Does anyone else agree with me?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rusty24, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I'm personally not a fan of Cybertronian alt modes for Transformers toys. I just think it defeats the purpose of being robots in disguise. However, I do like some of the WFC figures. Does anyone agree?

2. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

i didn't even read your post, but no, no one does.
    That has been my experience IN life. Just kidding.
    I agree that cybertronian modes seem a bit useless in the fiction. WFC megs is awesome

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  3. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No. I love Cybertronian alt. modes.

They're Cybertronian... cybertron... where it's pretty much only Transformers inhabiting it. I've come to the understanding that alt. modes on Cybertron aren't to hide, but more for functionality.

Regardless, I love Cybertronian alts a lot more than earth mode. Just always loved the aesthetic.

4. Astronopolis

Astronopolis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    depends on where they are disguising themselves i think. the technobots were season 3, which took place in the future, so their modes were future earth vehicles. i can usually suspend my disbelief in this way for most futuristic vehicle modes ;) 

5. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Not entirely, no. While I love Earth bound, realistic alt modes, sometimes having a Cybertronian one allows the designers to "cheat" a little to acheive KILLER robot modes.

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well not only that, but they don't end up looking like shitty versions of real things... as they're completely up to the designers to well, design.

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hate Cybertronian modes movie style where they're just folded up pieces of crap attempting to vaguely look like something. The WFC ones are glorious though. Only one I don't really like is Megatron's.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I see Cybertronian modes as not "in disguise" but rather, increase their attribute, such as speed, strength, flight, etc.

Even earth modes... how "in disguise" are they? they all know each other are coming, most of the time.

9. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's a lot of fiction that the cybertron modes sync with. I like the fact that they are available since as an alterante option since earth modes are continuous overdone.

10. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends. Some look so bizarre and different that it just works. Others are just a space truck.

Like I said. Depends.

11. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    For me the whole cybertronian designs are some of the best designs they've ever done,and I really hated Hasbro for not atleast giving us Starscream and Jetfire from the first game,but hopefully with the second game they will give us fans what we have been craving for,more more more.

12. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I agree and I disagree. Sometimes I feel a cybertronian alt mode fits a character, like WfC Megatron. He's my Classics Megatron because it implies that he's arrogant enough not to take an Earth mode...afterall, why? He doesn't have to hide himself...he's goddamn Megatron!

On the other hand some earth mode bots are totally lame...like the Insecticons. I'm sorry, but robot insects is just ridiculous and stupid. PERHAPS if they were actually small like real insects sure...but they're giant insects that turn into giant robots. What's the goddamn point?

13. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To the OP, claim to hate Cybertronian modes all you want, I DARE you to say you wouldnt buy these if they were ever released and transformable. I DARE YA!
    [​IMG]

14. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    C'mon now, G1 pilot episode Soundwave as a Cybertronian streetlamp was freakin' boss. =)

All joking aside, I did kinda like the Seeker Tetrajet design. And Fabe just proved my point! Hell yeah, I'd buy those!

Kinda sorta. You have to remember that Transformers (the show) started out as little more than a half-hour long commercial to sell toys. Megatron turned into a gun so kids can hold him and go around pretending to shoot him. Similarly, the Insecticons turned into bugs because apparently kids dig bugs. Ditto with dinosaurs and cars and planes and anything else the toys transformed into. That's why I don't have a problem with the mass-shifting going on in G1; makes zero sense in the story but perfect sense as toys. It was necessary because Hasbro went around buying all sorts of hodgepodge Japanese toy license properties from various disparate toy companies during the 80s and threw together a show called Transformers to market and sell them to little kids and their parents. And you know what? It worked because the fiction they came up with is boss and still resonates to this day!

15. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I don't usually go for Cybertronian modes, but I prefer them to look like functional yet alien vehicles, such as a lot of WfC designs or those tetrajets.

16. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    i like the earth theme of TF altmodes...

that being said...i hope the continue the WFC/ FofC theme with alt moded characters in the generations line....

So we can have the best of both worlds...

17. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I think that as an adult it's only fair to think a little more about this. I'm not really content with this kind of stuff anymore with just saying "Oh it's ok, it was just intended to sell toys!" This is because people DO take the fiction more seriously now. IDW and all the others who have done comics, even the G1 Marvel, and let's not forget the fandom. Why do we care what the characters look like in the Bay films? The G1 was just intended to sell toys! It shouldn't matter what they look as long as they get toys, right? They don't have to make sense!

Good luck getting people to see it that way though, because people really do care about things related to the Transformers. In my case it's just how lame animal modes are in general....yes, even the dinobots....but at least the dinobots never had any pretense for disguise. They were just a mad science project that just happened to work out in the Autobot's favor.

18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    and WHY hasn't this been a 3rd party project?

i like Cyb. alt modes, because on cybertron, they had to hide somehow...

but what i don't like is LAZY ASS designs for cyb. alt modes. (TF 2007 Megatron, RotF Fallen, anybody?)

The WfC line (and comics like War Within) prove that cyb, alt modes can be incredible. and hopefully, we will see some of them in the classics/generations line.

19. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Can't stand "Cybertronian" alt modes.

20. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    What about... human alt modes?