Does anyone else have the Art Asylum Star Trek TOS Communicator?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by tikgnat, Feb 12, 2010.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm asking about the full size communicator replica with the metal flip cover. Visually it looks fine. The metal grille is matte, not the Entertainment Earth exclusive which is shiny gold.

But this is where things go south, the box says it has 20 sound effects, and features the voices of Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty and Uhura. Here's a run down of the sounds it has.

Open Communications blips
    Hailing tone
    Spock: 'Captain, shall I beam down an armed party?'
    Uhura: 'Bridge here Captain'
    Scott: 'Scotty here Captain'
    Kirk: 'Enterprise to Mr Spock'
    Kirk: 'Bridge this is the Captain'
    Kirk: 'Transporter room, ready to beam up'
    Spock: 'Spock here Captain'.

Which is 9 by my count, significantly less than 20. And no McCoy at all! I have pulled out the try me tab, when it was in it only had one trial sound.

Also, the motion feature (the swirling disc thing) is intermittant, most times it works, but sometimes it won't work unless it's been off for a while (a possible battery/charge problem?) and the motor that runs it is horribly loud while sounding like its straining a bit.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has this product, has the same problems, or is mine defective? I ask because I was expecting more for what I paid (£25 from Forbidden Planet in London) and I'm wondering if I should return it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No bites?

Eeeh. Well after googling some reviews, they all say it only has these few phrases, but no mention of straining motors or intermittant features.

So I think I'll be returning it, firstly because it appears defective, secondly its has less phrases than the keychain communicator and especially when there's going to be a TOS phaser/communicator 2 pack that I can pick up for £30 at the end of the month.

Madness.