Does age change how you display your figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Deadfett, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Deadfett

Deadfett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi all

Something has been going through my head lately, I have been collecting transformers since I got my original back when I was a small kid getting G1 gears in 84/85 went through phases of buying lots and phases of buying very little. I have always had something displayed, as little as gears, grimlock and prime when I was a teenager to the heights of having a collection of bout 400 figures in my small bedroom at my parents house.

When I got first flat and had my small box room again displayed as much as I could

However after buying our first house at the end of last year I now have the biggest space I've had to display figures and I have found I have become very selective with what I display, not quite as limited to the 3 transformers of my teenage years but nowhere near my whole collection.

I remember looking on in envy at people on hear with rooms floor to ceiling covered in figures but now I feel myself shudder, recently only once or twice have I looked at large collections and been envious and they have been in big rooms where big collections don't take up the whole space but only a fraction.

Has anyone else felt like this? My wife jokes I'm growing up, but I still want to buy loads of transformers mainly 3rd party stuff the now though. So the plastic addiction is still there just how I display it has changed

2. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    I think age certainly affects how you collect as well as display ^^. Ive had many similar evolutions as well, having started collecting toys in the mid 90s

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd agree. I don't want a whole room dedicated to my crap, when the space would be better used for the kids' playroom or a home theater space. I'll be using either a wall of my office or of my garage/workshop once we get a bigger house for my toys. Maybe both.

4. Deadfett

Deadfett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Think that's how I feel, my room now has projector home theatre setup in it and I want it to be useable not just for me. I'm building a new garage next year for my motorbike and am going to put a home bar in the other half for entertaining in and I only plan on two detolf ikea cabinets with my classier bots taking space in this new chill out area

5. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Yeah, in as short a time as three years, I went from pretty much buying like an addict and shoving them onto any flat surface I could, to setting aside particular shelves for the ones that I actually like and go looking for, and selling all the rest that I bought in my collecting frenzy. Age does change how you display them, for certain.

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have a whole lot of space to begin with, but I prefer to leave as few figures out as possible since I'm super paranoid about dust and light damage, despite the fact that I'd like to see everything at once. It's sort of a Schrodinger's cat thing for me.

7. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I'm just the opposite.We had a playroom in the basement for the kids,and they weren't using it,so I said I could put the space to good use.Next thing you know,I have an entire room full of my stuff....and it's awesome.

8. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Well I'm trending the oppostie way at the moment, I've recently ended a relatively long-term relationship, and have a nice apartment all to myself with no one else to answer to, I've begun spreading out again.

Now, in my case, this IS my one real hobby. I go to the theatre a lot, but other than that the robots are what I do with my spare time and money, so I'm enjoying the heck out of setting up some nice displays.

I have evolved somewhat in other ways though, I used to like building massive diorama type set-ups, but these days I'm preferring to group everyone into small neat clusters that express the relationships between the characters.

Though I do have one big messy G2 battle goin' on on the top of one bookshelf!

D/L

9. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    While I am certainly jealous of some of the collections that are showcased in some really nice setups, I too usually only display a small amount of bots. Since I mostly collect G1, MP, and all Optimus Prime figures, I tend to rotate them through - so when I get bored looking at a certain group, it's on to the next group. That way I see, and fiddle with, all of them at some point.

10. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Well, I did feel silly having a shit-load of robots in my bedroom.

11. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think circumstance more than age effects how you display toys.

12. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed. Otherwise my two "ages" would be
    1) childhood: "diplayed" my toys all over the place. On the floor/toyboxes, etc.
    and
    2) current: display as much as I can on whatever shelf space I have

My girlfriend and I just started talking about moving in together last week, and she's aware of my hobby (and how much room it takes up). My plan is to get additional shelves and keep displaying as much as possible, since approx. half my collection is still boxed up. Who knows, maybe when the time comes, how I feel will change

13. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    When I was younger, I protected them.

Now... they protect me.

Like, you'd think it'd be the other way around, but nope.

14. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Me and my girl are gonna get a new place soon and its 3 bedrooms and one bedroom is really to small so its gonna be my office of sorts. I plan on displaying for sure my MPs and my classics. Really since its gonna be my room i plan on displaying as many as i can but for sure classics and my MPs.

15. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

I really do envy the HUGE collections/displays that I have witnessed here, but I don't have the space or collection to warrant such complete AWESOMEness... :bowdown: 

I display mine in small clusters throughout the house. I do have one shelf in the bedroom, which is where I display most of my stuff. But I've got several scout size figs on my desk top. I've got a few next to/on top of the TV console, and a few mixed into my DVD shelves. My wife once asked me why I didn't have any in the bathroom :eek: ... I think she was kidding. :crazy: 

16. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't allocate a lot of space to my collection (number of reasons, first and foremost being protecting them from our cats), but I do find that I end up jamming too many into the spaces I do allocate.

Every so often I go through and prune back to just a few of my favorites (which I'm due to do again), and I'm always amazed just how much better they look when there are just a few out. When there are too many out my eyes get lost in the clutter (I never realize this while it's happening).

17. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

the robots tend to watch.

18. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    I've transitioned from bookshelves as a wee lad, to the PVC-ish white plastic shelving units, to large, glass display cases. That has correlated w/ my salary.

As for what I display and how I do it - that has been refined as well. I used to get some of everything and now focus on "classics", BW, and MP w/ a *few* exceptions that are just exceedingly awesome. What I save in quantity, I'm making up for in price (be it customs or 3rd party stuff)

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I love having them on display.

I don't get much visitors much thow.

20. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I just got out of a 4 year relationship, so living on my own has changed a lot for me again; I forgot how simple it was:lol .

As for my collection, its still not out in the open, just my closet. I just hate having to explain why I'm a fan of Transformers to people lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its funny, people seem more tolerant of the Ninja Turtles, so I have them on my TV Stand

[​IMG]