Does anyone above the age of 30 still spend money recklessly?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Arkvander, Oct 2, 2010.

1. BreakY

BreakY Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Another post for me. 30 years old and I just spent over $600 collecting FansProject stuff this week. Just picked up City Commander, Shadow Commander, Nemesis Prime, and Warbot Defender on eBay. I look back and can't believe that I just spent enough to buy a PS3 and Xbox 360, when I can't justifying buying either of those to myself right now!

This is getting to be one expensive hobby, but I'd like to believe that this is an exception and not a norm. I'm just playing catch-up on all the cool stuff I missed since 2008!

Once I get Terradive and Tomahawk, my TF collecting should done until the next movie toys come out. I know I'll be getting at least 10 more from that line!

2. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'm 32. i used to get 5-10 tfs a month consistently. now, 1 to 2 figures a month is good enough for me. collecting becomes more fun and i get to go on vacations more.

3. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I'm only 22 years old.

I had to sell off about 50% of my TF collection. because it was taking over my house & getting in my girl friends way.

Anyways I don't have that kind of money to spend it in high excessive amounts on TF toys.

4. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

23 here, and I'm starting to slow myself down :D .

Between a new job, saving for a wedding ring, and my interest in TFs starting to dip a bit, I've really cut back on how much I'm spending.

I think as long as your basic needs are taken care of in the end, spend what you like. Just keep an eye out on your finances and it's all OK.

5. Jingjing

Jingjing Well-Known Member

hahahaha!

6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm 35, married, no kids, and was fully convinced that I don't spend money recklessly, but after reading through these seven pages of posts, I've come to the conclusion that I do, in fact, need to control myself better. I haven't put any money away in savings in a long time, and I just barely got my mortgage paid this month. And I work two jobs at around 60 hours a week, and my wife works 35-40 hours a week.

Bad Ikkstakk! Bad! :slaps wrist

Sometimes, when it feels like you have a lot of money coming in, you can get a false sense of security. I've often found myself saying, "Ehh, it's just money, I'll make more," and hand over my debit card for something I really should be waiting on. And there's another thing: I've always heard you should pay for stuff with cash. There's something mental that happens when you use cash instead of a debit or credit card, because you actually see the money leave your hand.

7. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Man, I wish I had $600/week to spend on toys. Lucky you.

8. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

This, so much. I think it's easier when you just swipe a card instead of watching that money just go away :p 

9. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

I'm 33 and paint pictures for a living. I'm lucky to get a deluxe every two months or so.

10. jacranky

jacranky Well-Known Member

THIS x 1,000,000. Seriously, I need to do that more often. Although, impossible when ordering stuff online. Just a couple clicks away of getting what you want!

11. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I think it is a lot easier justifying a lot of small purchases, especially if you aren't really keeping a running total. Big expensive items take a lot more willpower. It took me forever to pull the trigger on Fort Max, but I easily spent more than what he cost on a few prior occasions in a matter of days. It can get away from you really quickly as I have unfortunately figured out.

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'm not too far away from 30 myself...I spend frivolously here and there but it's not like I'm spending my mortage money or grocery budget on Transformers. THEN I'd have a problem on my hands.

13. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

For sure. It's easier to convince yourself to spend if you are buying bunch of inexpensive TFs, but together they can cost more than that big expensive TF you've been eyeing for a long time. In the end you have to go with what you really want because you aren't going to save a lot of money in the long run.

14. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    I've been toning it down recently. The days where I'll buy a Brave Max and a Botcon set within a week or so of each other are gone, mostly because the gap between all I've wanted and all I have is almost nil...and then when I finally realized that I was just buying all those ROTF figures just to have them...and that I didn't really NEED all those Universe/Generations figures...
    But Darkmount is neato.

15. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i'm 18, so yeah, i ain't like you old timers here

i have no bills right now so i do spend almost my entire check that night when i get it on toys, but i always check with my parents if there is anything they need help with before doing so, right now i am TRYING to put money aside for botcon 2011 but it won't be till this check when i can, and i got $350 worth of pre-orders i got to get ready for in december and january.....while my transformer purchasing is gonna slow down DRAMATICALLY right now, i'm still gonna pick stuff up (mostly just generations)

i like buying toys, but priorites (family) come first, i never spend when they need it

16. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You may have spent a lot of $, but I don't think it counts as being reckless. You knew what you wanted and you got it.

IMHO, impulse buying=reckless spending.

17. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

Good for you m'boy! Good times :) 

18. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I haven't spent money recklessly on toys in years. I'm 34 and I spent a good deal of my 20s overspending. Those days are long over, but then again, I had a shit job back then with no real bills to pay, unlike now where I've got tons of bills to pay but a much better, "real" job with no family to support either.

Discretionary money is much more plentiful now and I'm sure as hell far less impulsive with money. My buyer's remorse on things is next to nil.

19. BreakY

BreakY Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I never expected I would have spent that much to be honest! In my right mind, I would never spend $600, considering the economy that we are in. However, all the purchases I made were Fansproject items - Warbot Defender, City Commander, Shadow Commander, etc. Considering how fast these things sell out and the how expensive they get once they do, it was an "investment" I just couldn't pass up.

I mean if Shadow Commander can command $200+ right now, just imagine how much more expensive it will be to get my hands on it a year later! I might as well bite the bullet now rather than later.

This is the first (and hopefully the last) time I ever spend that kind of money. Total fluke man, total fluke!

20. BreakY

BreakY Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    True that. I spent a lot of time researching to make sure I really wanted these. Tried finding the cheapest alternatives and all that, but it seems if you want quality, you gotta pay for it.

I think I have everything I want regarding past stuff, so now, it's just focusing on the next TF3 movie toys and that should be it for me. :)