Doctor Who 8/7/06: Doomsday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deathsheadx, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't forget Susan. Last we saw her, she was still on Earth.

Haven't seen this one yet (about 45 minutes left on the torrent), but I'm really looking forward to it. Sounds like my guess on Rose's fate was spot on. I'm going to miss the show when it's between series, but it's only five months until the next Christmas special.

As far as the next series goes, I want the Ice Warriors back. One of my favorite enemies from the Troughton and Pertwee eras, and I've missed them horribly. The Sontarans, who more or less took the Ice Warriors' place, never really did much for me.

And, while I don't want episodes like School Reunion featuring old companions to become a yearly staple (it'd get old), I would love to see the Brigadier again.

2. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    She became president in the Big Finish audios with Paul McGann too. And has there been anything in this series which has said for a 100% fact that Romana didn't become president?

3. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Finished downloading, watched it, loved it. It's going to be a long wait for December.

I was actually a bit disappointed at how easily the Daleks kicked the Cybermen's butts. Still, we are dealing with the new Cybermen here, not the originals. I assume the classics would have put up an actual fight. Even if it was horribly one-sided, it was great fun watching the Cybermen and the Daleks at war with each other.

Loved Pete's last minute catch at the end. This actually did come off as one of the saddest companion departures in the show's history. I'm going to miss Rose, but at least she took her family with her when she left.

Well, here's looking forward to Torchwood in October.

4. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My favourite aspect was the Dalek's knowing they were Cybermen and calling them "crude cybermen!" which bodes well for Cybermen from Mondas in the future..

I want more !

5. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I loved it when the Dalek said "This isn't war, this is pest control." :lol 

Wonder who the Runaway Bride is and how she got in the Tardis at the end? That was rather strange.

6. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Actually most people seem to forget that the 7th Doctor wiped out the Mondan style Cybermen in Silver Nemesis.

7. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Yeah, but how many times has he wiped out the Daleks now?

8. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought it was a very good ending to the series.

The Cybermen vs Dalek was handled well. Though I loved how the Cybermen out numbered the Daleks, but the Daleks had the advantage in forepower/shelids, and then when they saw the Doctor they panicked.

Everything I had read online before the finalle, led me to believe that Rose was going to die, and I found it very sneaky how they did it.

I did think when you saw her falling towards the void that she would end up there, and be trapped, only to be set free later on. But to have her end up in the alternative Earth with her family was well done.

It was good that the Doctor and Rose had a little goodbye at the end, only for him to be cut off before he was finished (though you just know that she knew)

I had read that this year was to end on a cliffhanger, and right up until the bride appeard I though that it was wrong.

The Doctors expression at the end was priceless.

Overall, it was a good episode.

9. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Just watched it, absolutely loved it!

Cyberman: Our species are similar, though your design is in-elegant.
    Dalek: Darleks have no concept of elegance.
    Cyberman: This is, obvious.

I nearly fell off my chair laughing at that one!...

10. The Librarian

The Librarian Well-Known Member

Telosian, actually. The Mondans technically went extinct in Tenth Planet.

Kind of. Possibly. Maybe.

Oh, they'll all be out there somewhere. Tombs everywhere. Hiding in sewers. Drifting in space.

And contrary to popular belief, it was only Davros' Daleks that got wiped out in Remeberance. Unless you think that both grey and white Daleks were living on the same planet...

Neither side ever commits their entire force to something.

Why am I rambling on like this? No reason. Just that we all know they'll be back.

Hey, I'm filling in time 'till the Ice Warriors hiss their way back onto the small screen here! :D 

11. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    Cyberman timeline gets screwy, because some left Mondas before it encountered Earth (all Mondasians died when Mondas disintergrated in Earth orbit in 1986). Not only that, but Cybermen had made at least one invasion of Earth earlier, around 1969 (or later, depending on the dating of the Pertwee stories, which was either concurrent with the years the episodes were made in, or set in 1980 - later dating contradicts the 1980 date, but earlier should have precedence... I go with the year of transmission, so the early 1970s). Here, the Cybermen teamed up with International Electromatics (to perhaps pave the way for Mondas' return) but were defeated.

Chronologically, the Cybermen's next appearance was in 1985, where they were attempting to divert Halley's Comet and destroy the Earth, which would in turn prevent the destruction of Mondas (although Mondas had apparently required "recharging" from Earth - so go figure) a year later... these Cybermen were from the future, though, possibly sometime after the Cybermen had made their gambit in Earthshock (26th century) and apparently failed in the ensuing round of Cyber wars...

Needless to say, 1986 saw the destruction of Mondas.

1988 saw the Cybermen, future versions, attempting to gain control of the last known quanity of Vallidium, a living metal able to take on variable properties. The Doctor reprograms the Nemesis statue to destroy the Cyber fleet in orbit of the Earth - possibly remnants of the Cybermen left on Earth after their 1985 attack, but there are an awful lot of them... and they're exceedingly well equipped.

The Cybermen then turned up in the early 21st century (commonly accepted date, although dating has suggested sometime after The Moonbase, which was 2070), invading Station W3 as a means to invading Earth.

They turned up next in Moonbase, attempting to take the Gravitron to control Earth's weather. The Cybermen were lifted from the surface of the moon by the Gravitron and... well... were last seen flying around. I guess some had to be in their flying saucers, though, and the Co-Ordinator in Invasion did state that the Doctor was known to them from Planet 14, so it's possible that these Cybermen, and those who fled to Telos, had been based on a small planet on the outskirts of the solar system, moving there from Mondas on its way out of the system millions of years ago.

Regardless, following that, the Cybermen died out in the solar system, but the Parry Expedition in the 25th century awakened them on tombs on Telos. They were returned to stasis, but may have had an automatic timer activated. Regardless, they were seen in more advanced forms aound 100 years later, when they attempted to seize a freighter to invade Earth (Earthshock). Most of the Cybermen survived this attack - they evacuated the freighter before it timewarped back into the Cretaceous period - but apparently set off another round of wars. Some time around this era, the Telosian Cybermen captured a timeship, and sent a mission back to 1985 to destroy the Earth...

In addition, around this time, 3 squads of troops went missing, stolen via Timescoop for use in the Death Zone.

In the 29th century, the Cybermen were reduced to "one" ship, sculking around Nerva Beacon waiting for the destruction of Voga, the fabled planet of gold that had been the major cause for their near destruction in the last round of Cyber wars. Interestingly enough, the head of one of these Cybermen appeared in the Geocomtex facility in the early 21st century - so possibly they had some ability with time travel as well or they were also involved with the Time War... who knows?

The Daleks are another thing altogether. Remembrance is a good example of no one agreeing on what happened at the end. Davros destroyed Skaro, but there's suggestion it may not be the original Skaro, or perhaps it was but the Daleks had relocated previously to another world they called Skaro, for the simple fact there seems to be a Skaro in some very far-future Dalek serials... if you accept Davros became the Emperor from Evil of the Daleks, but then why would he have required the Doctor's help to upgrade the Daleks? He could have done that himself... The Imperial homeworld was wiped out, at least, but that likely wasn't all of the Imperials... the Renegades, by that time limited to beaten and battered groups after any means of power to continue to fight Davros (hence the race for the Hand of Omega) before they go back to their cheerful ways of racial cleansing (cue Dalek drinking song), and would definitely have survived.

I thought at the time that the Doctor was being overly dramatic about making the Daleks extinct, because that was only that one system he destroyed... presumably by that time, the Daleks had more than one system.

Which does bring up a bit of a point - the colour schemes and distinct lack of Davros would suggest these are the Renegade factions reunited under a Dalek Supreme, but maybe they're not - does anyone know for sure which faction these Daleks are?

12. The Librarian

The Librarian Well-Known Member

A neat sumation of 'Cybermen' by David Banks!

The way I've come to thing of it is that the Invasion was comprised of both 'Invasion' types and 'Revenge' types - with the Revenge types running the spaceships and the others being troopers. Revenge types might have acted as 'Cyberleaders' or something - direct links for the coordinators. This is pure suposition - helped along by the fact that Big Finish use Invasion types in roles probably more suited to Revenge style.

Of course, you've then got the 'Real Time' Cybermen somewhere in the extremely far future, the wired 'female' Cybermen that came out of nowhere in DWM 'The Flood', the infamous Kroton (Invasion type, just about)...

Isn't non-canon material fun? :D 

Still it does prove one thing, whatever you think about continuity...they will survive...

Depending on who you consider the 'Renegades' or course...

13. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    Well... Davros being the creator of the Daleks, as well as the Emperor, I don't think anyone has any problems referring to the cream and gold colours as Imperials. And they do refer to the original Dalek colours as renegade factions (seeing as they refuse to submit to Davros' will, because Davros has altered the Kaled-based mutant inside bionically and, well, the Daleks being all into racial purity and stuff...), so yeah. Original Daleks (those not reporting to Davros after his time at Tranquil Repose) = renegades.

And yeah, paraphrased from "Cybermen", as well as any episode guide book... the Cybermen are fairly straight forward in their history, it's the Daleks who have kinks and turns... the original Dalek serial took place some 20,000 years in the future, far beyond any other Dalek serial ;) 

Except of course for Bad Wolf and Parting of the Ways.

... I think... correct me if I'm wrong, sudden fit of bad memory :p 

14. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

I tend to think that 'The Daleks' centred around the last remnants of the Dalek/Thal empire. The absolute last of their kind. The Daleks that remained to run Skaro as their fleets went out into space.
    That said, the Doctor's actions in 'Remembrance' negated that story. Still, having already experinced the event as the first Doctor, he himself and those involved would still remember it. But, we won't go into the nitty gritty, it makes my brain hurt.
    Not a fan of Bad Wolf and Parting of the Ways. I really did not like them. Reality shows and Daleks, puh-leez, would have made more sense to just abduct people from Earth with a ship.

15. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Please don't bring up 3 year old threads. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.