Does Anyone Else Feel The Same Way I Do Around The Christmas Season?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Dec 16, 2007.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Let me first say that the intent of this thread isn't to judge anyone or to convey that this hobby is bad in any way shape or form. (I love collecting as much as anyone.) Nor is it my idea to fill the bandwith with some holiday propaganda.

But, I was sitting here admiring my collection. I have loose toys, MISB toys etc. I'm very proud of my collection and I truly love the hobby.

That's when I got to thinking. I started feeling downright guilty. I mean I was feeling pretty bad....not just about my collection but, about myself as well.

It's the holiday season, and I started thinking that here I am, a grown man with all of these toys and there's children this Christmas that won't get anything under the tree this year.

There's parents that'll have to tell their kids why Santa forgot about them this year. Don't these kids need and deserve these toys more than I do?

Who feels the same way? How do you get past these feelings? What do you do to help?

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I understand where you're coming from. I just have to keep telling myself to count my blessings that I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford the participate in the hobby I enjoy. And I like buying Transformers and donating them to Toys for Tots :) 

3. DavidW

DavidW Member

News Credits:
    Its difficult to judge these kind of situations. But I guess the major thing not to do is beat yourself up over it. It is unfortunite that much like you say there are kids who wont get what they want. Alas it is the way of things. Maybe for next year the site might try running some kind of toy donation fund to reach out to kids living below the povity line.

4. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you feel bad then go buy some of those TFs that're on the shelf or those "universe" cheap bots and donate them to a charity - that way a poor kid does get the chance to have a Transformer of his own.

I usually don't have any problem with it, the last TF I bought was an Alternator Decepticharge and Masterpiece Starscream so they were hardly gifts a kid could've gotten here (Decepticharge and MP Starscream were never released here).

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I could care less honestly about whether a kid is or isn't getting a toy for Christmas. There is always going to be someone in this world that is going to go without whether its toys, food, shelter, etc. I feel worse when I waste food knowing that some starving person would gladly eat it. Toys are at the bottom of the pile of shit that you or I should feel bad about.

Just be thankful for what you got, and help those without when the opporunity arises.

6. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I can't really add to what has been said, but I do take some good feeling from donating TF's or other toys to Toys for Tots.

Like smkspy said, You can't save the world's problems, but from my experience, I do feel good knowing some kid is getting a cool toy, and will probably be grateful and enjoy it, where I just display stuff, after fiddling with some of them, then they just sit in a glass case. *shrug*

I certainly don't feel bad about it, either. It's not like I took these from kids

7. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    If you really feel bad, why don't you package some of them up and donate them? You can afford to replace them, and do something nice for some kids at the same time.

--Moony

8. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

Nope, not when I go to Walmart and see snotty children bossing their parents about what they want and then cussing them out when the parent says "only one". This is the time that I thank the man upstairs for giving me a decent job that lets me pay my bills and have a hobby

9. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    I don't think he's talking about those types of children you see in walmart.

I usually buy $100 worth of toys to donate to Toys for tots each year (last year I bought the whole first wave of classics, doubles of Bumblebee and Starscream). This year has been pretty rough, but I still managed to buy a Spiderman figure and a barbie for a local toy drive.

Don't just sit there feeling guilty, next toy run, pick up an extra figure and drop it off in a toys for tots bin.

10. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

That is awesome man.

11. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I think it is a great idea to donate toys for kids during this season. I donate stuff every year and recommend everyone to do the same. Really makes me feel good and it helps someone who needs it more than I do.

12. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

Some forums actually get their members together to donate items/money to a childrens hospital or something.
    It would be cool to see this happen here.

13. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Not really, like Optimus Scourge said, it's not like we're stealing from these kids. My dad tells me about all these kids in the Philippines(where I'm from) that are poor and begging on the streets, and makes me feel guilty

14. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

No, I usually buy a few toys for toys for tots.

15. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

Yeah I was being a little cynical. This year I sponsored 2 kiddos from our agency, and I did donate to some ladies that were doing a bear drive at JCPenneys

16. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm always aware that every TF I own is one less out there for a child to have and enjoy like these things were intended to be. That's why I have an intense dislike for MISB collecting. At least play with the thing a little bit, pour a little out for your homies who ain't gone none...

Also, everybody's attitude of "you can't solve the world's problems" is why the earth's problems don't get solved. We made 'em; we can fix 'em.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    dont really feel guilty for owning toys considering its not essential.

im more concern that that these kids are getting food/education.

giving a toy is nice and all, but im a realist and and giving away toys, while nice and all, is superficial compared to the kids real needs. itll give you a fuzzy feeling for doing a little good and brightens their day but if youre really serious abt it, you have to ask yourself, what can i really do to change/affect their lives.

18. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

But it's the sick kids that get a boost from this giving. A cancer patient, etc........ A toy will brighten their day!
    If you think giving a toy is superficial, add a $.99 burger or a Happy Meal from McDononalds along with the TF!

19. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First let me say that my main charity is Toys for Tots. I have donated over $15,000 dollars worth of toys and comics to them over the past 5 years alone. I personally feel that no kid should go without a gift on Christmas and when I can, I do try to give what I can afford to.

That said, I do not feel guilty for my collection as I have earned every toy I own. I put a LOT of time and effort into my collection and am quite proud of it. Anyone who's worked to build up their Hobby shouldn't feel guilty about it. Enjoy what you've worked hard for. It's great to give and help when you can, but sometimes you need to be a little selfish and to think about yourself as well. Otherwise what's the point to working hard?

20. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Seriously, I think a cure for whatever disease a sick child has would be more likely to make them happy. Only 1% that's right 1% of the plants in the Tropical Rainforest have been tested for medical use. The rain forest is being torn down before scientists even get a chance to test these plants for medical use. Think about what we could cure with the other 99%. Craploads of kids and kids parents wouldn't die of fatal diseases , cancer, AIDs, MSRA, whatever it is big or small. Donate money to the appropriate groups. Yeah when you see images of kids faces lighting up when they get a toy it makes you all happy, but that's the media showing you these images.... think about what the media does. I am not saying these kids don't deserve toys. But they do get them, they need more than that. A chance to live to be more than a child? maybe into adulthood?
    Also the kids depending on what they have, have limited tiem to play with the toys you give them. They are usually on schedule, like maybe in the morning they all wait around for their pills and shots, then they have arts and crafts, then snack time in the playroom, then a few hours of math or reading, then lunch.. etc.