Does alt mode toy scale ever bother you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Gir, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Gir

Gir I want to be a mongoose

So on occasion while going through my collection there are a few figures that sort of bother me in terms of scale. Does anyone else have this happen to them?

For example take the G1 protectobots. Now I love the protectobots, but it sort of bothers me that Groove the motorcycle is the same size as Blades the helicopter who is smaller than Hot Spot the firetruck. Shouldn't Blades be the largest out of all of them? Combaticons have the same thing happening to them. Blast Off should be a lot larger. I understand the need to have all the robot modes the same size though.

Anyone else bothered by it at all ever?

2. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    In the case of a gestalt, it's a bit annoying alright, because you have a figure where the individual limbs aren't to scale with each other.

Other than that, it doesn't bother me too much. I usually have a couple other figures that are at a similar scale and I put them together.

It would be nice if more things were to scale though.

3. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

This is why Devastator and Predaking are always held in such high regards. There's something nice about the balance of scale in the component figures.

At least, in my opinion. Always regretted not getting a Predaking, but I was out of collecting by then.

4. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Constantly, I just can not bring myself to buy a deluxe sized motorcycle mold robot. It's scout or gtfo. Though having said that, I do make concessions in that I'll buy jets, tanks, trucks and other larger vehicles in the deluxe class size, but I would much more prefer things if they had better scale between each other, at least in relation to bot/character size (Powerglide, I'm looking at you here!).

i.e. Dinobots would be so much cooler if they were always Voyager+

5. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    yeah I can't stand deluxe sized bike-formers

6. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Scale and Transformers have never had a very good relationship.

7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, because there has never been a consistent scale in TF. It is what it is.

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always try to make the scale work. It's an interesting challenge. I tend to get figures that I'm very interested in, and then other figs that look good with them in turn, to create sets of displays that work.

My movie collection is built around Voyager Megatron; my classics (which are more flexible because G1 scale was...interesting) are built around City Commander and Faith Leader; I have two HAs that are going to be joined soon by Leader Starscream.

I probably could not buy a Defensor. I'm only getting FP Bruticus (who will be a new "centerpiece") because Blast Off is no longer a literal space shuttle.

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

It bothers me a little, and I still long for a TF line that is 100% in scale across the entire line (so far, as best I can tell, only BT/Alts, Alternity and Real Gear have accomplished that, but it's easy when every alt mode is a car or a pocket gadget). But it doesn't keep me from purchasing any particular figure, and I don't go out of my way to group figures by scale.

I do wish the franchise weren't QUITE so devil-may-care about scale issues, though. Sometimes it's almost like they take a perverse joy in scaling things oddly.

I'm not a fan of mass-shifting, either. I'd love a line in which the Seekers absolutely tower over the Autobot car-bots.

But you can't be too anal about scale as a TF fan. That way madness lies.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I couldn't care less about alt mode scale. They're robots first and foremost, the vehicle modes were always just a gimmick.

11. UKBrawn

UKBrawn Intergalactic Tin Opener

Im much more bothered about character and robots being in scale than their alt mode.

12. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nope. i mean deluxe wheelie is a rc car. and taller than ironhide..i still like them both...
    i liek them for the toys they are.....i don't read into it anymore than that

13. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    yea.I love rotf arcee , but I hate that her bike mode is bigger than jolt or bb

14. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Animated!

Or Movie/RotF, if you use Leader Screamer. :) 

15. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Another thread on the scale of Transformers? If they were to scale, we wouldn't be able to collect so many cause there'd be no room for some of them! That's why I like it when people display their WST next to their city-bots. To me, that's more reasonable scale representation.

16. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I really only care about robot mode scales.

17. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm another one that doesn't care so much about alt mode scale, I'm just worried about bot mode.

18. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Get a load of legends figures, transform them into alt mode and line them up. Then you'll see why there is no point worrying about the scale of figures.

It's nice if you can get it, but this is Transformers after all, so lack of appropriate scale comes with the territory - accept it and live happy.

19. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I refused to buy Animated Bumblebee because he was so far out of scale with the others. I bought the Activators Bumblebee which works fine. Later on I did buy the Elite Guard repaint since I could pretend it was an upgrade.

Animated Prowl will forever remain in robot mode since his motorcycle mode is so far out of scale with the others.

Passed on the Movie Deluxe Wheelie, but I snapped up the Legends version.