Does anyone else have QC issues with the Botcon toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by grayman, Apr 28, 2008.

1. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just received Goldbug and he has all sorts of quality control issues like poor edging on the paintjob, chipped translucent blue roof piece, deep scratch on the front bumper, the parts don't line up correctly no matter how hard I try, clumpy and grainy paint, etc. Does anyone else have these issues or did I just get a bad figure? n the brighter side, my Ricochet looks almost perfect.

2. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    the whole roof section of my goldbug kept popping off. i put a tiny sliver of glue around the socket it plugs into let it dry popped it back in and its now snug as a bug...a gold bug =p

3. grayman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol

4. shadow panther

News Credits:
    yeah i know, corny as hell but i just had to say it

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    dood, your sig was a blast from the past. SCUD was kewlness to me.

6. grayman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Of all the rotten luck. First I had the problems mentioned above with Goldbug. now I receive Botcon Blurr and the back of his right hand is completely missing the silver paint. This looks particularly awful in vehicle mode since only half of the hood is now painted. I have contacted the seller on Ebay about this and hope to get a satisfactory solution, but I am really disappointed with the quality of the Botcon 2008 toys. For the record, the Blurr pictured in the sellers auction had both hands correctly painted. The seller simply used stock photos and probably didn't notice the defect on the toy that he or she sent me. This is why I hold them responsible. A flaw like this should have been seen and mentioned in the auction. I would have passed.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Was Blurr sealed when you got it? Was it part of the sealed two pack? If so then I don't see where you can expect a lot out of the seller. Unless you can prove that the figure was oriented in such a manner that the defect could be seen, I don't see where you can expect the seller to do much. I have three of the sideswipe/blurr sets and everyone is oriented differently in the bag.

Not every seller is going to pain stakingly examine a sealed item for defects, I know I didn't. When my girlfriend and I sold her sideswipe/blurr set we took pictures of the actual toy sealed in the bag for the auction not stock photos.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be pissed to if I spent that much on a toy only to find it missing paint apps, but in reality there isn't much to expect by going back to the seller.

8. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    My Sideswipe has a huge scar on his chest! :cry 

Joking aside, my Botcon 2008 figures (Grimlock, Ricochet, Prime, and the Blurr/Sideswipe 2-pack) are fine, aside from Prime who has a chip on his faceplate and Blurr whose head is pretty loose. Nothing major, just tightened up Blurr's head screw, he's fine now, but how do I fix Prime's paint chip? Silver paint marker?

9. grayman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Motor Master, I understand what you are saying, but it does not apply to this particular situation. This Blurr was purchased by itself, not together with Sideswipe. The picture in the auction clearly shows the silver paint on both hands. The Blurr that I received is clearly missing the paint on the right hand. This part is the front hood of the car in vehicle mode. Blurr is packed in vehicle mode. It is immediately obvious to anyone that bothers to look at the figure. The figure is still sealed in it's bag. There is no need to remove it from the bag to see the missing paint. If it had been both hands, I can see how someone may think that it is part of the design. If the seller did not have a picture in the auction of the actual item or if the picture had Blurr upside down, I would be understanding. But the seller had a picture of a Blurr with both hands painted and shipped me a Blurr missing the paint on one hand. In my opinion, this makes them responsible. I have sold hundreds of items on Ebay and always use pictures of the actual item that I will ship for this very reason, even if I have multiples. Even if I used stock photos, I would still check each item to the best of my ability before shipping. This is a very obvious error. Does anyone know what paint to use to fix it, if I end up stuck with this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  10. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Well I just got my sealed Megatron/Rodimus set yesterday, and the QC on my Megatron is horrible. The black paint apps on the sides legs are not clean what so ever. It looks like they taped it off, painted it, and pulled the tape off when the paint was still wet. The red paint that is on the shoulder cannons is gloppy and is already flaking! Finally I am missing a blue paint app on one of the cones! The worst is the face. The blue is half painted on one eye and the silver paint is leaking over to parts of the helmut. The last part is there is a huge mold defect in his left forearm, it looks like someone shot it with a bb. For the price of this thing you think they would have checked their products. I am very disappointed, which is a shame since it is such a good looking figure. The Rodimus isn't bad except for his car mode won't align the running boards properly, but the original mold did this, but this is much more pronounced.

11. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Happily, all of my BotCon toys were great.

I had to exchange Riccochet at the convention, but the damage on the toy was obviously a shipping issue and not a production issue. (crack on the hood/windshield that got worse when you transformed him)

12. shadow panther

News Credits:
    hard to believe after all these years the series is finally getting finished

13. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I started a thread about this same subject over on the official boards.

My Blurr's left arm has a gap inbetween the two halves of it, meaning that he can't hold his gun properly. I'll probably just end up using a little blu-tak to hold it in place.

Also my Jazz and Ricochet had hand-holes that were too small for the gun peg.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have the same issue with Goldbug's canopy and hood. I noticed it in the Club Store line waiting to buy Megatron and the others. I think it was Deefuzz that took a photo of me holding the two pieces and was going to call it "Foster fails at Botcon." :lol 

15. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Prime's battle damaged! It's not a defect, it's a feature.

My jazz's roof had scoring on the right side. Seemed to be common enough since they've used the mold like six times. Saw similar issues but not quite as pronounced on ricochet and jolts. Since I was at the con they had no problem exchanging it.

I didn't see anything on the others but I've only played with the ones in the boxset, Megatron, Sideswipe, and the minicons. Need to check out blurr and rodimus when I get home.