does a homage figure have to be in classics/generations to count as a homage TF toy??

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigermegatron, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

does a homage figure have to be in classics/generations/universe to count as a updated homage new mold TF toy??

I keep reading threads that imply that updated homages from Rid/AEC/Animated/movie verse count less & don't count as "TRUE Updated homage" TF toys. because there in a different universe & use different design styling than classics/generations.

Do certain TF fans not consider all the updated homage character toys put in RID/AEC/Animated/movie verse as counting towards the updated homage new molds TF toys.

do certain TF fans not view their TF collections/toys as part of a whole. instead feel the need to seperate them into yearly toy lines. examples when a TFA Arcee/Rotf 2010 Brawn comes out isn't that considered as a updated homage new mold toy that counts towards the 26 years worth of TF toys. do ceratain TF fans say well that's nice it's a updated "animated" arcee/rotf brawn homage toy but it doesn't count as adding towards the updated homage new mold list because it doesn't share the designs,package/label/fiction of the classics/generations TF toys. Is the need still there in high fan passion to want hasbro/takara to create a homage new mold in generations when clearly the characters got a updatted homage new mold in previous TF toy lines??

Does generations/classics really need to repeat all the updated homages created in Rid/AEC/Animated/movie verse. in order to count as a "true" updated homages?

Examples:

does Transformers animated arcee count less as a updated homage mold because she's not in the classics/universe/generations toy lines?

Does ROTF 2010 Deluxe sized brawn not count at all towards the updated homage new mold TF toys? Because the toy wasn't packaged & labeled under the generations banner/package?

do we honestly need updated homages that were in AEC,Animated & the movie verse repeated with newer designs/molds in the Generations/universe/classics toy lines to count as solid updated homages towards the official count?

Granted I can understand the need to repeat a updated homage new mold that wasn't done well the first time around. but cancelling it out totally just seems a bit drastic behavior.

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They are what they are to the people who they are what they are to. :) 

Using the Animated toy example, almost every Animated toy is an "homage" to some namesake (with a few exceptions), but few people would probably count them as a "remakes" or "updates" that go with the classics/universe/generations/CHUG stuff, which is what I assume you're REALLY talking about when you say "homage".

I'd assume it's a case-by-case basis for most people, as well as for Hasbro.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  3. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No they are still Homages

BUT

For me in order to fit in with classics its all about the aeshthetics of a figure so animated and rid are way off for the most part however unicron tilogy figures fit in quite niceley speciffically downshift, the combiners and shockblast

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I would say there's a difference between an "homage" and an "update." Energon Downshift is an homage to G1 Wheeljack, but clearly not the same character. Not only does he exist in a different continuity with a different name, but he has none of the wacky engineer aspects of Wheeljack (actually, since he's from Energon, he has roughly no characterization at all, and is frequently confused with Cliffjumper :)  )

On the other hand, Classics Starscream is obviously G1 Starscream, just with a new toy. If you get into the whole "universal streams, dimension hopping" fiction, then sometimes an homage or a name re-use is intended to be the same character, like RiD Axer is G1 Axer (despite not looking alike at all), and Armada Sideways is, supposedly, every other Sideways.

5. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

No

6. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, but typically they would end up being in the CHUG line anyhow. Movie figures have a far different aesthetic and no matter how close they look to a G1 character, its really hard to get them to blend in well. The upcoming Jazz and Tracks figures I believe are not in the Generations line, but another subline, but will fit in perfectly with CHUG.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's going to vary from fan to fan. Some fans happily put Seaspray into their Classics collection even though he came in movie packaging. Other fans refuse to put Seaspray into their Classics collection because there is something about the figure that makes them say it's not Classics style enough.

Some are bit easier though. Slapping G1 colors on a movie figure doesn't make it a G1 character even though the colors are a nod to the past.

With Hasbro's love of hybrid figures though it's only going to get harder to figure out where figures are going to fit. Lockdown showed that even the Animated and movie styles could be combined so there doesn't seem to be anything that can't be combined.

8. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

I think Nemesis Springer hit this one out of the park. I also would like to add that this whole repurpose thing is only an issue for CHUG. For instance, nobody would stick Animated Starscream in their BT/Alt collection and say "Finally got him in". Just wouldn't happen. But for some reason there are people who think that CHUG is ambiguous enough that any aesthetic can fit in its confines. I'm not one of those, however, and see a definite design difference between Energon, Animated, and Movieverse figs and the CHUG line that everyone tells me to use the homages from other lines for. Honestly Energon Arcee and her plethora of repaints are about the only Energon release that fit the bill, NONE of the Animated do, only CHUG repaints IN the movie line count, and most of the original Cybertron molds, for some odd reason.

9. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

This.

10. Abrogate

News Credits:
    I feel like the movie toys that weren't designed specifically to be -in- the movie can fit in, in some cases. I'm not talking about Bludgeon and Seaspray (since evidence suggests they were designed outside of the movie line to begin with), but guys like Hoist. While he may not be a dead-ringer for G1 aesthetic, I think he does a damn good job of being Hoist, and I put him on a shelf next to a bunch of Energon guys that sorta look like Classics.

11. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I disagree with RID being way off. Most of the characters in that series are redecos of G1/G2 figures.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I take it all on a figure by figure basis. I have an Energon Downshift standing in for Wheeljack right now, for example. Some are just more tolerant of little things like being a slightly different aesthetic I guess. That's fine though - I don't expect everyone to share an opinion on what fits and what does not :) 

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no, they don't need to be in the line to be a homage, most of animated had some sort of homage to the originals, but they don't fit with classics, like some others, i have an energon downshift standing in for wheeljack, and bludgeon, mindwipe, and a couple others that make nice updates to themselves. movie crankcase is a perfect update to the triggercon, wish it was remolded to just be a button like the original, but what can you do?

14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

No, otherwise that would mean every single Optimus Prime figure that wasn't G1 or Classics did not homage Optimus' original look, even with Energon Prime essentially following the exact same transformation of the cab. Or, more specifically, Energon Prowl homaging every single earlier version of Prowl at once (although I don't know where the F1 Racer alt. mode comes from). It's all personal opinion.

15. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Yeah, I use RiD Prime and Rail Racer in my G1-fanverse. Rail Racer as a new character, and Prime as part of the Convoy Council.

16. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

RID Prime is my favorite version of Prime and I freaking love Rail Racer. I'm dying for a retro style take on him.

Sideburn can easily fit in with G1, but his brothers would need name changes. You could just use their Japanese names: X-Brawn = Wildride and Prowl = Mach Alert.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    No but i like to put the homage in for that continuity. I mean I wouldn't put certain figures (Mostly Animated) in the CHUG line due to different design astectics. Unless you want to count them as "Transtech" based.

18. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I honestly think that CR/Rid did one of the best updated homages molds for Ultra magnus. in the form of that super/leader sized mold. the size of the figure was dead on right. the alt mode was right. the robot mode looked like ultra magnus.

While titanium 6 inch ultra magnus nailed the G-1 design a bit better. at 5.8 inches tall it's way to small in both modes.

i'm not really a fan of classics 1.0 ultra magnus. as neither optimus nor magnus have the same truck cab or bot mode designs compared to G-1. i HONESTLY don't like the trailer/armor. as it looks nothing like the trailer from G-1. The armor looks nothing like the G-1 armor.

19. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Not at all. A couple of animated figures work for me, like Ultra Magnus and Rodimus.

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I would say in other lines they are just homages, but in CHUG I would call them proper updates that are more than just homages, but replacements! Not in every case, as I don't like some of the new incarnations, but mostly I would put it that way.