHOCKING.

What doesn't make sense to me is why he doesn't go to the doctor that diagnosed him with said mystery condition, and either 1) get a spinal tap from him or 2) get a referral to a neurologist who can do so, and who (as a bonus) might be able to treat underlying cause of said mystery condition rather than just intermittently addressing one of the symptoms.

14. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

He can't schedule his flare ups, and that's when he needs the spinal tap. Gives him a nasty headache, that no painkillers will touch. I don't think there's a cure for it, all they can do is treat the symptom.

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah. Okay, I mean, whatever, I know you're just going on what he told you, but I'm gonna have to call bullshit.

There's no disease that causes episodic increased ICP and has only a spinal tap as a treatment. There are meds and surgeries to be considered. And even if--in the short term--he needs those taps, it's still not a goddam emergency. He needs to find a neurologist, establish a relationship, work out a treatment plan, and be able to call him when necessary for a tap. AND IF the neurologist isn't available, he should go to the ER that the doctor has privileges at and have a copy of his medical records (or even better, a letter from his office).

Random ER use is the wrong answer--for his health, for the providers, for the people with real emergencies that are kept waiting, for the taxpayers.

im just saying

16. C. Wallace

The debilitating pain I have had over the last 17 years seems pretty real to me. To finally find relief in my new medication has wholly change my life.

Exactly in your opinion how is fibromyalgia not real?

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1) NO identifiable pathology or etiology. It's a "disease" with no cause.

2) HUGE correlation between a diagnosis of fibromyalgia and a history of depression or other mood disorder.

3) First line intervention for fibromyalgia, and the most effective one? Anti-depressants, typically SSRI.

Fibromyalgia is a physical expression of a mental disorder, not a real disease. You feel pain because you have mental health issues that aren't being appropriately addressed, be it depression, somatoform, Munchasen's, factitious disorder, malingering, or something else.

Two made-up things combined, awesome. And what a crazy coincidence you have similar symptoms (protip: not really). Shockingly, people with mental health issues often find themselves in relationships together. That's what makes Thanksgiving with my cousins and their spouses so much fun!

18. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    You are the last person on these boards who should be spouting such nonsense. Fibromyalgia my not be completely understood, but it is not "in one's head." Before going off half cocked, maybe you should read up on it. Start with Mayo Clinic; they have an excellent article. Until you do that, shut the hell up.

19. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not sure about this, but I believe that my dad has it.

Bryan, shut up.

20. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Don't worry, I'm sure he/she will start a thread apologizing to Fibromyalgia sufferers/patients in the near future.

To C Wallace, I'm glad to hear you found a competent doctor and have pegged the source of your pain. I just hope the side effects subside, sometimes the cure is worse then the ailment.