Does Anyone Else Dislike Leader-Class Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Jun 10, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots

Probably not.......I might break down and get him if he looks as great as those screenshots we saw.

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I think that the old BW class scale was the best. Basic, Deluxe, Mega, Ultra (just for the upgraded leader characters or big or/and dumb henchmen) and sprinkle it with some Super/Supreme (for bases and ultra villains ala Unicron) here and there. The majority of the figures should be Deluxe and Mega sized.

Just my :2c: 

3. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    I rarely get Leader Class molds or Supreme for that matter. My collection comprises mostly of deluxe size figures. The only Supreme I own is Unicron. As far as Leader class mold, I only have RID Prime and Galaxy Force Prime. when a Leader class mold is released I tend to weigh the looks of it compared to its smaller scale versions and the price. Usually in the end either the gimmick kills it for me or the smaller version just looks better. It doesn't help that I hate electronics in my transformers. I will probably get the Animated leader class Megatron though, it seems to be the best version of Animated Megs. Ultra Magnus looks nice too, but I doubt Ill get it.

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This can't be emphasized enough when people complain about the same character in multiple size classes.

Like SL said above, in pre-movie lines, you had very limited choices for your main cast... particularly Prime or Megs. If you wanted them, leader was the only option, except for perhaps a legends or spychanger (and we did get deluxe Prime in Armada, which was well-liked).

But starting with the movie line, you typically had at least 3-4 options for all of your main cast... kids/parents could choose based on affordability, and collectors could choose what they felt represented the character best.

While I'm not smitten by TFA as a line, I do believe that continuing the "character across multiple classes" trend is very, very wise. More options = more sales.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I still don't consider guys like Voyager Bulkhead a waste. A waste by your deffinition is all personal opinion. And in MY opinion, there are no wastes in Animated.

6. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Elie Guard Bumblebee would like to have a word with you.

7. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    There's no wrong opinion when it comes to this particular discussion you're having.

You're entitled to yours and they're entitled to theirs. The end.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    That's what I've been saying all along.

Probably. I really don't like that repaint. (not because it's a "waste" just because it's kinda.. not my taste?)

9. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Your Elite Guard Bumblebee style is no match for my Prowl with Sidecar technique.

10. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod Larzzing on twitter!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only like leader figure if they are done really, really good. Movie prime for example, that is a perfect leader figure. Generally I really don't like the leader figures. I was very happy to see no leader figs in the classics line, also was happy to see no electronics, but that is a whole other argument. Then I was very angry to see that they were doing leader figures in animated, but they deffinitaly grew on me alot.

11. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    GIANT ROBOTS! FTW!! but seriously i've always had a preference for larger sized robots. (just look at some of those larger 80's G1 TFs)

To me they look more visually striking & when displayed will always grab anyone's attention. the downside is they tend to take up more space but i'm ok with that.

12. dkrolickm

dkrolickm Beast Wars Predacon

Ebay:
    Yeah, he was great...until his rachet joints stopped working, and now he just falls on his ass...

13. dkrolickm

Ebay:

14. dkrolickm

Ebay:
    Sorry about the double post, but, how can you call him perfect when his shoulders flop around every time you pick him up, or move his arm? :banghead: 
    EDIT:Why must must my comp mess up?????EDIT

15. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    because the shoulders on the ones we bought work fine??

16. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine is fine too although it does flops around abit once in awhile. but it is one of the best of the recent primes. one of my personal favs.

17. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    THIS.

Call it a Lultra size class. $30 local currency (sorry blokes). Of course to get to this point we'd have to remove some of the electronics which I have no problem with and move the Supreme class down to $45. To make this a legitimate "HASBRO should do this" argument we'd have to follow the $$$.

1) Can HASBRO make more money selling a $30 Lultra class versus a $20 Voyager and $40 Leader?
    No.
    Buyer a - "I want the big toy, I want the big toy."
    My personal belief is that even with the electronics they make a hefty profit off of the Leader class so that when it gets clearanced out at $20 a year later they've still made a killing off the mold.
    Buyer b - "We can't afford a $40 toy but this $20 toy is a bargain."
    And the masses who can't afford the leader class buy the voyager class.
    Buyer c - "Damn hasbro, why must you take my money. I have to buy both"
    Cha-cha-cha-ching for Hasbro.
    Then there are us suckers. If I work for Hasbro there's not way you could convince me to go Lultra.

2) Can Hasbro make more money selling a $45 supreme versus a $50.
    No. They probably also make a decent amount off the Supreme price point. If they sold it at $45 instead of $50 would the increase sales make them more money? Guessing, I'd say yes BUT ONLY IF YOU ONLY CONSIDER SUPREME SALES. The supreme class is there more to push the leader class then to sell itself in the same way that the leader class pushes voyager sales.
    a) A $50 supreme class makes a $40 leader seem like a bargain. A $40 voyager class makes a $20-$25 toy seem like a GREAT bargain.
    b) A $45 supreme class makes a $40 leader seem like a rip-off.

Conclusion: as long as a $40 leader class exist they cannot sell a supreme class at $45 and as long as enough people (5% collectors, 5% completist, 20% richer/kid-spoiling parents/grandparents) buy the $40 leader class they'll never make a $30 Lultra class.

18. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    I like the idea of Leader (and for that matter, "Supreme" or "Ultra") class figures more than the reality of many of them. TFs at that size ought to be nearing Masterpiece levels of complexity & poseability, in my opinion. I'm also not a fan of gimmicks, I'd rather that R&D time & money was spent elsewhere on the figure .

But then, I don't think I'm Hasbro's target market, so it's just wishful thinking :) 

19. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

You're in the UK so of course Hasbro's doesn't care about you. . . =D

20. Gouka

Gouka Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know, which is why I said Leader or bigger.