Doctor Who 8/7/06: Doomsday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deathsheadx, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

watched it, didnt live up to the hype.

i guessed that rose would end up on pete's world but i wanted rose to die

there were good parts and bad parts,

question: isnt there cybermen still on earth? the ones who originated on this side of the breach and never passed through the void?

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Absolutely fucking fantastic. I thought the ending was actually the best bit, very well acted and very emotional, you know that they're union wasn't just any other companion, and that this division will affect them both massively.

The whole episode was filled with bits that got better and better, things you wanted to see, and then they gave it to you! I can't wait for the Christmas special... only 5 months to go eh?

Edit,
    No Cybermen (Cybus industries) originated on this side, they all came over at some point or another from Petes world.

Edit
    Oh I see, the Cybermen that were created this side of the void... were uh... easy pickings I guess from the tooled up British army I suppose.

3. deathsheadx

my problem is after the promise of army of ghosts the cybermen and the daleks actual battle was a non entity if it wasnt for things like the black dalek and hartman/cyberman i would of been p'ed.

4. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, I have to agree there, but the Beeb is only a wee little Organisation (relatively) and is constrained by a TV sized budget.

But yeah, the Cybermen was pwnd by the Daleks. An alliance? The Daleks should have started laughing hysterically and when the Cybermen got the message, high fived their suckers together.

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Cybermen and Daleks kicking arse was cool, all the bits inbetween not so. Decent conclusion to a decent first part and the ending was a helluva lot better then the lamefest from the previous series.

Notice Pete didn't give Rose a yellow button when he grabbed her at the end, despite it being said earlier that they only transport one person. Plus the thing mentioned above with newly made Cybermen, althougth they can't have made all that many unless they brought more equipment with them or had more advanced parties setting stuff up.

I should imagine that more Daleks are to come in the future since they made a point of showing the Supreme escaping.

6. deathsheadx

your wrong bout that: the cybermen started upgrading the torchwood people. it stands to reason that the torchwood people wouldnt be infused with void energy

7. The Librarian

The Librarian Well-Known Member

Pete Tyler had one disc round his neck, the other in his hand. I'm not sure how c lear it was on screen (have to rewatch) but on Doctor Who Confidential, they had a behind the scenes shot.

I assume that either the Torchwood-Cybermen were built from stock parts carried through the Void or they got left behind and presumably mopped up.

Anyway, down to brass tacks, absolutely brilliant! Everything worked and for once, I think I mean everything. The Genesis Ark being a prison ship, the secret inner council of imaginative Daleks, the tempory alliance between human and Cyberman (logical course of action and all that), the non-alliance between Daleks and Cybermen, the Cyberman invasion, the battles between them (I thought they were good, anyway), the way they were defeated, the ending...superb!

The only thing that would have made it better would have been the Cybermen marching past St Paul's again but that's just me thinking wishfully.

And there were so many nice touches as well: the quick replacing of the Cyberleader, the idea of Daleks with names, the bazooka still blowing up Cybermen...

Sheer brilliance, a fitting end to an excellent season. Roll on Christmas. And more and more seasons after that.

'Emergancy temporal shift' indeed!

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Awesome stuff. Everyone's covered my favourite scenes, and that was pretty much the whole episode. It's an extremely good conclusion to a series that's been pretty strong throughout.
    Loved the "Bad Wolf" reference at the end. The Dalek's whole perception of things too, "This is not a war. This is pest control!"

Definately think that the Cybermen built on our Earth are still about. Like the Black Dalek escaping, I think they're there to give writers a chance to bring them back at a later date. Maybe give them a rest next season altogether though and have a new villain, or villains, take centre stage.

At any rate, it'll be a long wait until Christmas for the special, and even longer for the new season. Thank goodness Torchwood is there to tide us over.

9. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah... whoops. I already edited my original post... I am stoopid.

10. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

Excellent ending to a great series.

I loved the whole 'Time Lord technology... bigger on the inside than on the outside...'. When the ark opened and there was a Dalek inside, I felt let down. Then it popped out, followed by another and another. Awesome idea. A prison ship of Daleks.

I'm still awed by the updates to the enemies these two series have brought. They are now bang up to date and still as cool as the day they first showed up.

And 'EXTERMINATE!' "Delete!" 'EXTERMINATE!' "Delete" had me smiling!

11. deathsheadx

[​IMG]

thats just funny why am i thinking about a certain diver

i'll tell you this doomsday made wish for an original cybermen/dalek battle i want to know if the originals were harder

12. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope next year has Sontarans...
    And maybe Gallifrey...

13. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

They could actually do a decent Rhutan VS Sontaran battle now...

Though Ice Warriors, Draconians and the Wyrrn would all be great.

14. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

"Request denied."

God, how I laughed when I heard that.

Anyway, good conclusion, with a story that was quite imaginative without being flaky. All the pap about Rose's family was expected, so it didn't spoil things too much. I continued to enjoy the old Who adversaries given new life, new menace, and a truly epic scope that was more infrequently achieved in previous seasons.

15. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This was an excellent episode. Easily one of the best ever for me. And as much as I didn't care for the Rose character, her departure was quiet moving. I got a little teary eyed and looked over at my fiancee to see if she'd noticed and she was gagging on tears.
    I was a little dissapointed that the big Cybermen/Dalek war was squished into about 25 minutes, and it seemed to steal the Cybermen's thunder having the Daleks steal the show in the "Cybermen's season". But I thought the chemistry between these factions was great, and wanted much more of it. I had hoped that they'd let the war thing bleed into the Christmas special for more time to elaborate it. But instead I guess we get a runaway bride?

16. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I definately am not having high hopes for 'The runaway Bride', mostly because I have an intense dislike for Catherine Tate.

On to Doomsday:
    Also, what really suck's, with about 20 minutes or so left of the final episode, a simple solution occurs that will wipe out the bad guys in about 30 seconds, they did it last season, they did it again this season.
    Last season had Rose turning everything to dust, this season had the portal sucking everything in.

Also, what was the deal with both Human and Cyberman rushing into the room with the Daleks in Gun's Blazing? Not that it didn't look amazing. And the Appearence of the Yvonne Cyberman shooting the others was cool.

Dalek's, I really liked their charecterisations in this series better than the last, where they were just mindless drones, I mean some of the lines like:
    Dalek - 'This is not war, this is pest control'

Dalek - 'You are only better than us in one way'
    Cyberman - 'What is that'
    Dalek - 'You are better at dying'

But all the way through, I hoped that the Cybermen would win, through sheer force of numbers, that and the cool blue ray guns they used to damage Dalek casing.

17. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

The Doctor is known for one swoop solutions to massive problems like this...

18. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

The rogue Cyberman towards the end made me think that perhaps those that remained on Earth may not all have been mentally altered, or all that much... then again, it could have just been (as was strongly suggested/implied) her intense adhering to her previous duties that was what broke the control.

As to the Cybermen, I did like the Dalek's comment on how they looked similar to "their" Cybermen... "Our" Cybermen would have a much stronger standing, I would guess, particularly the ones from Tom Baker onwards.

I also loved the black handles on the first Cyberleader, that was a nice touch that I didn't think the Cybus Cybermen would go for.

I'm hoping for other Time Lords, but the Doctor's comment about how he escaped the destruction of Gallifrey makes me think that apart perhaps from the Master (if he ever escaped the TARDIS' *cough* Eye of Harmony *cough*) and perhaps the Rani could still be out there... Romana, yeah, if she's still off saving E-space with the Tharils, and maybe the Meddling Monk, but I think the others would all be gone. I could be wrong, though (god, I hope so... would be an interesting story, and I can't see the CIA standing by and letting Gallifrey being destroyed and them not having some kind of contingency plan - although that was probably, as always, the Doctor ;)  ). I did read a rumour that the Ice Warriors were in early series 29, will have to wait and see.

I realise it's television budget and all, but the only thing that really stood out for me in the episode as a glaring error were some of the Cybermen when killed in long shot - they crumpled far too fast for something falling to the ground. It looked too jarring.

19. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Now that was a great episode. Best line ever was when the Dalek Supreme said "You are only superior in one respect."
    "What is that ?"
    "You are better at dying."

Great to see the Dalek Supreme run away at the end. At least we'll know he'll be back at some point. Wonder where he went though.. and how many Dalek's he'll bring back with him.

As for there being more Time Lords, you've got to remember in one of the earlier episodes this season the Doctor got a message saying "You're not alone.". Could there be another Time Lord ? I certainly hope another managed to get away, considering the Dalek/Time Lord survival ratio (what are we at ? 6 Daleks to 1 Time Lord ?).

That bit at the end though leading to the Christmas special, that was pretty funny after a seemingly sad ending.

So... We get Torchwood this summer don't we ?

20. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I always forget the series doesn't follow the books, because in the Books Romana became President of Gallifrey...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.