Doctor Who Re-Animated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wolfnfox, Jun 21, 2006.

1. wolfnfox

wolfnfox Well-Known Member

BBC has just announced that the will be releasing the Doctor Who serial "The Invasion" starring Patrick Troughton in the near future on DVD.

The intial problem with distributing the Black and White adventure is that two of the eight episodes are currently missing from the BBC archives (an unfortunate fate for many episode of the early era, especially for adventures in Patrick Troughton's time).

However the BBC has now commisioned Corsgove hall to animate these two episodes using the surviving audio tracks to complete the serial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2006/06/20/33077.shtml

The studio recent work with Doctor Who was with the online animated adventure "The Scream of the Shalka" for the 40th anniversary and the studio has said that they have a vastly improved there animation abilities and will result and a faithful interpretation of the missing episodes.

There is even a 30 second teaser trailer on the site.

If this works and the DVD sells well they could be commisioned to animate other missing adventures since the audio for almost all missing episodes still exists as well as off studio stills and video clips for comparison and accuracy.

2. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

That would be awsome. That animation matches quite nicely. I still can't believe they tossed out all the stuff. I hope it still haunts who ordered the deed if they're still breathing.

3. wolfnfox

wolfnfox Well-Known Member

Actually it was quite common place back then, Since shows were never repeated many tapes were erased so the film could be re-used to save money.

I believe there are about 108 episodes missing from the archive right now.

4. Drake

I didn't think they did it until the 70s. They ran out of storage room or some bs.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Well, not every missing episode was taped over or thrown away. Some just got lended out and never returned. If I remember correctly, the reason we don't have episode four of The Tenth Planet is because it was loaned to Blue Peter and they lost it. All that remains is the audio and a crappy film clip of the Doctor regenerating.

As for this project, I'm all behind it. The preview looks awesome and this is a great oppurtunity to restore a lot of the incomplete adventures. I've seen the remaining bits of The Invasion from the VHS release with bridging narration, but actually getting to watch the entire storyline will be amazing. Hopefully some of the other stories, like The Tenth Planet or The Ice Warriors, can be restored similarly.

6. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

Thats a pretty kick ass idea there doing and it looks like its being executed pretty nicely. Though there is a bit of an aha vibe comming from it. But it fits the show well.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Impressive! If this works, I hope the next would be The Tenth Planet or even, The Dalek's Master Plan. Though the latter would be a struggle.

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Roxxor, even better that they've picked some Trout to try it on since his era is so woefully lacking in complete stories.

Hopefully it'll do well enougth to justify more, i'd be interested to see if they have a go at doing something with no existing footage at some point in the future.

9. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I'd love to see all the missing episodes animated. I remember fan speculations about could this be done as far back as the late 90s when there were rumors of a proposed 8th doctor cartoon, but many thought the cost of re-animating the missing episodes would be too high. I'm glad to see this may be proven wrong.

10. Drake

An 8th Doctor cartoon would still be cool. I've been reading some of the 8th Doctor books. Good stuff.

11. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't believe this wasn't done a long time ago.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I will So buy this. I haven't seen The Invasion (or what's left of it, at least) in years, since an old friend of mine has it on VHS somewhere.

13. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

Very sweet, I've got a few of the audio tapes of the missing episodes, would be great to see them on screen.

14. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm excited for this. They should animate all the missing stories. Next they should do the regeneration stories from the 1st to 2nd with Tenth Planet and the Dalek story that followed.
    It'd be cool if they also animated some Big Finish stuff. Especially 8th Doctor stories, since all he got was a movie and the Shada webcast. Or they could just make brand new stories to give the 8th Doctor. He needs more visual stuff. I hope this animated Doctor Who stuff picks up and goes far.

15. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'd give damn near anything for a regeneration scene from McGann to Eccleston. Even if it is only a cartoon.

16. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That'd be neato.

17. SpeedBreaker

SpeedBreaker DESTRON NEW LEADER

Very interesting.