Dodge Journey...comments and opinions pls!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlitzFire, Oct 9, 2010.

1. BlitzFire

BlitzFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey there everyone,

I find myself in need of a slightly bigger vehicle. My small family is going to be growing with the arrival of baby number 3 in april.

I have been looknig around at different vehicles and prices and well, to be honest I am not rich lol.

I stumbled across the Dodge Journey and it has caught my eye. I have been reading reviews and pricing out with different options.

It's a 6 seater which should be fine for us as we are not looking at getting something as big as a mini van or full size SUV.

Luxuries and leather seats and dual climate controle zones are not important to me. I just need something that is comfortable to sit in (a hard to pin point topic as comfort varies from ppl to ppl) and that will provide a moderate amount of room for young children.

Anybody have one? Or have driven one? Thoughts? Opinions? Pros and cons?

Thanks!

2. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dodge Minivan. Extremely comfortable if you get a 2008 or 2007 version with the Stow and Go and the DVD Player in the back. Don't get the latest model as the front is quite hideous and the leg room is horrible. I can't say enough about how reliable it is.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    As someone who knows the in's and out's of the car market, I'm just gonna throw out some points.

1) Do you need to buy new? It's not that hard to find a car that's a year or two old (08's and 09's) for a significant savings (20-30%... And thus more car for the same money) with under 10-20k miles (with factory warranty).
    2) I would avoid Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep like the plague. Granted, they have improved significantly in recent years, but it's still Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep.
    3) Journey seats 6... So that's 2 benches? Or 3 rows of 2 buckets? The point here has less to do with how the seats are arranged and more to do with "And this is how much space there is for things that aren't people". Assuming benches, the back bench needs to be large enough to fit all 3 kids (and I'm assuming at least 1 car seat) comfortably for an extended period of time. Even if the bench is made of bricks, just make sure there's enough butt room... I'd go with using actual adults for that test. On that same note, look into the car seat anchors and how much of a pain in the ass they are to deal with.

Personally, I'm gonna tell you that with a family of 5, the extra seats and space in a minivan are -fantastic-. Granted, I grew up in a family of 4, but there were plenty of times we didn't have room for everyone in our minivan. A base-model Toyota Sienna will set you back a few grand more than a base-model Journey, but for what you're getting, the extra few grand is worth it.

4. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    too small go for a Caravan

I managed to stuff myself in one and it's predecessor (chrysler pacifica) A while back I recommend not putting adults in the third row unless they are no higher than 5 foot five.

other than that it's an extremely nice car.

I would also like to recommend a Ford Taurus X as if you can find a new one it'll be marked down cheap.

5. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I'm gonna agree with this point.

My dad has driven Dodge/Chrysler company cars for the past 10 years and every one of them has needed major work after 50k miles.(Transmissions,engine work,etc.)Caravans and Town and countries mostly.

6. BlitzFire

News Credits:
    hot damn...its a good thing I 5'5", my gf is 5'4"...children are well...short lol
    and that my dad is 5'5" and my mother is 5'3" LMAO

what can I say...I come from a short family lol

7. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe that's any new car nowadays....i'm sorry but it's true

note there are a few more alternatives...sportier as well

Such as the Mazda 5

Toyota Highlander

Ford Flex,TaurusX,2011 Explorer (note they are structurally the same vehicle)

2012 Ford Focus C-max (think mazda 5) out next year

.....there are more but I can't come up with them right now

But you know there is the used option...I could go crazy with that

If you go used I recommend a 2000-2005 Honda Odyssey Excellent in every category and I'm pretty sure you can find one in a good price.

The early 2005-8 Chrysler/Dodge minivans ohhh yeeah!!!!

a Ford Freestyle it's a bit meh but I heard it get's the job done

a 2003-2006 Ford Explorer Highly recommended Ford trucks will last a lifetime if cared for. and it's safer than the 2nd gen explorers

1999-2003 Ford Windstar...........meh..meh

1985-1997 Ford Aerostar...hehehehehehehe I grew up in this tough thing never backed down till the Tranny went out in 2005...with 350,000 miles

but I managed to fit in all three rows with my 5 foot 11 self in all vehicles in the used area mentioned with room to spare.

8. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:

Maybe American but not import.

I have a 99 Nissan Frontier with 130k that has never needed any major work done

Mom has a 05 Toyota 4Runner with 150k and the biggest repair was a cat converter.

My point was that Dodge has a crappy history with vans and SUV's

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I bought a 2010 Toyota Highlander SE 4WD and love it.

Took advantage of Toyota's 0% down, 0% APR for 60 months deal back in April.

10. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

If you are not concerned about having a new car and money is an issue then buying used is your best option. Buying a "new" car is arguably the worst purchase anyone can make. All brands of cars have their issues, so don't get drawn into the "foreign is better than domestic" debate. That may have been true 20 years, or even 15 years ago but now they really are on par with each other.
    Simple fact is to do you own research and take some vehicles for test drives to find out what fits you best. Everyone has an opinion on what they consider a great car or a great car company. I personally will never own another Ford product, as a Taurus I used to drive was a total piece of shit. But others swear by the Ford brand. Personally I'm a GM/Chevy fanatic...

11. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will have to argue with the Taurus is crap part......ok yes it's tinny but in a pinch it gets the job done.

I've been in an accident in one and all we lost was the rear bumper

As a Gm/ford Fanatic I'm partial to both having had experience with the two but the Ford's overall had better quality and lasted longer.

yes the may ford look like crap feel like crap and drive like it...but unlike the chevy we used to have..The Taurus is 16 years old and still runs

Gm and fords have their strong points but overall my family has had better luck with the Fords.

It's all a matter of choice.

12. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My dad used to know somebody who bought 30 Dodge Caravans to use for his business. Transmissions went out in 11 of those vans.

The guy told my dad that he will never again to buy a Chrysler product.

13. BlitzFire

News Credits:
    so did I!! lol...my parents bought one in 1989 (if i remember correctly...I would only have been 6 at the time) and we kept it for 11 years until we got posted to another town (military).

The thing that bugs me about buying used....you don't know how the previous owner treated it...or how well the maintenance was kept up with. Even buying used at a dealership, you just do't know. Point in fact, my frist car was a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT (yes i know there pieces of crap) I bought it used with 36 000kms on it. Transmission replaced at 70 000kms and engine replaced at 136 000Kms. Car was in mint condition when I bought it. Bough it used (obvously) and from a dealership. Wouldn't replace the transmission because I was 15 days over the one year warranty thath came with it either.

Buying new...at lesat you know youre the orignal owner and you get 4-5 years of warranty usually