Does a TF's performance characteristics depend on their alt mode?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pikatron, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

Are the alt modes selected by each individual TF to coincide with their own personal attributes or does that particular alt mode dictate how well a bot performs? For example, would Starscream be just as nimble in the skies as an F15 as when an F22?

2. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

I don't think the alt mode chosen has any bearing on what the character is able to do. The choice basically boils down to "That one looks like what I normally turn into" or "That looks cool, I wanna be that thing!" or in the movie-verse "That's about the right size for me".

3. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On occasion, the altmode actually becomes an impediment to the Transformer. G1 Silverbolt and Broadside are both afraid of heights, for instance, while Snarl hated his dinosaur mode.

Sometimes you choose the altmode. Other times, the altmode chooses you.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    They'd likely be constrained by the limits of cybertronian technology, not earth technology, so even if their altmode looked like a 70s volkswagon or an f15, they might not perform as one. That being said, maybe the same transformer (in the same contunity) with a newer altmode would perform better, who's to say? Usually an upgrade in altmode coincides with an upgrade in technology as well, so it's hard to gauge.

5. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

If Laserbeak, Soundwave, Wheeljack, Bumblebee, and the Seekers are any indication, it looked to me like, in the G1 cartoon at least, Teletraan I just picked Earth alt modes that were closest to their original Cybertronian alt modes insofar as function was concerned: a hovercar for a land vehicle, a jet plane for a spaceship, a data recorder for a cassette, etc.

Broadside also was prone to seasickness, which really makes you wonder what idiot picked alt modes that would cripple him two-thirds of the time. :p 

6. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    The personality of the Autobot or Decpticon chooses the alt mode.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm reminded of in G1, where Bumblebee was nimble and fast, or the early IDW series where Ratchets sproted rocket boosters.

I'd say no, but they probably don't pick an alt mode that would not in some way reflect their abilities. (Starscream isn't typically going to pick a car)

8. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Alternity Starscream would like to have a word with you. lol

On Topic. I always thought the Alt mode was chosen to be something that resembles their size and Cybertronian mode. So for example; No matter which planet he is on, Wheeljack's alt mode will always resemble Wheeljack's Cybertronian mode aka his original Alt mode.

9. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

I would tend to think it has more to do with the limits of cybertronain technology. Remember at the end of the first movie, Starscream was seen streaking out of Earth's atmosphere. An actual F-22 would not function without air flowing into its engines. I'm sure some of it is limited by the altmode. Like in a planet's atmosphere, Screamer would handle differently if he was a F-15, or a F-22, but once in space, it's probably all dictated by the limits of their cybertronian bodies. For land based altmodes, it's a little harder to tell. I always wondered if they had to stick with the maximum sped of their respective altmodes, or if cybertron tech would allow them to just speed up to insane speeds. But then you run into the same issues of air resistance based on the shape of the car...... So I guess it's probably a little bit of both. Another thing I wonder about is weaponry. In the toons, we consistently see the tfs using their own cybertronian lasers and whatnot. In the films, many more tfs are seen to use bullets and missiles of a more terrestrial design. There doesn't seem to be an advantage to using the earth-weapons built into the altmode when you have access to far superior weapon tech. Of course, Megs, Prime, Ironhide, and BB all seem to keep their cybertron weapons. But why would bots like blackout (Who is shown to have a fairly impressive energy weapon is his chest) consistently resort to bullets?

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Scuppered several times over by Ironhide, for example. He may have gone back to his classic red 'van', but over the years, he's also been a silver pickup and a beige Hummer (and an elephant), none of which resemble the Cybertronian form we've seen (whether he had any other, more different designs while still on Cybertron remains to be seen.

I'd say on the whole, the altmode wouldn't necessarily limit the performance of its owner. After all, if Starscream transforms into, say, an F15, that doesn't make him an F15 in all respects; he's a product of Cybertronian technology whose shell looks like an F15. That said, the laws of physics still apply, so I imagine if he transformed into, say, a '30s Bentley, he'd have trouble flying at Mach 2.5; even if he still had hidden rocket engines, the aerodynamics of the vehicle form would necessarily limit his speed.

Depends on the target, partially. Blackout's impressive energy weapon would have a significantly less impressive effect if used against an Autobot with some kind of dampening field, for example. As AHM showed, smart missiles aren't much use against an opponent who can jam their onboard targeting systems and send them right back at you.
    Sometimes low-tech just works better.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  11. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

This is pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. Then you also have to take into account each bot's personal tolerances and abilities. Like the Sr-71 Blackbird is a very fast plane, but when you take into account ROTF jetfire's age and general state of dis-repair, I have a hard time believing he could hold that speed for any large amount of time.

That is a very good point. I hadn't thought of that. That would actually be pretty awesome to see in the live action movies. That makes me think of the missiles themselves. Is it possible the missiles are a cybertronian weapons, disguised as earth missiles as to be compatible with the altmode?

As Side note, I really need to read AHM. I've been out of the comic scene for a while now. The last Tf comic I read was Megatron Origins. That was a while ago.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    While a TF can probably outperform an identical Earth vehicle by virtue of Cybertronian tech and materials (not to mention 'being' the vehicle as opposed to driving/piloting it.) There would have to be limits, assuming a TF's vehicle mode has the same basic mass, shape, and/or aerodynamic properties as the vehicle it copies.

I like the bio of ROTF Divebomb, who took the alt mode of his 'hero' Ransack (WWI Biplane), and is not doing so great because of it.

13. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

i say that the altmodes doesnt influence the transformer, lets say you are a cybertronian car, you can drive faster than a Bugatti, if you choose and old crappy car from the 30's or 40's as disguise, now you are still a ybertronian car, just the hull resembles the old car.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Indeed. I can take an engine out of a shitty car and stick it in a sports car. Doesn't make it perform like a sports car though.

This thread instantly made me think of the G1 Marvel story where Skids outperformed a sports car (can't remember which kind). In fact he was driving up walls and along the side of fences. Of course that does sound rather outlandish.
    But then while I'm writing this I just remembered the RID Spychangers driving all over, up and along the underside of various buildings and stuff.

I think realistically a TF will be limited by their Earthen alt mode when it comes to aerodynamics and design, while a Cybertronian alt mode doesn't have to stick to the constraints of the disguise design. An extra fin or vent or differently-shaped wing would help flight but if it's not part of the disguise then it can't be used. Same for ground-based disguises. I suppose it depends if a TF wants to blow their cover and grow those extra bits while up against a human opponent. Or even a Cybertronian one.

Internally though all manner of stuff can improve on the normal performance of that alt. Cybertronian engine technology will probably give the alt far better performance than a real human vehicle of the same design. Sophisticated computer-aided adjustments to aid suspension (beyond what human versions of such can do) and perhaps even subtle manipulation of the vehicle bodywork shape to aid/improve aerodynamics.
    And of course a TF can self-repair their alt mode while a human vehicle cannot.

I think that if you took two TFs with the exact same body stats (let's say clones of each other) and then one took on a Cybertronian vehicle and one an Earth vehicle of the same type, the Cybertronian vehicle will win every time.

15. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

yeah, i can imagin that even if transformer scans an earth vehicle the like a lamborghini he canÄt perform well in offroad, but maybe he can change the tyre profile and raise the car, then he is an offroad vehicle. or adding extra weaponary, parts to improve himself, similar to the wreckers in Tf3. i can also imagine that cybertronians have better reacion that humans, thus are capable of driving much better than humans can, i can imagine a transformer driving on the upside of a tunnel wall at high speed, like in Men in Black. in that scene you see that the cars change the shape to be more aerodynamic and increase the surface pressure

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016