Does anyone above the age of 30 still spend money recklessly?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Arkvander, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    So, do you? Do you still every now and then throw caution to the wind and just load up on a bunch of transformers (or whatever it is you spend money on)?

The reason I ask is because my 30th birthday is rapidly approaching and I feel like turning 30 is one of the hallmarks of adulthood; that I am a responsible adult who no longer is reckless or makes stupid decisions (on purpose).

I've never been one for acting like my age, but I feel like I am at a point in my life where I can no longer justify reckless spending. It used to be that I would see quite a few things come out at once and I just had to have them immediately. But now I budget and plan and make sure I don't outspend myself anymore.

However. With all the recent Generations releases, MP Rodimus, Unicron, 3rd Party stuff and Animated figures I missed, I am feeling tempted. Verrry tempted.

Anyone who is under 30 feel free to answer as well, but I can excuse your reckless spending 'cause you're just a bunch of damn kids that need to get off my lawn!

2. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you have the money to spend and its on something you enjoy its not reckless.

If its spending the money that should going to bills/food then yes its reckless.

I'm 28, married so not alot of spare cash, but my wife understands and we tend to ear mark some money for a TF budget if we can.

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I'm 36 and still do so. But since I'm lucky enough not to be concerned with bills and what not, I can afford to do it. There for, it's not exactly reckless. I just need to start learning how to save for bigger items.
    Basically, if you can afford to do it, where is it reckless?

4. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As long as you make sure all your bills are paid and all other adult responsibilities are taken care of before you start buying your toys, then it's not reckless.

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I'm 32 in a week and I still go nuts occasionally.

I've bought a lot of TFS in one go several times this year (£500 in a couple of hours at Auto Assembly!) but now I'm selling off a lot of my stuff to balance that out, so I can still go for Takara Unicron and Primus and MP Rodimus all at the same time, because I know that I've made a decent amount of money from the sales of my G1s.

6. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Why do you spend your money so recklessly?"

"That's a question you should ask youself Nmbr1Ldr."

:p 

7. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    I am 32 and I am far choosier than I was 6 years ago when I got back into this hobby. I'm aiming to someday soon purchase a condo or townhouse so I can finally own property. Since this is my major goal, I have gone into serious savings mode; however, I still love Transformers and I'll be damned if I'm going to deny myself Trailcutter or the Rodimus armor that are coming out.

So what I did is create a budget that still allows me to someday reach my goal and still be able to buy Transformers that I really want. I say someday because if the housing market keeps going down, it may be sooner than I expected.

I have divied up my paycheck each week so I put about 45% of what I make straight into savings (figured that out from budgeting); and I put X amount of dollars to the side for miscellaneous purchases. Miscellaneous in this case can be Transformers, oil changes, birthday gifts, and stuff that does not need to be bought on a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly basis. I just make sure to stay well below the X amount of dollars so I don't screw myself.

I have also decided that I have too many Transformers since I don't have the room to display them all. I don't see the point in having Transformers I can't see and have to keep in storage; therefore, I am looking into selling them and every TF I sell, the money goes straight into my savings account and eventually to my IRA. I have even made my savings account off-limits to my debit card so that I won't be tempted to withdraw from it. Since the money is out of my hands, I can't spend it easily.

8. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    37 here. A little too recklessly at times but I am working on getting better.

9. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, but I throw away my life so recklessly

sorry couldnt resist

10. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It must be nice to be able to avoid responsibility for so long, huh?

11. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Yes, and it needs to stop. Next year is the year I quit building collections and only buy the occasional awesome item. No more of this "oooh new toys *snags up an entire wave* " nonsense.

2011 = CHOOSE WISELY

12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    34 and I stopped buying everything a few years ago. I still buy what I want but I don't feel the need to clear out the shelves when a new wave hits.

13. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Yes it is, but I'm sure my time will come. Can't be young forever.

14. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I'm. 32...I did, but now I have this thing call patience,but that can be hard too....but I have learn if its meant to be I will get it.....as far tfs goes, I usually grab the hot stuff first, but I also learned tfs are never sold out, it just you pay a higher price...if you can master patience, you will be okay...if you got it spend it, you can't take it with you, when you die...Live,Life,Love...

15. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Priceless, lol!!!

Like a lot of the guys have said, if you can afford afford to pay your bills or cover whatever costs you incur or you deem necessary and you have residual cash to spend on transformers then I guess it's not really reckless. I guess the recklessness comes into the fray when you buy for buying sake as opposed to actually buying because you like the figure!

16. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    i sold $500 worth of transformers on ebay last month, then bought $500 worth of transformers off ebay and BBTS web site ( ehobby anime astrotrain, 3 pack sweeps, botcon dirge, and an entire set of the nexus maximus/nexus prime set MISBag and takara unicron 2010 version)...i will be 38 next month...that's the most wreckless i have been in the last couple of years...

:drunk  :crazy:  :drunk  :bowdown:  :thumbs2:  :bay  :rock  :ev: 

i tend to like having a roof over my head and gas in my cars and not being homeless.

I will tend to try to get certain transformers if they pop up and if the budget permits...but do i throw it all to the wind and blow my $$$ on TF's randomly...fuck no....that shit ended years ago.

I learned years ago...if there is something you want...and cannot afford it right then...it will come back for sale eventually thru some other avenue.

17. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I wish.

18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i used to buy whole waves. back during my dumber days.

now, thanks to repaints, i don't have to. i buy just what i want.

i still spend a little recklessly, but i sacrifice things that my doctors wanted me to give up anyway. i trade a night out for Chinese dinner for a voyager. i skip pizza night for something else.

it's working better for my health, but not living space, lol.

(i am 36)

19. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm 35, married, with 2 kids. I generally allot $10-15 a week for my "Transformers fund". Except when we get tax refund money, and I can order my Botcon or club toys. Sometimes I'll sell figures I don't want anymore on eBay to help add funds, but in general the system works pretty well. I love sharing my hobby with my son, though...

20. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I do ok with this. I don't have a lot of room or money. I may buy 10-20 tfs a year. But they are all Japanese releases or store exclusives.