Does Anyone Else Hate Seeing Optimus's Mouth?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by TransRanger, Mar 14, 2011.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    That's not a nose.

A nose is more than three little lines coming off your brow. That's just detail.

I never understood why he had that puppet-look to his mouth when the toy didn't have an opening mouth and it didn't open like that on the show.

2. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

I'm not bothered at all. But I wish he'd put on a happy face once in a while.

Well, you could say that those are tiny vents that are the equivalent of nostrils. But like you said, those could be there just to break up the flatness of his face. :/

3. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

The thing that is most distracting is his youthful look. I'm a huge fan of the face plate but I can get behind the idea of Prime having a mouth behind it. This just looks too young for the character.

I'm a little sad though. Recently a lot of characters have been going with mouths over face plates, like Wheeljack. The battle mask is kind of cool but it sucks that this is disappearing from the fiction.

4. madhatprime

madhatprime Call me: Ghostprime

News Credits:
    I agree I think Prime looks too young without his faceplate. At least in the movies he has a mouth that is lower on his face creating a wiser look. In "Prime" he looks like he is young, and that doesn't fit with his voice. It worked for animated due to him having a younger sounding voice. I was surprised that i liked wheeljack's look without the mask...but I would have liked his "ear" to glow when he spoke...:p 

5. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Prime must have a mouth plate. I cannot stand the mouth. I can accept that for the movie but not a cartoon.

6. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Wait...

You think that this...

[​IMG]

Looks better than this???

[​IMG]

One has tons of detail, the other has no detail it's not even a contest. I guess you just like your faces to be plain and bland.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why don't you use a pic that shows the actual face in good size?

[​IMG]

******ed clown blue lipstick? Check. Creepy mouth? Check. Pouty lips that make creepy robot mouth look even more disgusting? Check.

Plain and bland > Terrible uncanny valley shit.

8. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was more referring to the bump in the nose area directly below the center line. Sorta highlighted by the shadow there, kinda.

But, I can see your point and shall gracefully bow out of the discussion as I've nothing more to add. :thumb 

9. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    What...THIS argument again...You'll be arguing about it being a long nose truck next.

Optimus has a face - Deal with it

10. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    hang on

[​IMG]

11. Skottech

Skottech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh it's horrible. He should have stayed a cab-over but at least they ditched the movie flame paint-job in Prime.

from what I can tell it's not not so much that Optimus has a mouth, more like the mouth doesn't really fit the character in question. even Wheeljack has gouges in his face whereas Optimus's face looks minty fresh still

12. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Long nose truck > flat nose

It's just much more imposing than a box with wheels.

13. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    His whole face is blue under the faceplate brohemerson. Thanks though, now I can't unsee it.
    It's not exactly the nicest model I've ever seen, but it's not *that* creepy. Not great though. The horrible mouth movements didn't really help. You want an analogy, he was more like a ventriloquist dummy with that flapping mouth of his.

I don't even wanna know the mad-on you've probably got against Rhinox. Now *that's* a pair of lips.

14. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yep. That and the longnose semi is very common, thanks to government deregulation of semi truck length (going from limiting overall length to 55 feet to just the length of the trailer at 53 feet). It's more aerodynamic than a box on wheels, and it is much larger, meaning Optimus gets more mass.

*I only learned of the deregulation from another poster here, who I can't remember for the life of me. I wish I could, so that I could give him or her the proper credit.

15. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Because I couldn't find a good picture on his character page and didn't feel like looking threw the episodes to find other pictures of him.

If that's lip stick it's not just on his lips, his entire face is that color.

What's creepy about it?

They aren't pouty, pouty is what they do when you're kissing or about to kiss.

I said it before and I'll say it again, no one cares that Optimus Prime has a face, we care that he has an UGLY face, there's a difference.

G1er argument: Oh no Optimus has a face, G1 Prime never had a face so it sucks because it's different from G1.

The argument that we are having: This version of Optimus' face does not look as good as past versions.

It's just that his face plate has more detail to it than his face so it looks better. If they had just as much detail on both no one except G1ers would give a damn about Prime having a face.

Does this mean that Megatron is Harry Potter?

16. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Naturally as a kid I didn't really like Rhinox because of his design (not just the lips, his blood red eyes and the fact his chest was a freaking jaw didnt appeal to me)

But even then Rhinox's lips are less bad because he's all like "man i gonna kick you ass" big black dude. Cybertron Optimus looks like a puppet. One of those ugly puppets that make kids scared for life.

17. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. He looks like ET to me.

18. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't really care about Prime's mouth. What I do hate seeing are his spindly little fingers. I cringed during that scene in Scrapheap where he held Arcee's hand. It was horrible.

19. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Deceptipunk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Agreed.... Its just to common now!

20. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Whoa, he looks big enough to eat the bridal party...