Doctor Who X-mas special.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrGrim, Dec 26, 2006.

1. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Did anyone else catch The Runaway Bride?
    Definitely not the best piece of Doctor Who in existence. But then, it's not the worst either. I was a little more excited by the season 3 trailer at the end more than anything else.

2. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

Do you mean the season 2 finale scifi played on Friday? I didn't know that was a christmas special.

3. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Only bit I really liked was how dark the Doctors going, ties in very well with the trial of the time lord story.

4. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

No, he means the Doctor Who Christmas special called the Runaway Bride, which season 2's finale lead into.

I found it to be pretty good, and I loved how dark the Doctor got near the end. Next season looks great (love the very end of it), but the preview could have used a bit of Captain Jack.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    There were a few decent lines about the Doctor's past, Tennant was superb as ever, but frankly everything else about it was terrible.

6. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Season 2 just ended in the US on Scifi, but ended last July in the UK. The UK just had a X-mas special that followed up on that, which has not been brought over to the US yet.

The UK are further ahead in Doctor Who television than the US.

7. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Double post.

8. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I liked it, when i saw stuff on it I thought it was gonna go and be like a wonderful life with the bride not wanting to get married then having a revelation and wanting to be married making everything all happy.

Instead we get something else, I really enjoyed the way the doctor was acting when he was killing the queen. He looked to be almost enjoying it, reminded me a lot of the seventh doctor. And I think had the bride not seen that she may have joined him instead of declining.
    It was better then I was expecting it to be now it just makes the wait fir the next series more difficult.

Also is anyone else following torchwood? I stopped watching after the cyberwoman episode and was curious if it got better

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Enjoyed it quite a bit. The bride was rather annoying, but the stuff at the end with the Rachnoss Empress was pretty solid. The bit at the creation of the Earth was good. As with the last Christmas special, Tennant stole the show. He's rapidly become one of my favorite Doctors (and I have seen all ten in action), and I love both his manic energy and the darker core underneath it (I agree with Edge about that aspect of Tennant reminding me a lot of Sylvestor McCoy). Seeing him standing there while the Rachnoss children drowned was really powerful. It called to mind that scene from School Reunion; the whole "I used to be full of mercy" speech.

So all in all, I found it pretty decent. The show is definitely different without Rose, but it will clearly be able to go on without her. It's going to be a long wait for the new season.

10. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Eh, it was ok. Just give me season 3 already.

11. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Thats about it as far as I am concerned.

I was hoping that they were going to give the Daleks a rest next year, but the black commander from the end of the last series showing up in the trailer probably means that at least he is going to be back.

No.

12. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I carried on watching Torchwood, its Meh.

Also, the Runaway Bride is one of the worst episodes ever, except maybe 'Love and Monsters', It seemed like it had been written to put much more focus on Catherine Tate than David Tennant. Im not a Tate fan anyway.
    Season 3 trailer was the only redeeming bit.

Black Dalek commander FTW!

13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

14. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Glad they finally got around to naming Gallifrey

15. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    The episodes of Torchwood written by Chris Chibnall have all felt below par to me. The opening episode was fine and I've enjoyed episodes 7-10.

Runaway Bride was an enjoyable enough romp. It's not Shakespeare by any stretch of the imagination, but it's closer than most other things on TV at Christmas.

The opening Catherine Tate-heavy ten minutes nearly killed me, though. I haven't seen her in anything else, does the woman actually have any range at all?

16. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    That was fun. I miss Rose. Now gimme series 3 :D 

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    No. She plays the same character, in a variety of pisspoor costumes, in her own show too (which is about as funny as having your nuts pulled off with a pair of pliers). Avoid.

18. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Saw it and found the bride extremely annoying with her shrill voice.

Tennant on the other hand seem to go very dark without Rose to pull him in, and I liked how it was commented on.

Not one of the best episodes, but not one of the worst (Love and Monsters and Fear Her are tired for that place)

19. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I disagree, I thought New Earth was probably the worst episode of new Doctor Who ever, even more than Love and Monsters. Love and Monsters didn't so well because they were trying a different angle. New Earth was supposed to be a full-on episode of Doctor Who, as the first episode of the season, and it was horrible. I also hated Boom Town.

Torchwood can have decent moments, but more often than not I find myself turning my head in disgust at something. The finale has me slightly interested though.

Anyone going to watch the Sarah Jane Adventures?

20. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Odd I LOVE Torrchwood, as does Bicat, and there hasn't been a bad episode of Doctor Who these past two seasons as far I was concerned.