Doctor Who's year off

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RabidYak, Sep 3, 2007.

1. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Well, almost -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2007/09/03/48471.shtml

In Summary -

- 2008 crimbo special
    - No series in 2009, but 3 one-off specials to fill the gap
    - back in 2010, but with no guarantee of Tennant

Insert anger here, especially if Davies ends up writing all the 2009 shows himself. It'll be worth it if Tennant ends up doing series 5 thougth, I can't imagine his eventual replacement being as entertaining as he is.

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I saw the thingermabober about Kylie Minogue being in one of the episodes...Christmas episode, I think?

PS: David Tennant as the doctor is super neato bageeto and makes me want to watch more Docka Who.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    If it means getting to keep Tennant around for a year or two more, I can put up with it. It's very cool that they're willing to work around his schedule.

I will be really annoyed when Davies ends up writing all three of the '09 specials, though (because we all know he'll insist on it). He can occasionally put out something decent, but he's far from the best writer they have working on the new series. At least let Steven Moffat write one of them.

4. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

wasn't season 4 supposed to be russel t. human daleks last season, and then steven moffat(gas mask people 'are you my mummeeeeee' FTW) take over from there on?

also, i need to activate that hypnochip now, if the damn thing hasn't fallen off his head again

5. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

WHAHAT?

Man, that makes me kinda sad. kinda.

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

At least its coming back, I never liked Doctor Who growing up (I thought it was some piece of shit LPB brit show they choose to broadcast), but the new series has finally mad me appreciate the excellence of the concept. And Tennant is absolutely brilliant so I hope he returns for the fifth season also.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    After suffering a season with Catherine Fucking Tate in it, I doubt I'll even WANT to watch Doctor Who for a year, at the least.

8. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I certainly hope Tennant is coming back if they're taking a year off.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm halfway through his first season, and I'm loving it as much as the Ninth Doctor's run, although I kinda preferred Eccleston.

Waiting for the third season to be Netflixable, probably gonna catch up on old Dalek and Cybermen serials to kill the time.

10. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope they get Tennant back for Series Five. He's been phenomenal as the Doctor. I loved Eccleston, but Tennant pulls off both the child-like fascination AND angry-as-hell bits of the Doctor better.

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Tennant is the best Doctor I can remember (no fond Baker memories for me I'm afraid) but he shouts too much.

As to a year in hiatus... eh. I lived without it for over a decade when it ended back in what? '89? I can do so again. Its all relative anyway, what with all this time travel and stuff.

12. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is sort of a bummer. I wonder what the actual reason is for Doctor Who taking off a year. Did they just run out of ideas and need time to come up with something else? Still, I have November to look forward to for the supposed return of Peter Davison's Doctor.

13. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

You have your instructions.

14. Nemesis Prime

Nemesis Prime Battle Commander

Hmm I wonder if one of the specials will be a multi-Doctor story.

15. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    If they keep Tennant in it, I'm willing to wait.

16. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

At least were promiesed a show through 2010 if you think about it. And given that I've read Tennant is doing hamlet at the RSC the timing of the whole thing makes sense. And I belive it was mentioned tennant is coming back for the specials and the season so we have a doc through that much.

I think the whole idea is fine, I read a lot of places people bitching about why bother keeping Tennant when the show is made for cast changes, but if you got an actor who is doing as well as he is on the show your insane to not keep him for as long as you can

17. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Tennant is playing Hamlet for much of 2008, so it's either regenerate Tennant and have a full fifth season in '09 with the 11th Doctor or keep the 10th around for another year. Personally, I think they made the right call. I'm not ready to see Tennant leave the show yet.

18. Nemesis Prime

Nemesis Prime Battle Commander

Plus you have the fact that the Doctor only has 3 more regenerations left. Unless they pull a sneaky way to give him an extra regeneration or two. So it's basically their idea to keep the show going for an x-amount of time.

19. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They should've had that mentality going on in the first season before the hired a Doctor who would stay for one season, which went superbly well with having a Doctor right before that which only lasted for a movie.
    Basically, season 1 killed off 2 of the Doctor's lives in it's own. The 8th Doctor was killed off for a new Doctor who would only regenerate again by the end of the same season he was introduced.

20. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I agree it was kind of stupid to have the doc regenerate at the end, I wonder if they ever did approach Mcgann for the series. He does pretty good in the audios and he's said he'd comeback if he didn't have to wear a wig