does anyone actually read spawn anymore?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by ckhtiger, Feb 19, 2006.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I was big into the image books when they first came out. spawn kinda got repetitive on me around ish 40, so I stopped getting it. I looked at the newest one the other day, and it was like I could just pick up the storyline again, and it brought back memories. I remember when spawn was HUGE, but I never see it discussed here, and kinda was wondering why.

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Wrong section and no, I hate the book now. I stopped at issue 103, I was hoping for a big pay off but they killed Angela off in 100. I mean they left Grammy alive, come on. The book just got so boring and wasn't going anywhere. And it pisses me off this book is still around but they axed my beloved X-Man many years ago.

3. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I like the Spawn Cartoon from a few years back, and the movie, but never read the comic. I don't want to bother tracking down back issues to catch up in the story. Maybe someday, but right now I'm only reading TF comics and Ultimate Marvel TPBs.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Spawn has always been a dogpile.

5. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Opinions are awesome.

Um.. I used to read it. in a time of lame clones and mullet supermen. it was great to have the option of Image, but i stopped around 120. It did get kind of stale.

6. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I read the first 30 or so in the day and for some reason liked it but after a while it bored me. Got rid of them and have never looked back. I flipped through a few issues and thought, man what crap. :puke: 

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I scattered through the series. Actually started picking it up around 60 or so but dropped it soon after. It wasn't my cup of tea.

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

If I had elaborated it would have gone on way too long :p 

9. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

Got the first 36 issues, then a 100 ish. Never continued on. I still liked what the did to that Child Rapist but seeing that in 3d form is a nightmarish site.

10. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I have the first 30 issues or so of the series.

It was complete crap from start to issue 30 or so at least.

It was boring, drawn out, took 16 issues to go anywhere.

The only reason I kept going for so long was because I'm something of a "completionist" and like to have whole series when possible. Thankfully it just got so bad that I dropped it without wasting even more money.

11. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

He HAD to kill off Angela because the rights to the character were being contested by Neil Gaiman. If he continued to use the character further, that means if Gaiman won the lawsuit (which he did) McFarlane would have to fork over some money for that, too.

Also, it's worth noting that the new edition of the SPAWN TPB doesn't include #9 anymore.

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I got the first TPB when it first came out, and was moderately interested, liked the 'toon, and even the movie, I liked the figures, but that's another story. But I got bored pretty fast. Even when it went somewhere, it seemed like it didn't, so I didn't bother to continue. I tried to go back when they had that whole Spawn of Earth against heaven and hell, with that whole redemption/winged revision, but that didn't seem to go anywhere either, so I passed again, and never looked back.

It's kind of funny that you mention it. Just last weekend, I was cleaning out an old box, and there was the Spawn Vol I TPB.

13. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Used to really be big into spawn when I was younger, but then it became sporadic to really non existent. Just really didn't do it for me anymore.

14. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

I started reading it again around #132 or something and stopped a short time after that.

15. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I picked up the series at around issue #50 and collected all the back issues, reading through to about issue #80. Eventually dropped it after a number of problems with the series:

- The pacing slowed down to a crawl, especially in the late 60s through late 70s. Compared to the slow pacing in Spawn at that point, Ultimate Spider-Man is a high-octane thrill ride.
    - All the contortions the series went through to retcon Chapel out of Spawn's origin.
    - Too many plot lines going on at the same time, many of which seemed to appear and disappear whenever was convenient.

The cartoon, on the other hand, was excellent and the movie...the less said about that, the better.

16. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Say wha?!

Never mind, don't even wanna know.

True on both counts.

I started at the beginning and bought it through somewhere in the late 20s/early 30s. My stopping had more to do with just getting out of comics in general than anything wrong with the comic; I enjoyed it at the time.
    I picked up #50 a while after it was current for the milestoneness and to see what was going on, but didn't start buying the book again. Likewise for #100. I picked up #98-102, but didn't keep going.
    I did not pick up the recent #150. I flipped through it, didn't know WTF was going on and put it back. Doubtful I'll be picking up another issue anytime soon.

17. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I've read a few random issues/storylines, and while I enjoyed what I read, didn't think it was anything special.

Didn't much care for the animated series.

Really dig the movie. Been meaning to get the DVD.

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I kinda enjoy it, but the pace is way too slow. What most books can do in a few pages, takes an entire issue. Some stories are two or three issues long when they could have been self contained.
    I find it an interesting read, but sometimes way too confusing for its own good, and frustrating when a whole lot of nothing happens.

19. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

Toss me in the "used to, then" pile.

I don't think the story ever particularly grabbed me. I started buying toward the begining of Capullo's run 'cause he's just that good, then went back and purchased the entire series (I sorta dig McFarlane's art, but he's certainly no Greg). Stopped maybe 10 or 12 issues after Capullo left, when it became readily apparent that Angel Medina wasn't going to learn how to draw decipherable pages anytime soon.

I snagged the two issues drawn in that very Alex Maleev style, what, a year ago? Then, I tried to like Philip Tan, but the guy just isn't doing it for me.

In retrospect, I've decided that for me, Spawn was never about the characters or plot. It's one of the few books I stuck with for an artist (Greg Capullo - Why doesn't that man do more work?), plus the trepidation of messing up a complete run on a book.

That said, $3 a month for art I hate and a story that could be used as a substitute horse-tranquilizer is just too much. I am a Spawn fan no more.

20. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Still buy it. Every month.