does anyone buy tf packaging???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OMEGAPRIME1983, Mar 6, 2009.

1. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Title is self explanatory, just wondering if anyone buys 'em. I've kept a lot of packaging over the last couple of series, and I'm movin back home for a bit, so I'm wondering if anyone buys them, or if I hould just pitch 'em. Thanks everyone!

2. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

I only buy old Packages from the 80's..... Especially Japanese packaging

3. AMG

AMG Old School

No, I've never bought boxes or cards from toys.

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would like to, eventually- i need to replace at least a Megatron box (dealer sold me a shot to hell condition box with my figure) to replace mine that hasn't aged well.

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I buy G1 packaging.

6. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    not currently but id love to have a G1 Shockwave box for well my Shockwave lol

7. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    i sold all my binaltech boxes about a year or so ago for about $250.00

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't imagine packaging from the last couple of series being worth that much. Couldn't hurt trying to sell them though. You might luck out and find a buyer and, even if the packages don't go for very much, you'll still earn more money than you would just tossing them in the garbage.

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've sold a buttload of G1 and Japanese G1 boxes for top dollar... can't imagine too many folks are after anything beyond G1.

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I don't buy packages unless they've got mint toys inside them.

11. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I might take a crack at selling my Titanium G1 Ultra Magnus box once I get the figure out of it. I'm guessing I might *MIGHT* be able to get $10 for it at the most.

It will at least be an interesting experiment.

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I've got all the universe G1 updated figu.... Well I guess they are all updated G1 huh, well I've got most of the universe packaging and the leader class animated along with some of the delux animated packages. I thought I'd ask, cuz if I can possibley make even .75 to $1 a packagen it would be more than nothing, but if no one here thinks they would be worth anything I guess I'll just toss em. No point in keeping 'em. Thanks for the info all!

13. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    mail them to someone who is willing pay for postage!

14. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Speaking as a dealer who sell's TF packaging, Yes they do sell. G1 sells the best of course, While G2 and BW are starting to come into demand. (At least for me) I gather up any TF series package - INS book - Insert I can as someone always seems to be looking for one. And the newer ones become older as time passes.

I learned of this market the hard way when I had to sell off a few extras from my collection at the MN Botcon. I brought the extra packaging with me but most fans only wanted the loose figures. So I thought the packaging worthless when two guys walked up to my booth wanting to know what I wanted for the boxes I had under my table. I told them they could have them which led to about 6 guys fighting over who was gonna get what in front of my booth.

So yes, they are worth money and there are those who will pay good money for them. But, most collectors don't really care so it's not something you see too often. For the most part, I bring what I have with me to Botcon every year and sell about $100.00 worth.

There is no real guide for prices for those that do other than what someone is willing to pay. My advice is to ask for higher prices on older stuff like the ones I listed above and reasonable prices on anything newer. Japanese and European packaging is a whole other deal and can fetch real good money with collectors on the older stuff. Especially if it's for a toy not offered in the US.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

15. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I wish I wouldve kept the boxes from when I was a kid. I have all the animated and universe2.0 so far as well as all the g1 re-issues (that I dont have originals of) with thier boxes, inst. ,inserts and even the twisty things--just in case. When I was a kid I used to cut the boxes and put the pix of the figures in my walls. ---love the g1 artwork!!! Now my collection room has alot of display box action. As an adult collector I think its important to keep all of the packaging together just in case I need to sell them latere on down the road. I do believe that the animated line will eventually become valuable as it appeals to younger kids the way that the original g1 line appealed to me. I can see a high demand in about 20yrs or so. Just a hunch.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I used to cut my G1 boxes up into separate pieces when I was a kid: the front character artwork, the tech specs, the back artwork, the side panels, and the bit on the top that showed the stages of transformation. To be honest I have no idea why I did that since I was going to keep all the bits anyway (still have them all these years later). Would've made more sense for me to just keep the boxes complete, which I started doing with my Beast Wars stuff and have done ever since. Although somewhere around the beginning of Alternators I've started reboxing my TFs MIB once they've done their stint on display. Maybe over the years the OCD has been getting steadily worse. :p 

17. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, see I kind of wanna keep them, but at the same time I don't have the room for them anymore...

18. luke4

luke4 crocon

i do the same thing. except i wasnt alive during g1 and i dont cut up my boxes. i just figure if i can get an extra dollar if i ever sell them... ill be a dollar richer.