Does a Transformer always have the same weight?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DemonessQ3A, Feb 10, 2012.

1. DemonessQ3A

DemonessQ3A Well-Known Member

In movie 2007, the official height of Optimus is 8.5 metres. But it seems to have changed to about 10 metres in ROTF.
    And in ROTF, Epps said Optimus' weight was 10 ton. That means Optimus is as heavy as a male mammoth, heavier than a male African elephant, and much heavier than a male Indian elephant.
    But that makes me think of another question - since a Transformer could "change" his/her height/look, would he/she always keep the same weight?
    Or his/her weight would change according to his/her vehicle form's weight?
    Eg. is movie Bumblebee of his own weight? or the same weight as a camaro?

Sorry for my not-good English. Hope you know what I mean.

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I doubt it. The concept of a 2-ton handgun is worse than the whole concept of mass-shifting. I was just always cool with the explanation was just "they're aliens"

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    In G1, at least, Transformers could alter both their size and weight - like how Soundwave turned from a several stories tall giant robot into a cassette player so small and light that a normal human could pick it up and carry it around.

Later entries into the franchise have downplayed this, though, so you can probably assume that someone like movie Bumblebee weighs as much in car mode as he does in robot mode.

4. OOSnake

OOSnake Well-Known Member

So, say, if a robot was as light in robot mode as in alt mode, Soundwave would have to be super-light? So made of some light alloy?

5. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    I don't think that Optimus was literally ten tonnes. I think that was just a quick guess.

And when did Optimus change to ten metres tall? Last I knew he was still 8.5 metres, which rounds up to about 28 feet.

I think the only time they'd change weight is going from protoform to Earth mode and vice versa, because they'd have the extra weight of the vehicle as well as the protoform.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It really depends on if there's any mass-shifting at all. If there isn't any, of any kind, whatsoever, and all a Transformers parts as self-contained, and no modifications are done on a Transformer between films, it's weight should be consistent.

Didn't Prime have a few modifications between the first film and ROTF (and between ROTF and DOTM as well)? That could explain the differences.

7. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

Explanation: Transformer biology. They're autonomous robotic alien organisms. Who knows how all those parts turn into a humanoid figure!

8. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Transformers gaining weight by simply transforming? It's a miracle of science!

9. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I'd love to learn the miracles of transforming and then transform in order to lose weight :) 

But I'm not gonna start to drink gasoline for this :lol 

10. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Doesn't Oppy mention something about training? Could it be robo muscles or some other odd robot thing of the like?

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If so, Spike (or a strong enough gust of wind) could kick his ass.

12. prime roller

prime roller introspective reflector

News Credits:
    Assuming we're going with the fictional advent of mass-shifting technology, it stands to reason that to change size, some of the mass is dispersed into energy, and reformed into mass again upon transforming back.

If not, than the matter would have to be compressed into the smaller size, and the weight (because the mass would be the same) would be the same, making for a very heavy 80s walkman and Walther P-38.

It seems that mass-shifting would be an exhausting thing to do.