Does anyone else feel like stopping?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Darkhawk79, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    Recently I have started collecting TF's again as my son has taken an interest in Transformers and I knew getting back into it that it wasn't a cheap hobby as things can get expensive but with the recent news of some things not making it to the U.S. or even being released at all I've started to wonder why I got back in. Yeah I enjoy collecting and the hunt but I like to know that during the hunt I actually have a slight chance to find what I'm looking for. I personally don't feel like getting online and going to an online store is the same as going to brick and mortar stores and looking through the new and old stuff as that's part of the fun of collecting in my own opinion. Now I now gas prices going up have made some people want to stop going to stores and they get everything online and there's nothing against that either but it seems that Hasbro and Takara and whoever else is making transformers doesn't want to send stuff to B-and-M stores any more which kills old school collectors like myself who for one don't have time to check every online store 100 times a day to see if they have restocked or if there's a preorder for what I'm looking for and for two drives the prices up to where a $7 toy now goes for $50 on ebay which is stupid (ex: Windcharger). I know I could place preorders for things, and I'm not trying to knock online stores, but even now a preorder for Warpath is 24.99 on BBTS and it only retails for 11.99....why double the price for toy that hasn't even hit most retail stores.

So I guess what I'm asking is who else is fed up with not only the store shelves full of HFTD toys and the same ole things we've seen for the last 6 months but the prices reaching outrageous high for toys that retail for way less.

2. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

I basically have, I am just getting stuff for the various classics lines, and some HA scouts from derp to get weapons and stuff, and skyhammer, because that one just looks too damn cool, but other than that my collecting ends when dotm toys start, at least untill prime Ratchet and Skyhammer are released.. OK so no I am probably never going to cold turkey quit buying transformers, but I am damn sure slowing down :lol 

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I'm going to slow down or completely stop collecting myself. Many various reasons. Money is way too tight for me to just waste on plastic crap that's just gonna sit around. I'm moving in with my gf soon, gonna have to start paying to support myself. Couple that with the lack of new product anywhere, and that most of the upcoming figures really do not interest me, and I've found a good time to get out.

Really do want that HoS Shockwave though.

4. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

It's natural to feel this way. I feel the same way as well, though I never thought of quitting completely. I will probably stop buying new figures until I see something that really sparks my interest.

5. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    Gas is a factor and so is competing with the other collectors and scalpers for the in-demand toys. This is where my preordering reasoning comes in. I don't need to get the toys when they first hit retail, but you still have to deal with people wanting their toys. Right now Scourge, Kup, and Wreck Gar usually don't sit on the pegs for over two days. Also the movie is also what is killing it for the end of the line toys. Retailers stop ordering and order tons of movie toys because that will be where the profits are. I still like getting my toys. I just do it with less frustration.

6. Astronopolis

Astronopolis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    my collecting is slowing down certainly, especially with the final heave-ho of the movie franchise coming up, but i suspect it will probably stay that way or continue to decline in the future as the holes in my collection get filled in. once i have my goal of having the cartoon cast filled with classics figures, ill be done, and im about 20 or so figures away. after that, ill be selling the old ones for newer/better iterations as they come.

7. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I know it can be frustrating. After all this supposed to be a HOBBY...something that you are supposed to relax and enjoy with. The biggest blow we have had since last summer was distribution. And issues with Hasbro AND retailers are what have caused several of the points you have brought up, along with stress.

However, sometimes it's best to make sure that you enjoy what you actually have. Collecting, especially under these circumstances, do tend to drive people mad. Just sit back and think if this is something you really want to do, or continue doing. I limited myself only to classic styled figures, because out of all these past years, they are the only ones to have kept my interest. Movie-line, and along with all others have no appeal to me any more. And I can rest easy knowing the amount of money I am saving.

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Its threads like this about slowing down collecting is why Hasblo are cancelling Windcharger! I am so mad [/nerdrage]

;) 

Seriously though, I'm hitting a similar wall too, I'd bought a fraction of the ROTF line, and DOTM look like even less, the Prime with the trailer is the only thing that I'm planning on getting, and thats to carry on my Prime collection.

Other than that its Classics only really. Hell I've pretty much made up my mind to stop buying action figures in general, and simply pump that money into those Kotobukiya Bishoujos I love so much.

9. sh002

sh002 Banned

in a couple of months if all i see are dotm toys and shelfwarming pcc's and hftd's, i'm gonna take a long break.

10. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Hasbro has me by the balls.

I will continue to trade my green pieces of paper for plastic goods.

Still need a bunch of stuff before DOTM hits store shelves, and then I need to buy a little bit of DOTM. Add Star Wars in the mix, and I'm fucked. Enjoy my money!

11. Darkhawk79

News Credits:
    Glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. I don't think I'll ever stop all together since my son has shown an interest since I've picked up some animated TF's and he loves to play with those. I have limited myself to just getting Classics figures or figures that fit in the classics line and have just now started getting the animated when I can find them at a decent price.

12. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I agree with everything you said...sometimes I look @ the stuff and wonder, why? I do think it becuz when the movies hit , the classics are put on hold. I mean they haven't even gotten around to making decepticons chugs.(bitzwings,shockwave etc.) Hell they haven't even updated hot rod yet...movies toys are meh, but movies are being made. But when a company says " we are cancelling X because X said so" makes it really annoying. I know when they make a real chug springer, you will be right back in it...
    I'm tryna get the G1 cast and I'm done!...

13. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Like Angelwave and others have said, it is a hobby and it is supposed to be enjoyable. Don't get too caught up in the "gotta have them all—NOW" mentality. Hasbro is going to want to recoup the costs of making figures like Wheeljack, Warpath, and Rumble/Frenzy and they have been pretty good about listening to the fans' wants and needs (Classics Thrust, Dirge, & Thundercracker come to mind). It may take a while but they will eventually see release in a future Transformers line.

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I don't feel that way, as most of the stuff that's been released as of late doesn't pique my interest at all. I think of all the money being saved as a valuable asset for when something truly worthwhile hits the market.

15. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    It's not Hasbro who is at fault here... the blame goes to your retail stores for:

A) over-ordering product
    B) not putting old product on clearance
    C) not ordering the cases to begin with

All of those times you're going to a store and coming home empty handed, that's not Hasbro's fault - that's Wal-Mart / Target / TRU / whoever's fault.

Read the rumor about Windcharger on the front page - Hasbro *wanted* to send this stuff to B&M, its B&M who doesn't want it and aren't ordering it.

If you've found nothing but old stock at your retail stores for the past six months or so, again, that's not Hasbro who is at fault. They can't force the stores to order and stock new product.

16. Darkhawk79

News Credits:
    I'm don't have to get everything right now as I am patient but I at least want to know there's a chance to find it.

I do understand that retailers are to blame for this stuff getting released state side just like the companies that make them, I'm just frustrated as I'm sure we all are.

17. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    There are a bunch of reasons to collect and sometimes there are reasons to stop. Each person has their own decisions to make on whether they should keep collecting or not. Some figures will always be hard to obtain especially when lines are ending and new ones are starting.

18. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    I felt like this around the release of the ROTF movie/toyline. What I ended up doing is thinking about what I really like about the franchise as a whole. Long story short: I ended up narrowly focusing my collection to CHUG and selling off 97% of the rest. Doing that allows for collecting "seasons" so to speak where I'll have a lot of stuff to collect for a few months, then have a few months reprieve to save more money and such.

Doing this "cutting back" has really revitalized my enthusiasm for collecting... and it's far easier on the old wallet.

19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I reject thisline of thought. First and foremost, if the rumor is true then it is HASBRO's decision to can Windcharger- not Wal Mart's or Target's decision to tell HASBRO to can it.

Especialy since Scourge and Kup are flying off the shelves in many areas.
    But then again, they are probably all new cases, not a new figure mixed in with old product.

So, even if it's somehow not HASBRO's fault for HASBRO's decision to cancel Windcharger, it was HASBRO that decided to put 1 new figure in a case with all old figures.

20. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

I've though of it many times but just decide to limit what I get. I focus on the 84-86 classics figures that come out as I don't like the movie and other stuff.